1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 October 2022 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 28, 2022.

1. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Maybe the pest to peer thing should be able to eject a connected user that has a slow connection to insure a good experience for others

some people perhaps use bad WiFi which spoils the online session for all, once disconnected a message saying something like “connection speed inadequate”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm lucky with my 1G/1G fiber Internet line. But in many parts of the world, DSL is still standard.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

upload_2022-10-31_8-40-51.png

Heh, bs? As long as it is region-locked maybe it is bs. I assume the UK flag there is an aussie that didnt bother to change his/her profile in AMS2.

AMS2 is not league friendly at all. Not only due to netcode, but also due to lack of important host controls.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Issues seem to vary from user to user. I am fine with my connection, etc etc. Only annoying bugs are the :

• Too many player bug
    • Auto-AI when someone leaves the lobby
    • Continue button doesn't work
    • Lobby being stuck cause someone keep auto-ai-ing or something else
    • Lobby just stuck cause it wants too
    • People leaving when they crash or whatever.. Oh wait that's not a bug. Its a feature, lol.
    But overally I've a great experience.

5. jmac_the_man

jmac_the_man Active Member AMS2 Club Member

NASCAR says they won't ban the Chastain move.

The reason wallriding is cheating in video games is because in most places, in real life, it won't work because the wall isn't smooth enough and you're going to wind up getting your front caught against something and your rear spinning around or vice versa. But in video games, the wall is modeled smooth to make collision detection easier and so wallriding "works."

If you had asked me yesterday morning if you could wallride against SAFER barrier, I'd have guessed no. Apparently you can. But the other kinds of barriers modeled in AMS2 (at F1 tracks and the like) aren't possible to wallride on in real life.

As far as NASCAR banning the move, this happened at Martinsville, which is the shortest and slowest paved oval they go to with a full field. Because it's so slow, you can put yourself in situations that would be dangerous at other tracks but aren't at Martinsville.

On Saturday in the minor league race, a guy in second place deliberately spun out his teammate to take first and the checkered flag. Last year in this race, in the closing laps, a guy deliberately wrecked another guy over the 18th finishing position.

Also, part of the reason the move works is because Martinsville is so short. Chastain got in the wall about halfway down the backstrech, and from there to the S/F line is about a quarter mile. At a bigger track, where he'd have had to drag his car along the wall for longer, the move wouldn't work.

This move is a thing that can only happen at Martinsville. NASCAR lets dumb stuff happen at Martinsville all the time. They're not going to ban this move.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

Another point is that Martinsville requires a lot of braking for the corners, on other higher banked short tracks, you would probably still be faster using the convential line.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

plus it was last corner so didn't need to carry damage through a race

• Like Like x 1
  8. jmac_the_man

Another good point.

At most tracks, the conventional line is close enough to the wall that someone would have been in Chastain's line accidentally blocking him and his move wouldn't have worked.

This was a one in a million shot. Chastain took it, it paid off, and now he's going to be racing for the Championship next week. The move will be in TV commercials for forever, especially if Chastain wins the championship.

9. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

But what about if most drivers try to do it at once? I know it can only be done on the final lap, but one of them is bound to get it wrong and can cause a crash, yes it's a slow track, but these new cars aren't the safest. I mean it was a brilliant move, but it may cause a bad precedent.

10. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

And a awsome group of lads they are too :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jmac_the_man

The problem with the new car is that the rear is too stiff and doesn't "crumple" correctly when you back into the wall. They redesigned the rear clip, to take effect next season, so that it's weaker and breaks away more.

This move is done by going into the wall nose-first, which avoids the rear hitting in the first place.

12. Pales

Pales Member

I'll preface this by saying that I have done very limiting testing so far following the candidate release, but here are my current observations after an hour or two of racing:

- Black screen when using ALT + TAB (Was an issue in the previous release and still appears to be present in the new update. You have to close and re-open to fix it)

- AI urgent lateral movement is still very much a game breaker in all scenarios of the sim for offline racing. The sudden abrupt behaviour for the AI to turn, battle or align with the racing line really kills the immersion, especially when the car just snaps into place. Would love for AMS2 AI to be more lifelike in terms of motion and the way the car moves. I keep seeing that this is being improved upon but when I test it out, it's still really poor compared to other games (e.g. rF2 or iRacing AI)

- AI still use the grass and dirt like it's part of the track every single lap, subsequently resulting in the track turning into a rally. I wrote about this in an earlier post but I imagine the reason why they're not currently experiencing the slipperiness of the grass or the tendency to get stuck in the dirt is because it would simply break the game. The current AI logic does not allow for the AI to navigate the road, anticipate a turning and battle without going over the grass/dirt/curbs consistently, so you would just have races where every lap the AI is spinning, DNFing or getting a penalty = which is not an ideal experience.

