1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Guess I won't know until I can get it all working and compare!
    And yeah, usually run with ASW on and 0.9, 0.7 FOV Tangent Multiplier in Oculus Debug Tool. Just running from a Dell G5 15 5500 gaming laptop with 10750h at 3.2 MHz and RTX 2070 Max-Q

2. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone with a Reverb G2 and using OC/OpenXR suffer from really bad Anti-Aliasing? like *really* bad?
    I've tried a few different settings in game and OpenXR but not cured it yet, it's very apparent and slightly off putting, not using either tool and it's smooth as silk but of course I then suffer a massive FPS performance loss so I need to run these. I can live with it but hoping there's a way to make it better, thanks

3. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I guess AA triggers/annoys some people more than others so I can't say my settings would work for you. The advice from mbuccia is that FSR and NIS are superior upscaling technologies than the one built in to WMR, so leave the headset's resolution at 100% and scale using FSR/NIS along with sharpening. I use 70% FSR and 60% sharpening, but I have a 3080, so have more GPU power to play with compared to your 2070S. The other thing I use in the toolkit is FFR with high MSAA in game with the recommended settings from the first post in this thread.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  4. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks, yeah it's definitely a personal thing, I have vast experience of OpenXR with MSFS so figured it's an AMS2 setting I need to play with so will try MSAA again and see. Oh and I'm on a 3070ti now, need to update by sig :)

5. MickT

Cool - that's much closer to a 3080 :) MSAA High is GPU heavy, but I found the gains from FFR account for that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. James Chua

James Chua New Member

I know that you need to create a opencomposite.ini file in the AMS2 folder but where is the original opencomposite.ini file located to add tweaks like
    “hiddenMeshVerticalScale=0.8”
    that was suggested in the ACC forum?

7. MickT

I don't think you need to create an ini file for AMS2 any more, and I don't believe that setting will have any effect in AMS2, but no harm in trying. OC will pick up settings from either a global config file or the local one. As for where it finds those, the log file will tell you where it's looking:
    %localappdata%\OpenComposite\logs

• Like Like x 1
  8. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Did the latest update on AMS2 break the openvr_api.dll file? Now the hud menus just smear really bad when moving your head around. Has there been an openvr update to fix this issue?

9. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

yep. In discord there are several messages, that the latest update has problems

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Finally got around to try Opencomposite with AMD card,

It works very well. My settings are:

OpenXR
    - Native resolution (ca. 3000x3000)
    - 75% FSR
    - 20% sharpening

In game settings
    - MSAA medium
    - shadows Low

I do not use FFR, since it is not supported by AMD, but it runs extremely well without it.
    I use sharpening strength 1.5 in xml file.

This results in a razor sharp image and 90fps with 25 cars with all the tracks I tried. There are some minor stutters here and there, but I don't think due to the performance, but something in the openXR is causing this, it also happens in practice when the performance is much better in general.

Specs: 6900XT, 5800X, 32GB

11. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I think FFR is broken anyways and is what is causing the smearing of graphics. I might go back to trying OpenVR without FFR.
    Does 75% FSR mean the image is generated from 75% of the original pixel count?

12. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Rendering at 75% of resolution and upscale to native resolution (or whatever you filled in the openxr settings, can be adjusted higher and lower)

13. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Tried fiddling around with OpenXR Toolkit keybinds tonight, still can't get the menu to show up in the HMD. Open Composite working fine by replacing the dll in x64 folder. What else to try?

14. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Tried system-wide install of OpenComposite instead of per game and still can't get the toolkit to work. No apps showing in the OC or tookit windows either???
    [​IMG]

15. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

should get it in VR with CTRL+F2

16. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Should, but don't, or with any other custom keybind combination either (CTRL+down, ALT+F2, CTRL+home, etc)

17. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Deleting folder from Documents didn't help either. I could try a complete game reinstall, but not sure I could be bothered right now. Too much fiddling and not enough driving!

18. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

I initially had this issue, i changed the modifier from CTRL to ALT.... and changed the F key to numerical So in my case Alt and 1,2,3...Alt and 2 brings up the menu for me.

19. MickT

If it's not appearing in OC, it's not using OC. If it's not appearing in toolkit, it's not using toolkit, so menu isn't going to work. From your screenshot the game is launching into Oculus mode - are you selecting SteamVR on launch? I have seen some users complain that even if they choose SteamVR, it still launches as Oculus. I don't know what the fix is for that.

20. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Yeah, I think that might be it. I'll have another crack some other night. I think there is a Steam setting somewhere where you can change the default OpenXR runtime from Oculus to SteamVR. That setting may make OC actually work properly, we will see...
    EDIT: yes, selecting SteamVR on launch and before installing OC, SteamVR would actually launch when that option selected and would not after installing OC, but appears it would just run in Oculus mode anyway. Curious...