1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SIM Dashboard Community Designs Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XTRMNTR2K, Apr 9, 2022.

1. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Since the Formula cars are now covered, I think I will be jumping back and forth between different classes of cars for a bit.

The latest dashboard I finished is for the road-going version of the Ultima GTR:

Ultima GTR for AMS2
    [​IMG]

All features are straightforward - Speed, RPM, Water Temperature, Oil Pressure and Fuel Load, as well as a Shift Light and illuminated dials when the headlights are turned on. It's not a 100 percent accurate representation of the real car (battery charge is missing, for instance), but I like to think it matches well enough. I hope you like it!

• Like Like x 3
  2. XTRMNTR2K

The Formula Trainer cars in AMS2 have been a bit of a hot topic lately, due some of their driving characteristics that many perceive as strange. Personally speaking I haven't had a chance to properly drive them in 1.4 yet - only did a couple laps using a gamepad when I was working on their dashboards.

Speaking of which, they are now ready for action! To be honest I was, once again, surprised to see that the F-Trainer Advanced had a much more advanced dashboard display consisting of a whopping 4 pages! Needless to say, I did what had to be done and recreated all four of them in SIM Dashboard.

Here are the results!

Formula Trainer Basic for AMS2
    [​IMG]

Not much to say, really - a very simple design that provides the basics, nothing more, nothing less.

Formula Trainer Advanced for AMS2 Page 1/4
    [​IMG]

Formula Trainer Advanced for AMS2 Page 2/4
    [​IMG]

Formula Trainer Advanced for AMS2 Page 3/4
    [​IMG]

Formula Trainer Advanced for AMS2 Page 4/4
    [​IMG]

Now this is an entirely different beast! The level of information provided by this multi-page dashboard easily rivals most GT3 cars, which is unusual for an entry-level open wheeler.

Overall this design is as faithful as possible, with one minor difference to the in-game car being the behavior of the LED bars; in AMS2, the two low and high RPM LEDs each activate simultaneously on either side, which I could not properly reproduce in SIM Dashboard. While this would have been possible for the lights on the left side, I would've had to rotate the LED bar by 180 degrees on the right side which would most likely look strange. Instead, the lights still activate one by one on either side.

After I was done with these I also went back to one of my oldest designs - the Formula USA Generation 1/2:

Formula USA Gen 2 for AMS2

[​IMG]

A few things were bothering me, so I added the yellow line on top of the RPM bar, and also increased the font size for most widgets. Other than that, functionality remains the same.

Next up will be the Ginetta G55 GT4 - the only GT4 I have yet to do, and it's another multi-page design as well. Should be done one of these days, hopefully sooner rather than later (haha, I know I promised this a long time ago :oops:)!

• Like Like x 4
  3. XTRMNTR2K

So, about what I said with regards to the Ginetta G55 GT4... Turns out it's not the next design I finish... again! Sorry about that, but with the Chevy Opalas - particularly the Old Stock - receiving so much attention lately I figured it was a good time to have a closer look at them.

To my delight, all three of them - the 1979 and 1986 versions as well as the modernized, more powerful "Old Stock" model - share the same cockpit layout! So instead of just one class, this design covers three - nice!

Chevrolet Opala Stock Cars (1979, 1986, Old Stock) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

What I personally found interesting is the fact that this car uses some of the same instruments made by Smiths that can also be found in the Formula Vintage and Retro cars. The RPM dial, however, seems to be unique to this class.

Features are straightforward, with the addition of illuminated gauges when you turn on the headlights (same as in the sim). Enjoy!

• Like Like x 3
  4. XTRMNTR2K

Whoa, I just realized I'm almost up to 100 SIM Dashboard designs now! The count is currently at 98, to be precise! Not sure how I'll celebrate once I hit three digits, yet - I'm open to suggestions. ;)

As I promised (a long, long time ago...) I finally finished the GT4 class with the Ginetta G55 GT4.