I'm honestly surprised point 3 is still an issue given how long the game has been out now, it's a pretty significant issue. Even with aggression set as low, I regularly see cars bashing against each other all bunched up and using the grass and dirt as the road - with no consequence whatsoever.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the biggest issue with the MP has very little to do with netcode or stability or any thing of that nature. Those things happen on all sims and is often due to the users own connection.

IMO, the issue is that there are no "official events" like with LFM daily races or Iracing or even with R3E and because of that, there is a lack of a true rating system. Players want to join "official" races set up by either Reiza or another official host that repeat every couple of hours and have different classes such as rookie, amature, pro ect. They want ELO and the ability to "rank up". I think many don't want to join a random race with random car on a random track with random settings set up by a random guy. They want something like the TTOTW that is officially hosted and controlled by Reiza but I think that they way the current MP is, this is not possible and may never be possible.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I also have this issue randomly. Tabbing out and back in usually works, but in some cases it goes to a black screen and I have to kill it w̶i̶t̶h̶ f̶i̶r̶e̶ in the Task Manager to close it. It happens something like once every 20 tab-outs. Might be my imagination but I think it happens more oftern when I'm on track than when I'm in the menu.

Triple Screens, 5760x1080 60Hz Full Screen, same Refresh rate as the Monitors, in game and in WIndows.

15. Marius H

Elo / Ranking is a highely requested feature since the very beginning but when Reiza introduced it only a handfull used it. People kept quiting early, rage-quiting, and all that. People happily siitting in the lobby with 1200 - 1400 mp rating... Some people, included me, do have rating above 1700 - 2000. I think maybe under 20 people. Maybe under 30... People seeking instant satisfation or think they can race without building experience, awereness and all that.
    I know iRacing is addicting due it's elo, but it's other world.. With stewards, money and other stuff.

16. Theodore Schultz

I agree with that but the way the ranking is set up now in AMS2 there is no punishment or reward for your rating because there are no official races that require a certain rating or no classes or licences to build up to.

This is separate from MP but also similar idea is lack of career mode. I haven't got to try this one yet but it brings more of a "purpose" to AMS2 and being able to have a direction with the vast number of cars and tracks. Championships are great but can get pretty repetitive.

Racing Life - AMS 2 Career Mode Companion App

I have used this one before and it is good fun to progress through the classes.

https://ams2-career.abesto.net/settings

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Marius H

@Theodore Schultz Well there's is some sort of punishment. The higher your ranking is the more you can lose your rating. I got a few disconnects due Steam-maintenance.. Stupid of me.. It gave me -30 x 3, and even double somehow, lol. And I once rage quitted cause the lobby was so frucking bad. There's punishment.

Alright, the MP-rating is very basic. In iRacing you can be temperorarly banned if I am correct if you ragequit too much, etc.

We will see how it evolves. I would love a separate Road and Oval Rating. Perhaps per class, etc.

MP + Mp-rating might not be AMS 2 biggest strengths, but it does the job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Here we go again, talking about AMS2 like it has no multiplayer as opposed to having a multiplayer which needs more work.

As others have said, quite correctly, there are several leagues that use AMS2 and the false conclusion arrived at by the nay-sayers is that the MP is the only reason why numbers aren't as high as ACC, iRacing etc.

Reiza could implement an iRacing like MP system tomorrow and iRacing would still have more people. After maintaining a subscription for a number of years and buying £1000 of content, the decision to switch sims will not be an easy one. How many people do you know who refuse to even drive in other sims because they take part in leagues and want to be ready for the next event without mixing handling models.

By all means, keep asking and hoping for the improvements, but please stop acting like the multiplayer is not functional, it is and many of us enjoy league racing in it. Just not 12 hour long enduro sessions with driver swaps.

Several people have come to the conclusion that a couple of lines of text about P2P means it can never work as they hope. I highly doubt that there is no way at all that this could be implemented, I have no doubt Reiza could make dedicated servers function on a totally different system using a standalone tool, whether they deem that to be worth the squeeze or something which is needed immediately is another matter.

Call me an optimist but I think we will see plenty more improvements yet and if you have been unable to enjoy MP then I am sorry for you. I have over 600 hours of MP in AMS2 and have been enjoying it since 2020.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Theodore Schultz

Not sure if you are addressing me or not but the MP in AMS2 works well for what it is. It has a great ability for anyone to pick up and start a race and have others join. It is the best sim for that. That is not my point. My point is that there are no "official races" on AMS2. No daily races or weekly or even monthly races hosted by Reiza.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Theodore Schultz

I understand you lose rating but since there is no licence or official races that require a higher rating, why would anyone truly care if they lose rating? Why would anyone try to build their rating? For what purpose?

• Agree Agree x 3