1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is the exact issue I have. It doesn't happen as much with v1.4 of that ATMOS file with Yaw, but I do get the Red cars and game crashes occasionally. If I change to the same file without Yaw, I no longer get the Red Cars or game crashes. This has only started since the AMS2 1.4 update. Could this therefore be caused by some sort of change made in that update that could be rectified? Thanks for that Heads Up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not understanding what you mean. Some custom files changed the in game dampening to act as power steering so if you increase in game dampening, it made the steering lighter and easier and decreaseing it added more weight to the wheel. So if you increased the dampening in game, I coujld see how it ould possibly increase your oscillation

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This occurance with too complex/long custom FFB files dates back a lot longer than 1.4 actually. It can actually be unnoticed by some for quite some time until you suddenly get it after a while of playing.

Best recommendation to avoid it is for creators to have an eye on optimizing the files as far as it's still feasible. I can't tell you at which point it becomes really necessary (i'm not using custom FFB files that much).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I agree that there are no clear rules and each base has different properties. But with a dd1 and the custom V44 like you have, the oscillations are not because of the damping. These come from LFB and also FX in the in-game settings

5. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

In those files the dampening slider is set to adjust power steering, but it is still possible to adjust the dampening by changing values in the file directly.
    The sliders are just a way to access values inside the custom FFB file on the fly.

6. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Your files are fine, Daniel, and not affected by the dampening slider. I’m currently using a slightly turned version of v44, and no oscillations at all :)
    I think it was some of the earliest versions of rFuktor that was troublesome for me.

7. Michael Enright

I understand what you are saying, but I was using the Atmos file for quite some time, with absolutely no issues at all. From the second I fired up AMS2 after the 1.4 update, I instantly had crashes and red cars etc, so something was definitely changed in that update. Like I said, Atmos 1.4 With Yaw gives me some problems, but Atmos 1.4 Without Yaw gives me none. Thanks for the reply.

8. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Me too

Absolutely no issue here using Atmos 1.4 With Yaw

Edit: Changed a burned Video Card in July 21 ended in a complete reinstall of Win10 and AMS2.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  9. Michael Enright

Do you use Custom Liveries? If so, no red cars?

10. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

Total guesswork, but if its a case these big custom files are causing the game to run out of memory, then maybe this Atmos file was always very close to causing memory issues, and the AMS 1.4 update meant the game itself increased its memory use which is why the same custom FFB file is only now causing these issues?

Have always wondered if there would be any noticable conqequences of using these custom files, either in FPS performance or perhaps increased latency?..

11. Michael Enright

You are prob correct. But why???? In this day and age of soooooo much memory available, why does this game use so much for a FFB file? Maybe it just can't address all the available memory. The game is a blast, but this problem is weird.

12. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

No custom liveries

13. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Is there a basic ffb file that just feels like default
    Except includes the main perimeters for user to make slight adjustments to preference ?

14. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Select Default or Default+, exit the game and delete ffb_custom_settings.txt.
    When you restart the game a new Deafault ffb_custom_settings.txt will be created, I don't think you'll find all the same options as there are in some Custom files, but I'm no expert in Custom files.

15. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Yes tried this thanks it gives no options in the file

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's my last update to the file, I spent hours yesterday fine tuning it and it feels balanced for most cars, meaning they shouldn't need any gain changes per car.
    I may have been lucky but it feels really nice to me, so much so I'm finally done with fiddling .
    Gain 60
    Lfb 5
    Fx 50
    Wheel settings
    All 0 except
    sen auto
    ffb 100
    dri -2
    fei 50 (maybe 60)
    for 100
    brf 60
    I hope you like it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  17. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Thanks very much for this . I'm still using the previous file you posted , so natural feeling with just the right amount of feedback for me .
    What's the main difference between this one and your previous file ? Does the damper setting still act as a power steering control ?

18. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

i've just gone back to the plain default custom file that ships with the game, it's the best ffb i've come across

19. Michael Enright

That would be why you don't have the issue. Red cars only happen with Custom Override Liveries.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Balanced the forces a bit more and reduced high end forces to reduce clipping.
    Damper setting is the same but I never use it.
    Give it a go, if you don't like it you can always go back:)

• Like Like x 1