The Ginettas are beautifully handling cars, and fast, too! I'll be the first to admit I don't give them as much attention as they deserve - but that's really hard considering the mind-blowing variety of fantastic vehicles we have in AMS2! There are only so many hours in a day! :D

Ginetta G55 GT4 for AMS2 (Page 1/4)
    [​IMG]

Ginetta G55 GT4 for AMS2 (Page 2/4)
    [​IMG]

Ginetta G55 GT4 for AMS2 (Page 3/4)
    [​IMG]

Ginetta G55 GT4 for AMS2 (Page 4/4)
    [​IMG]

The G55 is the only car in the GT4 class to have a multi-page display (aside from the recently added AMG GT4, which shares its cockpit with its bigger brother). Or at least to my knowledge - I'll actually have to go back and double-check, particular the BMW M4 (which I may completely re-do from scratch in the future, anyway).

Back to the G55, the display is authentic as possible - there's even the green backlighting when you turn on the headlights! One really minor detail that irks me, however, is that in order for the LED color to change on hitting max RPM, they have to start blinking. As far as I can tell, this is the only way to get the color change effect to work in SIM Dashboard as of now. It's a really minor thing, I know, but what can I say - I strive for nothing less than perfection. ;)

I hope y'all enjoy this as much as my other designs and wish you all a happy and relaxing Sunday! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. XTRMNTR2K

No new dashboards today, but two updates to existing ones!

First we have the F-USA Gen 3:

Formula USA Generation 3 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The reason I decided to update this dash was the less than great implementation of the LED bar. At the time I didn't realize I could freely rotate widgets in the android app, whereas the browser-based studio only allows for 45 degree steps of rotation. So back then I decided to use a single LED bar and hide the lights towards the middle behind the background. In essence, only part of the LED bar peeked through "windows" in the background, which meant I couldn't use the brighter light modes, either. If I did, it would have looked really awkward, with part of the glare being cut off by the background.

So that's fixed now. The background is now just one piece without cut-outs for the LEDs, and two slightly rotated bars are instead placed on top of it. Not a huge thing, but way more elegant if you ask me!

Chevrolet Opala Stock Cars (1979, 1986, Old Stock) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

As soon as I had uploaded the Opala Stock Car dash I realized how much the appearance of the RPM dial, particularly the rim, was bothering me. So I went back into Photoshop and created a custom background and rim for the RPM widget. Additionally, I also changed the look of the shift light (when active) to something that closer resembles the car in the sim.

While spending a few hours with AMS2 yesterday I also tried the 1999 Chevrolet Omega stock car after not touching it in a while. The last time I tried it, the car was always trying to kill you as soon as you touched the accelerator, particularly on corner exit. It still handles like a dog, IMHO - I much prefer the 1986 Opala, to be honest - but at least it feels much more reasonable these days. The instruments are similar to what is being used in the Copa Classic series, so I should be able to come up with a design for the Omega sometime soon. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. XTRMNTR2K

...aaand here's dashboard #99!

1999 Chevrolet Omega Stock Car Brasil for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The instruments are similar to those in the Copa Classics, as I mentioned before.
    For some reason I thought the car had a gear indicator when I started working on this design, so I kept it. It wasn't until later that I noticed I had been mistaken. Must've been a different car I recently drove that has an indicator partially hidden behind the steering wheel...

Anyway, aside from the gear indicator and fuel gauge (seriously?!), this is the same thing the car in the sim has. Okay, not quite, as there is one other dial that doesn't seem to be functional, same as in the Copa Classics. It appears to be displaying some sort of pressure - not sure what it's supposed to be, though.

Now as for my one hundredth SIM Dashboard design... I haven't got a clue yet. Always open to suggestions, though! :D

• Like Like x 5
  7. XTRMNTR2K

Today, my friends, we have an update to one of my older dashboards as well as two completely new ones - one of which once again consists of multiple pages.

