1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.4.1.3
    Car: F-USA all gens
    Track: Fontana
    Strength: Any
    Aggression: Any
    Type of session: Race

The F-USA AI remain unraceable at Fontana. They beat the player by 10 mph on straights and then dump the brakes in the corners to cause massive pileups.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Car: Sprintrace
    Track: Ibarra
    Strength: 109
    Aggression: High
    Weather: (heavy) rain

AI does not know how to navigate a soaked track with lots of standing water. Because of this they drive through these pools and have to slow down massively.
    Won a very poorly driven (multiple shunts because of aquaplaning) race if 15 laps by me with a 1:44 minutes lead on nr 2.
    Making them drive on the dryer spots of the track will make them 5 seconds per lap faster I think

3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

In general, the AI still forces it's way through when being overtaken by player on the inside. They drive like crazy kids in multiplayer. They rather crash into a tyre wall or rush over the grass by cutting chicanes than give way, completely blind for situation.
    Also when racing each others, the AI still has no idea how to overtake on the inside after long straights, but stays on racing line and ram car in front. This is nothing to tinker a little bit for the devs, cause this behaviour is generally broken.

The AI also has way to much grip when driving on grass with slicks.

They still race you like crazy on their in- and outlap in qualifying, destroying the fast lap of player or another AI. Have set blue_flag_conceding to 1.0 in my custom files, but this has absolutely no effect.

These are game breaking bugs for ppl who like to race offline, often reported, but nothing has changed.:whistle:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Erik G

Erik G New Member

Car / Track used: GT3 class / Silverstone & Laguna Seca
    AI Strength setting: 100
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Luffield and Stowe on Silverstone and pretty much ALL on Laguna Seca
    AI Aggression setting: Medium
    Session Distance: 100%
    Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    Player Tyre: Soft Slicks
    AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): Hopefully the same
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): All

I've set up a custom championship and on two tracks (so far) AI struggle for a bit. On Silverstone they are very slow into and through Luffield and keep a strange line most of the time (very wide) and slow through Stowe too, and their chosen line looks weird there too. On Laguna Seca they brake too early for all corners, for instance the brake long before the 300ft brake marker before Andretti Hairpin and way before the first brake marker at Corkscrew.

That is all for now :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. spikerjack

spikerjack Member

I would love the AI to defend more aggressively their position. For example moving to the inside line in a straight or breaking a toe..

6. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

V8 Supercars
    Buenos Aires Circuito No.8
    AI: 103%
    Aggression: High
    24 lap race

05/08/2016
    Time: 2x
    Weather: Overcast to 2x random
    Progression: 2x
    Livetrack Preset: Green

- Curva Uno: AI could get a better line out of the corner imo
    - Confiteria: AI has a very wide exit here, hence slow
    - Curvon No 8: again quite slow second half of the corner and poor exit
    - Curva da Parga: AI is a bit slow during the middle part

[​IMG]

7. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Formula Vintage Gen 2
    VIR Full Course
    AI: 100%
    Aggression: Medium
    24 lap race

31/08/1970
    Time: 2x
    Weather: Overcast to 2x random
    Progression: 2x
    Livetrack Preset: Medium Rubber

- T1 Horseshoe: poor corner intro, too fast exit
    - Snake T5a - T6b: AI a tad slow
    - Backstraight: AI cars tend to drive in the grass on the right sometimes
    - T17: sometimes slow on the exit
    - T18 / finish straight: AI often loses much time here or loses massive speed, especially when driving near each other

[​IMG]

8. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

I think the real problem is that the AI can't very well distinguish between the fact that when you're not fighting for position, the preferred line is to enter on the outside, apex on the inside, then exit on the outside, but when you're battling, the inside line is generally the preferred one. They still "think" that the car entering the corner on the outside is in the preferred position and thus act accordingly (i.e. don't take defensive lines and back out of moves that should be easy to complete).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Erik G

Erik G New Member

I noticed backmarker AI often go for a different line in corners and stay there, sometimes resulting in the faster car not being able to overtake at that point. Could not that behaviour be translated to defending?

10. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

100% Strength
    Aggression High
    SuperV8 @ Bathurst

AI rolling on the final (Murrays) corner when they turn in too sharp and hit the inner curb, latest Sim version as of today

11. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

As physics were changed often throughout last year, the simplified physics for AI cars of some classes meanwhile need an overhaul, too.

