DynHud (d3d9.dll) stuttering - A problem in rFactor, GSCE and other games

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Richard963, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Richard963

Richard963 Member AMS2 Club Member

There are many threads about stuttering in Automobilista. A solution for many people has been to disable DynHud by deleting/renaming d3d9.dll in Automobilista's main folder.
    I've found that rFactor, Stock Car Extreme and other games have similar problems with d3d9.dll.

Stuttering with rfDynHud in rFactor and GSCE
    There is a modified d3d9.dll (Wombat) which helps with the stuttering problem.
    UI, rfDynHUD, Spotter & Wombats.dll
    Game stuttering after a few laps (Post 8)
    I can't get it working with Automobilista.

Stuttering in other games
    I searched for "d3d9.dll stutter" in Google - lots of hits!!!
    People have also modified the d3d9.dll file to cure the stuttering.
    Here's a thread about Resident Evil Revelations 2 / Biohazard Revelations 2:
    [FIX] Temporary solution to frame drops and stuttering :: Resident Evil Revelations 2 / Biohazard Revelations 2 General Discussions

Post 79 on page 6 describes the theory behind the modification:
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    Signature scan for: 51 8B 91 98 00 00 00 56 8B 35 90 4A DE 00 68 5C
    Set 51 to C3
    This nukes the call the make makes (constantly) to create queries. More info on CreateQuery here:
    msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb174360(v=vs.85).aspx
    Basically this just allows the game to check if the device is out of memory or has other issues.

And Vertex the creator said:
    The lag is due to the fact that the game keeps waiting for the GPU to become idle. The fix is a proxy d3d9 dll that creates a fake IDirect3DQuery9 object that does nothing.
    If you want a source to the modding forums where this is talked about you can find it here http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/3399/fps-fix-gain-20-more?page=2

________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't have the knowledge to try to modify Automobilista's d3d9.dll for DynHud.
    Perhaps someone could investigate the d3d9.dll problem.
    Thanks for your help.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You could try using the d3d9,dll from SoftTH, it's a program used for multiple monitors but will work with a single one, once installed launch the config tool and select the resolution from SoftTH in the dropdown box, it'll be the same resolution you use for a single screen, SoftTH

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Richard963

Thanks very much for the quick reply.
    I got the d3d9.dll from SoftTH working with DynHud. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to help the stuttering problem. I used your posts in this thread to help me set it up:
    SoftTh users and DynHud..

I've tried changing several setting in the SoftTH config file, but without any luck.

4. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Interesting read, can someone help with coding?
    @gongo we miss you and your skills!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. RWB Charger

I would say it's possibly not the dll file then that's causing the issues, are you windowed or fullscreen? Whichever one try the other, windowed absolutely killed the game with the stutters it was giving.

6. Richard963

Thanks for your reply.
    I've tried windowed/non-windowed. I need to run non-windowed because I use VSync. The stutter is far less serious without VSync, but my old Dell 60Hz monitor is not smooth without it.

The stutter seems to be less noticeable with the latest Beta, but I need to do more testing. MSI Afterburner still shows large spikes in the Frame Time graph.

I still feel that this type of stutter is probably due to DynHud/Java. The stutter/spikes are not present when I remove d3d9.dll.

7. krusti

krusti RaceSimulatorItaly Founder AMS2 Club Member

I've always used AMS in window mode+no borders, no VSync and no FPS limit, because the window mode solves the ALT+TAB issue, never had any stutters (with AMD).

@Richard963 Also try the GID Plugin, it's an alternative HUD which use the d3d9.dll too.

8. Richard963

krusti - thanks for your help.
    I'm now using GID plugin instead of DynHud - no stutters!!!
    I miss DynHud's delta bar, but at least I've got smooth graphics.

9. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@krusti , @Richard963, I tried GID too but my FPS always dips too low at 22FPS only (980Ti GPU), don't know why. What do you have Control Panel and Inspector, if you use it?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  10. Richard963

I'm using a 1440p monitor.

Automobilista All graphics setting are on/full except:
    Opponent detail High
    Texture Filter 8x Anisotropic
    Shadows - High
    VFov 40
    FPS Limit - Off (I set 60 FPS limit in RivaTuner Statistics Server for all my sims when using VSync - I've read that it is the best limiter for curing micro-stuttering)

Nvidia Control Panel - default settings except:
    Maximum pre-rendered frames 1
    Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration Single display performance mode
    Power mangement mode Prefer maximum performance
    Antialiasing - Mode Override any application setting
    Antialiasing - Setting 4x or 8x
    Antialiasing - Transparency Multisample or 2x (supersample)
    Vertcal Sync - Adaptive or I use Automobilista's VSync
    Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames Use the 3D application setting

Nvidia Inspector
    - I'm not using this at the moment.

These setting give 250-300 FPS (constant 60 FPS with VSync - except for stutters) with 11 AI opponents. It sometimes drops below 60 FPS in replays with 8x antialiasing.

***** Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames - This setting was recommended to cure stuttering in a YouTube gaming video - I haven't noticed any difference in Automobilista.

***** I tried running Automobilista as administrator - 40 FPS!!!!! I don't know why.
    EDIT - Running Automobilista as administrator is working normally today. I don't know what changed. Thanks to Krusti for his help.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. krusti

krusti RaceSimulatorItaly Founder AMS2 Club Member

@sherpa25
    I have a R9 270X and i set the Radeon panel as the manual says, in AMS i have everything at full detalis at 1920x1080.
    Do you use Steam to open the game or the exe? Beacuse, when i open the game through the exe in the Steam folder, AMS takes some default settings like the refresh rate at 23Hz, and my game runs at 23 fps.

Furthermore, @Richard963, if you open AMS as administrator be sure to open first the AMS Config too as administrator, probably your game runs at 40 fps because it takes 40Hz refresh rate. Take notes that when you launch AMS as administrator, the config.ini in use is the one in the main AMS userdata folder, not the one in Documents.

Some of my friends have a dynamic seat and they use X-Sim to launch te game with no problems (as administrator), but, if they put the GID plugin and launch through X-Sim, AMS starts at the lowest refresh rate setting!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Richard963

krusti - thanks for your help.
    Running Automobilista as administrator is working normally today. I don't know what changed. I have edited Post #10.

13. sherpa25

Thanks @krusti, @Richard963. Unfortunately, FPS still sticks at 22 with GID. Tried different combinations (ie, Window mode, Run as Admin or not.. won't run if disabled, Running from AMS forlder or Steam, Config file maintains 60Hz). I'll keep testing, but don't any other new options.

14. RWB Charger

You are on triples?

15. sherpa25

Yes (corrected res 5840x1080).