First up is the updated Sigma P1 dash. The update is really minor though, merely adding the (long overdue) DRS activation lights the real car has:

Sigma P1 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

And keeping in line with the theme of prototypes, we have both P1 entries, the amazing and beautiful MetalMoro AJR (my 100th uploaded SIM Dashboard design!) with all its different versions - that share the same display - as well as the fantastically fun Ginetta G58!

As a side note, I used Michael Labajos' designs for those two cars until I came up with these. They're really well made, and a great alternative to my designs if you don't like them.

MetalMoro AJR P1 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

I learned quite a bit while making this design. While most of the widgets are as straightforward as it gets, the RPM bar in the center took some real effort to get right. If you remember my Ginetta G55 Supercup dash, you'll know that I already attempted to imitate the fill bar-style RPM "needle" before. And while it somewhat replicated the feel of the real display, it wasn't quite what it should've been.

This time around, however, I didn't settle for "close enough" and went all the way! The way I did this was by using the same kind of "needle" (a colored quarter circle), this time fully opaque. But one can only cover so much area, so I had to employ some trickery, specifically stacking multiple displays with modified angles for the high end of the scale on top of one another. This results in a bar that works just like it should. Neat-o!

Ginetta G58 P1 for AMS2 (Page 1/3)
    [​IMG]

Ginetta G58 P1 for AMS2 (Page 2/3)
    [​IMG]

Ginetta G58 P1 for AMS2 (Page 3/3)
    [​IMG]

If the MetalMoro AJR dashboard was the test run, the Ginetta G58 is the real deal. I took what I learned making the AJR display and refined it even further. The RPM display is even more detailed, although most of the other widgets are similar. There are no DRS activation lights here since the G58 doesn't have a DRS, and the flag LEDs are to the side of the LED bar. Other than that, it is a typical multi-page design.

To be honest I love how these two turned out! And I am especially proud of myself for being able to get the fill bar RPM dial to work properly. This also means I'll update (or even remake) the G55 Supercup in the future.

My current plans also include a proper three-page remake of one of my earliest dashboards, the Porsche 911 GT1. Heck, the old one doesn't even have background lighting when you turn on the headlights... :oops::rolleyes::p

• Like Like x 3
  8. XTRMNTR2K

As promised yesterday, I updated my Ginetta G55 GT4 Supercup display:

Ginetta G55 Supercup for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The graphics were rebuilt from scratch - or rather, I used the same overlay as I did for the G58 and MetalMoro AJR. This design was originally based on Michael Labajos' G58 dash, and the old graphics were entirely made up of widgets for the different shapes which have largely been removed.

However, while I was working on this I also noticed that the G55 Supercup actually uses the exact same display configuration as the the G58 (with the minor exception of a possibly bugged, empty fourth page that the G58 does not have). So if you want the most accurate representation of the G55 Supercup dash I recommend you use my G58 design.

But yeah, other than that, this is still a solid design, IMHO.

• Like Like x 2
  9. XTRMNTR2K

Far too much time has passed since I tried the Karts available in AMS2, so I just had to rectify that! And while spending some quality time with all of the different kart variants (did I mention Kartland is an absolute blast?!) I was pleasantly surprised to see that for at least three out of the "normal" karts, I already made the perfect dash - without even knowing it at the time!

I'm sure you'll remember the Copa Montana / Copa Truck dashboard I posted a while ago? Turns out, all of the karts except the rental use the exact same type of display. The rental kart doesn't have any kind of dash, so that means this covers all four classes of kart as well.

But then there is still one more vehicle left, even though it is mostly a kart by name...

Superkart 250cc for AMS2
    [​IMG]

This is a very cool and unique display, and very fitting for a kart as well. I'm a little surprised there's no gear or fuel display here, but I guess that's the way it's meant to be!

Next up is... I don't know. :D But one of these days I want to go back to the 911 GT1 and recreate it from scratch - with multiple pages, of course.

