How does Race Length Type "% Track Default" work?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Gevatter, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I started a Stock Cars Championship (AMS v0.8.6r, but is the same in 0.8.7b) and set the Race Length Type to "% Track Default" and set Laps and Time each to 100% hoping for the set values for each track in the championship.

On the first track, Goiania, it set the race length to "5 laps, 40minutes" - and the race was 5 laps. I tested this in a few single races with different track/car combinations, and it always sets the race length to the same values, always only letting me race 5 laps.

So my question is, how is this setting supposed to work, or is it maybe not implemented yet?

2. Tommi

Tommi Member AMS2 Club Member

Just tested, and you are right.
    I checked the files. And the default "RaceTime = 40" line is in "reiza01.srs" file (C:\...\Automobilista\Series), and it works.
    On the other hand, the default "RaceLaps = *" line is missing in both ".srs" and ".gdb".
    (By the way, GSC 2012 had this line in .gdb.)

For example, by adding "RaceLaps = 50" line to

1. "DefaultScoring" section in "reiza01.srs" (C:\...\Automobilista\Series)
    or
    2. "Goiania.gdb" (C:\...\Automobilista\GameData\Locations\Goiania\Goiania),

it works like this. (Note: 1 works for all tracks. 2 works only for Goiania.)

%DefaultTrack.jpg

I'm not sure, but ".srs" file was written based on the real racing series, so the default "Race Laps" information might be missing.
    But I agree "100% Track Default = 5 Laps" sounds strange. I believe the dev finds the best solution to this. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

@Tommi thank you for your research, I highly appreciate it.

So, according to what you found out and Reiza's development roadmap for the Early Access phase of AMS it now seems to me that this system is just not complete yet. If I recall correctly, I read about different systems like for example a two-race format for series where it is applicable. Having watched a few Stock Car Races on Youtube, I noticed that some races durations are given in time (50min race in Goiania) and others in Laps (34 Laps in Curitiba for Race One), so I guess there will be a lot more complexity to this and maybe the system as it is now is just a placeholder, and the standard "5 laps" might be some kind of default value.

• Like Like x 1