Example:
    In early builds of the game, I could easily beat the AI in Formula_Vee at 115% strength. It was not a big challenge to throw those little buddies round corners with a slide and then rush out of the exit.
    Then, since one of the updates of last winter, you gotta be much more careful with those cars, as they are harder to control and tend to have more oversteer and I by far could not reach my old laptimes anymore, whilst the AI drive same times than before. So, now I must lower strength to 100% on many tracks to have a chance against them.
    I can of course live with that, as I know that I am just an average driver and lowering strength does not hurt in my pride.
    But beginners or casual racers who regularly drive with strength between 80-90%, will have a huge problem, because even lowering AI skills will not help them to compete, as AI still is way to fast for them on low level in many car classes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pipimax007

pipimax007 Member

Car:Formula 3
    Track: Velo Citâ
    Strength: 100
    Weather: Thunderstorm

AI is too fast in straights and fast turns. In slow corners, they drive rather slow, comparable to my skills. But on straights their cars are way faster. The same in fast turns. I got a p8 quali in light rain, but then I was overtaken by all of them before the frst corner! (not spinning out at launch btw)

13. Oubaas

Oubaas Active Member

GT5 Ginetta G40 #50 Aquila livery.

Outside, it's blue and white. From the inside, the car is bright red looking through the windshield.

The same skin in G40 Cup is correct.

14. pipimax007

pipimax007 Member

Car:Formula 3
    Track: all of them
    Strength: 100
    Weather: Thunderstorm

AI is way too fast in basically everything. Except in slow cornes, which produces a lot of crashes. I haven't tried other classes with this weather yet, but this one is plain impossible to play against.

15. pipimax007

pipimax007 Member

Alright, this seems to be an car class specific issue. I tried other formula cars, and they drive fine. I had a lot of fun in heavy rain races! Maybe the F3 wet tyres just don't work. It slides non stop. Even TC does nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Flo Renz

Flo Renz Member

Car:Group C Porsche 962
    Track: Spa Historic 1993
    Strength: 112
    Aggression: Max (Happens with all Aggression Settings)
    Weather: Sunny

The AI goes into Eau Rouge/Radillion like crazy and tries to overtake there which got me taken out a couple of times. They are also super quick through there which makes me pretty defenseless on the Kemmel but on the rest of the circuit their speed is normal and they behave ok. They slow down a little too much at Blanchimont and at the Busstop but thats better than getting bumped into the tail all the time.
    Also: The track limits on the outside of Pouhon are too strict. You can't go on the outside curb without getting a warning.

17. pipimax007

pipimax007 Member

Car:GT3
    Track: Bathurst
    Strength: 95
    Aggression: Happens with all Aggression Settings

AI in front of the player is too slow and breaks very early into cornes. AI behind the player is too fast and too aggressive. I can't finish a race without being spinned out by one behind because the guy in fron is too slow and I have to avoid it on every corner.
    This results always (ALWAYS) in a pack ahead of the player, one AI car, the player, and a pack of AI cars behind the player closer each lap, and causing a lot of crashes.
    Also, this track doesn't have a lot of room for overtakes, so they will try to go for a gap, run out of space, turn inside agian and hit the player. It's frustrating and not fun at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Flo Renz

Flo Renz Member

This happens on other tracks as well...
    I hope they are working on the AI because other than that the game is nearly perfect

• Like Like x 2
  19. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Taruma Chicane:

When overtaking an AI before the chicane, it is completely blind for situation, does not care about the walls and falls into some kind of madman-mode, rushing in from behind and rather crashes than let player go. In this case, player is also being taken out of race very often, because between the walls within the chicane, there is no space to avoid a car which gets thrown back from the barrier. Above that, when this happens in lap one, you also get exaggeratedly braketested by car in front, so that there is no chance to survive.

That is a general issue in AMS 2: AI which was overtaken by player before narrow curves always wants to do some strange counter attack although there is no space for doing so and provokes a crash. It gets even worse if there is a barrier and you have a car in front, too.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car:GT4
    Track: Santa Cruz
    Strength: 95

AI are 10km/h faster than the player down the main straight, doesn't matter if you're tucked in behind them or not, they just pull away and gain 0.5+ sec without fail.