• Like Like x 3
  10. XTRMNTR2K

It has been brought to my attention that there are still GTs and Prototypes left without my dashboards - unacceptable, I say! :D

Specifically, the GT5 class (consisting of two cars) as well as the slower Prototypes are yet to be done. Some of these are quite interesting, actually - but also very detailed and/or complex, so they'll likely take me a little longer than usual.

The first one out of these is the MCR S2000 of the P4 class:

MCR S2000 P4 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

This had originally started as a centered/symmetric design with the LCD at the center of the screen. However, the S2000 also has a gear indicator left of the steering wheel (which is mostly covered by the driver's hands unless you have those turned off), and I wanted to include it in the design.

Another option would have been to simply add it to the LCD, as the layout does have some extra room to spare; I decided against it though, as I think it would have messed with the readability of the display.

As a bonus I decided to add two info popups, for pit limiter (replaces current lap time when active) and brake balance (replaces delta to PB). In my personal opinion the dashboard works well and looks quite good on the tablet - much better than this preview does.

If there is demand for it I could also create an alternate version that's centered and true to the in-game features - so no popups or gear indicator. Just let me know if that's the case!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Todd Norbury

Todd Norbury norbs AMS2 Club Member

More great work!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. XTRMNTR2K

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm happy to hear you appreciate my work! :)

Two more dashboards have been finished: The MetalMoro MRX Duratec P4 and the Puma P052 GT5. Each of them came with its own challenges, which I will explain in detail below:

MetalMoro MRX Duratec P4 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The fascinating thing about the MRX's cockpit is that it's pretty much all analog - very different from the MCR S2000! While there is a digital display unit made by FuelTech to the driver's right, it seems to be non-functional in the sim for now.

Even more interesting, it seems that the gauges used are the exact same ones the '99 Chevrolet Omega Stock Car has; so in order to not have to start from scratch, I used that dashboard as base.

The tricky part was fitting all of the relevant information on screen. While the RPM dial should take center stage, everything else is located left and right of it, so there is a lot of horizontal space usage, which is obviously not available on most android devices (my tablet, for instance, has an aspect ratio of 16:10). So I tried to strike a balance between usability and preserving the identity of the car's instrumentation.

The gear display and shift LED were added by me; I found it odd that the MRX didn't have either, and I could easily see this being retrofitted to an existing car if desired. As for the FuelTech LCD, it made sense to have some timing info, which is why I added current lap times and live delta to personal best. If the in-car display was functional in AMS2 I reckon that at least one of these two would be displayed there.

Puma P052 GT5 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

This dash may look simple enough, but there is much more going on here than meets the eye! I won't throw the term "masterpiece" around easily, but when it comes to the analog colored RPM bar, it's as close to that as I have ever gotten!

While most of the other features were straightforward to implement, the RPM display was anything but. Maybe you remember the technique I've used for the AJR and Ginetta G58/G55 dials? This here is similar - except I had to figure out how to do the exact opposite. :confused:

The other cars I mentioned use a single-colored radial fill bar, so it was still reasonably easy to simulate this effect with a colored quarter circle that I used as custom RPM needle. And, I could also stack several on top of another to cover as much of the dial as I needed. In order to achieve the multi-colored look of the Puma dash - broken up by lines no less - I had to figure out another way to do it.

My original approach was similar to what I had done waaay back with the Ferrari F1-75 Leclerc display; the ERS is transparent white, laid on top of a very dark red and green background. The background doesn't fade away completely when the bar is empty, but it's faint and gets "lit up" by the transparent bar when it fills. So this should work the same, right? RIGHT?!

Except it didn't. I couldn't get it to look good - the colors were always much too pale in the end, or I had to reduce the opacity of the "needle" layer so much that it was too subtle. So I quickly realized this technique would not produce the desired result.

One other idea I had had earlier, even before I managed to figure out the aforementioned technique, was similar, but with an opposite approach: Instead of forming the fill bar or using a semi-transparent layer to brighten the background, what if I hid the background instead and only exposed the part that was supposed to be filled?

