unrealistic kerbs

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by zaphod, Mar 16, 2017.

1. zaphod

zaphod Zaphod Christiani AMS2 Club Member

going through the posts I haven't found any comments about the kerbs in AMS that react unrealistic (imho) ending most of the time an unrecoverable spin.
    a simple touch of a kerb with a wheel is most of the times enough to loose your car and finding yourself off the track and that comparing to real-racing and other sim's makes AMSL very unique in the sense of avoiding any kerbs instead of attacking them like real world drivers.
    now I am wondering ... does everybody agree to this reactions of the AMS kerbs?!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Depends on the car you're driving and i'm not too sure if that isn't an error in suspension physics - because to me the Boxer is now way less affected by that than before the suspension update.

In the Montanas you can't touch kerbs at all without spinning.
    With Opalas for example this isn't an issue at all.

Of course there are cars that have such a stiff suspension and so little ride height that attacking kerbs will lead to lots of bad things.

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

There are certainly cases in RL where curbs can wreak havoc on car-handling but, it varies greatly depending on suspension height, travel, stiffness, etc. These differences are commonly seen in all the serious simulations - some of which are used by real racing teams.

Comparisons to RL racing would likely reveal similar behavior if not for expert suspension tuning and piloting by the race teams - some things many of us may lack. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. zaphod

zaphod Zaphod Christiani AMS2 Club Member

well thinking of an example: the F1 world-championship and watching those guys hitting the kerbs! there is no chance to copy that in AMS and I believe car-setting wise those cars are setup much stiffer with a minimum of ride-height.
    am I wrong?

5. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

Heitor Facuri Cicoti Good Member AMS2 Club Member

You could be wrong. If it is not possible for you, it can still be possible for someone else. F1 drivers are F1 drivers for a reason.

Here's an example of something I find impossible to do, yet someone does:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. yusupov

yusupov Member AMS2 Club Member

isnt it mostly an issue of suspension setup?? ill be the first to tell you that some people are just going to be slower, but launching over curbs is surely less of a driver skill & more down to the car/setup.

7. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

Heitor Facuri Cicoti Good Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, it could be as well. Although, in this specific case, Timo shared his setup and I couldn't do it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

I don't find kerbs in AMS to be any different than in AC for example. No problems with them at all.

Also fully agree with @Dean Ogurek

9. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK New Member

OP, are you sure you are not lowering your suspension all the way down or something? I don't have any problem with the curbs in AMS.

I'll tell you where I do have a problem - in F1 2016! They are terrible!

10. yusupov

yusupov Member AMS2 Club Member

fwiw, after the update i lowered the ride height a couple clicks for the f V10 @ adelaide '88 &, with very low fuel anyway, found i could attack the curbs quite aggressively.

not saying anythings changed but, at least with that car, its difficult for me to imagine theres an issue.

11. krusti

krusti RaceSimulatorItaly Founder AMS2 Club Member

Try Stock V8 - Copa Montana on Kansai - Curitiba, you will spin only for looking the kerbs :(

12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Today's release notes list that as being fixed now.