In the end I figured out how to apply multiple black quarter circle "needles" in order to cover and then expose the brightly colored background. Since any kind of transparency would unfortunately result in visible overlaps between the needles, they had to be completely opaque. As a consequence, this prevented the faintly colored background to be displayed for the inactive segments, so I had to add another RPM widget with a transparent background on top of this. All in all I think this thing alone consists of 5 RPM widgets as well as a few black shapes to cover up certain areas properly... But the end result was definitely worth the work! :D

Overall, this dash is pretty much the same as in the game, with only minor differences; the RPM LEDs, for one thing, are fully functional, whereas the AMS2 car only uses the two outermost green LEDs. On top of that they activate at awkward RPM thresholds, so I assume they are actually bugged right now. For this reason, the dashboard LEDs are not in sync with the game - unusual for my designs, but here I feel it is for the better.

The other minor differences are the inclusion of a fuel display - it was odd there wouldn't be one in the sim - as well as a pit limiter popup that covers current lap time when active. Oh, and there's a headlight indicator in the top left; while the car doesn't have actual headlights, it does seem to have working taillights - so it can't hurt to have an indicator for those when driving in the wet, for example.

Sorry for the wall of text! I just thought it would be interesting to provide an insight into the creation process of these designs. Let me know how you like them!

• Like Like x 4
  13. ChrisPayne

ChrisPayne Member AMS2 Club Member

Mate. What an awesome job!, I can't thank you enough for hearing from a league "Down Under" and applying your talent to help us, and other sim racers.
    Awesome - and it is really interesting to read the design process - at least for me it is!

• Like Like x 4
  14. XTRMNTR2K

Thank you, Chris! I'm so glad I can be of help to you guys. :)

Today I have two new dashboards for you - well technically speaking, only one is entirely new, while the other one is an alternate version of an existing one. Here it is:

MCR S2000 (alternate version) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

As I had said before, I was considering an alternate version of my MCR S2000 dash. This one drops the gear indicator, brings the display to the center of the screen and makes better use of the available space (so the fonts are a little larger than before). This is the one I'll probably end up using myself over the other one, because I already have an external gear indicator (Symprojects GI Max Display).

Ginetta G40 GT5 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The Ginetta G40 cockpit instruments actually reminded me of the Caterham Academy and Supersport models, especially with the speedometer having both kph and mph units as well as a digital mini display.

A lot of the time I spent working on this design went into the visual elements - the background, dials and various elements you see. It looks pretty good to me, although I'll be the first to admit that the round Ginetta logos aren't fully accurate. Maybe I'll fix that in an update, but for now this design works rather well.

As a side note, the RPM LED timing is a bit unusual in this car. Both the minimum and maximum RPM percentages when they activate are relatively low, so don't be surprised that they will light up light a Christmas tree way before you hit the ideal shift point. The same is true for the shift light on the left, which activates just when the rightmost RPM LED turns on. This is pretty much in sync with the car in AMS2, and I decided to stick with it. That being said, it is easy enough to change if you want to. :)

Working on these more unique designs is always fun, even though it can be hard to figure out the layout or which elements to include or not. But there is always something new to learn, and the final result is often surprising, even to myself.

I hope you enjoy these! :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. XTRMNTR2K

Today we have one update as well as a new take on an existing design.

Ginetta G40 GT5 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

First up is the Ginetta G40 GT5; while I was satisfied with the overall design there were still a few things that were quite different from the actual car. For instance, Ginetta dials use dots rather than lines as markers, so I went back into Photoshop and had to figure out a way to do this accurately. The easiest way I could come up with was modifying a circle into a quarter or three-quarter circle and then place the dots as text along its outside.

The logos were also replaced with the correct version, and I brightened the carbon background as well as modifying the instruments between the main dials. The only new feature that isn't purely cosmetic is the inclusion of a headlight indicator; everything else remains the same.

After applying some extra polish to the G40 I finally went back to one of my earliest designs. In fact, this was the first dashboard that I made for AMS2, and the one that really started my journey towards providing appropriate dashboards for all AMS2 cars.

The Porsche 911 GT1-98 basically shares its display with the McLaren F1 GTR. While my previous attempt was based on the 911 GT1, I opted to go with the F1 GTR variant this time:

McLaren F1 GTR / Porsche GT1-98 Page 1/4 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

McLaren F1 GTR / Porsche GT1-98 Page 2/4 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

McLaren F1 GTR / Porsche GT1-98 Page 3/4 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

McLaren F1 GTR / Porsche GT1-98 Page 4/4 for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The main difference between the two cars is actually found above the LCD; while the 911 uses the 7 LEDs directly above the screen for various functions that are currently non-functional in AMS2, the McLaren goes for a more traditional RPM bar / shift light approach (going from the outside to the inside). The Porsche instead has a separate shift light unit mounted on top. After careful consideration I decided that the RPM bar would probably be more useful than a bunch of randomly scattered warning lights, some of which might not even work.

Other than that it's your typical multi-page display, providing information about the engine, session & timing data, fuel consumption and tire/brake temperatures. As usual, there is also blue backlight for the LCD when you turn on the headlights. (Which is also easy to remove if you don't like it.)

Not sure what comes next to be honest. I think there aren't even that many cars left at this point... :D But I'm probably going to work on the road cars, P3 prototypes or GT Open cars next. Can't wait to see what I can do with those...!

• Like Like x 5
  16. XTRMNTR2K

So I heard you guys like big, chunky V8s?
    You don't? Oh well, that's okay. We'll get you there. :D

Chevrolet Camaro SS for AMS2
    [​IMG]

This is the second out of the three street cars that are currently in AMS2. I'll be the first to admit that the dials aren't 100% true to the in-game car, but I like to think that I captured the style and essence of the car reasonably well.

Most things are straightforward here, although the measurement units are a bit of a weird mix: Oil pressure is correctly measured in psi, whereas I decided to use degrees Celsius for water temperature instead of Fahrenheit. The reason for this was a limitation of the app, as the minimum starting value can not be as high as 160, which is the lower end of the car's water temperature dial.

As for the digital speedometer, it uses the unit set in the app, while the in-game car oddly uses mph even though the analog speedometer has kilometers per hour.

Oh yeah, the battery charge dial? Non-functional. But you can totally add any other analog gauge in its place if you want. As always you are free to customize this design to your heart's content. :)

Me? I like how it turned out. Gives me one more reason to thrash the Camaro around the race track - as if I needed any...! :D

While I'm not making any promises, I will have a look at the McLaren F1 next. Once that is done, I can add the Street Car class to my list of completed AMS2 classes, yay!

• Like Like x 3
  17. XTRMNTR2K

Alright, so I did what I said I would - and I liked what I saw! The McLaren F1 LM was really fun to work on, and the result is pretty close to the real thing with only very minor differences.

McLaren F1 LM for AMS2
    [​IMG]

The dials are as close to the AMS2 car as I could replicate them; the inner and outer circles of the RPM gauge don't cover 360 degrees here (offset wasn't enough to do this, and I kinda liked this look that is closer to the speedometer as well), even though it would have been possible, i.e. using one or two additional widgets.

One other thing that is also easily missed in the real car are those two LCDs below the left and right dials. Now I don't know what sort of information they actually can display in the real car, as these are not functional in AMS2. That being said, I figured a simple air temperature display and clock would be likely as possible options, so I went with those.

Overall I am quite satisfied with the result! And even better, this also marks the completion of another car class in AMS2. :D

• Like Like x 4
  18. XTRMNTR2K

Today's new dashboard was made for one of the latest cars to join the illustrious roster of AMS2: The Ginetta G55 GT3 of the GT Open class. And as sad as it is I haven't had a chance to spend much time with it yet, but hopefully that'll change soon!

Being a modern GT car it's only natural the display holds a wealth of information, split up over three separate pages.

Ginetta G55 GT3 (GT Open) for AMS2 Page 1/3
    [​IMG]

Ginetta G55 GT3 (GT Open) for AMS2 Page 2/3
    [​IMG]

Ginetta G55 GT3 (GT Open) for AMS2 Page 3/3
    [​IMG]

One thing that made the creation of this design easier is that it has a lot in common with the BMW M6 GT3 as well as the Porsche 911 GT3. The rim of the display is the same one, so I used the graphics I created for the M6. The digital RPM bar is also basically the same, with only a few visual differences.

There are some differences between the LEDs in the BMW and Ginetta (timing, activation and mid/high LED distribution), but functionality is very similar.

The layout of the screen is clean and easy to read, so it won't distract you while you're driving, which I like. A few bits of data are also improved over the in-game car: There are brake bias and pit limiter popups (covering the gear display and RPM bar respectively), and ABS/TC info is actually functional (which does not seem to be the case in the AMS2 car).

As a bonus I decided to throw in some back illumination for the LCD when you turn on the headlights. It brightens the background, changing the contrast so the data windows actually appear darker now! It's still somewhat subtle but I really like the effect.

Let me know if you enjoy this dash! Maybe I'll take a look at the Ultima GTR Race next, finishing up the GT Open class, but I haven't decided yet.

• Like Like x 2
  19. XTRMNTR2K

After recharging my batteries for a few days it was good to dive into AMS2 and SIM Dashboard again. And even though I had only planned on finishing the Ultima GTR Race of the GT Open class, I decided to create a dashboard for the Cadillac DPi-VR as well - which was long overdue, I'll admit.

Ultima GTR Race (GT Open) for AMS2
    [​IMG]

A relatively simple design overall, though I had to create the background graphics almost from scratch. It is similar to the F3 309, but there are enough differences I had to keep in mind, so I couldn't reuse the existing graphics.

Either way, it's a somewhat standard GT dashboard, although a little ... primitive compared to the Ginetta or other GT cars. But it fits the aesthetic and philosophy of the Ultima rather well, so who am I to complain? :D

Cadillac DPi-VR for AMS2

[​IMG]

To be honest I can hardly believe it took me this long to cover the Cadillac DPi. It is such a fun car - powerful, fast and with tons of downforce - I just love prototypes! :)

In order to be more faithful to the original, I used a screenshot as base for the background graphics, and then designed the screen and added elements like the LEDs.

Functionality is comparable to the AMS2 car, though I took the liberty of adding water and oil pressure to the otherwise empty fields in the lower left of the display. There is also an info popup for things like brake bias and traction control, temporarily replacing the timing in the upper right. Last but not least, I decided to add a subtle background illumination effect when the headlights are turned out - but you can easily remove that widget if you don't like the effect when racing with the lights on.

• Like Like x 2
  20. XTRMNTR2K

According to Hollywood, everyone loves remakes, right? Right?!
    Uh, so there was this really old BMW M4 dashboard I made a long, long time ago, and I was never really satisfied with it. As my skills and style developed over time, I grew increasingly annoyed with that old, flat-looking dash, so I couldn't help myself and remade it from scratch!

BMW M4 GT4 for AMS2 (new version)
    [​IMG]

This is much better if you ask me. And much more authentic as well. There aren't any fancy features, at least not compared to some of my other designs, but it finally feels as if it belongs in the car. I was also thinking of adding an effect layer over the entire black part (not just the LCD) like a glare or reflection, since the entire area is behind a glass plate in the real car (at least according to onboard footage). In the end I decided against this however, as it probably would have been too distracting anyway.

I hope you enjoy it! And, as always, I'm open for feedback in general as well. :)

• Like Like x 3