1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WORKAROUND] AMS2 - Incompatibility with Quad Monitor Setups

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by YayDanMan, Oct 1, 2022.

1. YayDanMan

YayDanMan New Member

Just wanted to report or see if anyone else has run into trouble trying to configure AMS2 for triple screens while having 4 active displays connected to their system.

See the image below for the layout of my monitors - 3x 1080p displays to make up the triple screen span (Displays 1-3) with a 1440p display (Display 4) above to complete the extended desktop layout. Display 2 is the primary display since I use this setup for non-racing games also. All displays are set to extend the desktop so that each monitor can display a unique image at all times. upload_2022-10-1_22-23-57.png

But if I try launch AMS2 on triple screens with the monitors configured this way, and all the monitor settings for triple screen use configured in the <triplescreensettings.xml> file in my AMS2 Documents folder, it just will not launch in triple screen mode.

I have to disable/disconnect display 4 in the Windows Display settings before AMS2 will successfully launch in triple screen mode, but then I have a giant black display above my centre display I cannot use - anyone else had similar issues or been able to sort out a solution that I haven't been able to find yet?

• Like Like x 2
  2. andylugs

andylugs New Member

YayDanMan I have the same issue with 4 27 inch 1080 displays. The plan was to have a sim hub dash on the 4th display above the centre screen but it won’t run this configuration. My work around is to connect the 4th display to another PC and use a browser to display the sim hub dash.

• Like Like x 1
  3. YayDanMan

YayDanMan New Member

Yeah I don't have it setup for dual PC use, is incredibly frustrating to say the least since it means going out of my way to change my setup just to try out AMS2 :(

4. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

You could try to force triple screen with the flag in the triplescreensettings.xml file:
    <prop name="ForceTripleScreen" data="false" />

Alternatively, you could try to recreate your monitor arrangement with nVidia Surround but combine screens 1, 2 & 3 into one lage display. If that works for you you could use Helios to switch between monitor configurations instead of faffing around with Surround each time: GitHub - falahati/HeliosDisplayManagement: An open source display profile management program for Windows with support for NVIDIA Surround

• Like Like x 1
  5. YayDanMan

YayDanMan New Member

The xml setting for ForceTripleScreen is already set to "false" and still does not apply correctly

And last time I tried to use a program similar to what you've suggested it would randomly drop out of the Surround profile, so I'm hesitant to try something similar again on presumption that a similar behaviour would occur, but I'll give it a go

The key of course being that I want Display #4 in my OP to be active at all times - will test later this week

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

It needs to be set to true, sorry about that:
    <prop name="ForceTripleScreen" data="true" />

7. YayDanMan

YayDanMan New Member

Right so returning to this thread:
    1. Can't run AMS2 using my monitor setup in OP without either disabling top monitor or switching to Nvidia Surround
      1. Well, technically I can thanks to the triplescreensettings.xml tweaks that can be made, but would have to remember to change left monitor in triple span to primary display just for AMS2
    2. Was guided to DisplayMagician, a display profile switching app (successor to Helios), that allows me to go back and forth between Surround for AMS2 (and other sims) and extended desktop (for other games and tasks) - has yet to crash on me so am reasonably confident in recommending it
      1. Also supports game profiles to allow it to switch the display profile, then launch the game for me as a 1-click operation
    3. Now to finally dial in AMS2's FFB and get driving, rather than head scratching!

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Jari

Jari New Member

Hi.. (sorry my english)
    I have the same problem.... incompability with a 4 screen... :(

My solution at the moment is:
    1º.- disable the fourth monitor in the nvidia control panel.
    2º.- start the ams2.
    3º.- re-enable the fourth monitor.
    4º.- assign that monitor to simhub.

but having to do this every time I play is a pain! :(

ps... I don't use nvidia sorround.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  9. Jari

Jari New Member

please Reiza.... fix this!!!.... I want use a 4th monitor for simhub etc...

10. Mikk Schleifer

Mikk Schleifer Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Even greater option you have is using your tripples for simhub too, just enable webbrowser in steam overlay and insert your favorite dashboard link, works wirh nvidia surround and fullscreen✌️ Check my yt channel for examples

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jari

Jari New Member

Not for me... I don't want use nvdidia Sorround. Also I want my triple screens clean of any kind of hubs... that's for I have a 4th monitor by hdmi.

So please Reiza,, fix this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Diego Norimbeni

Diego Norimbeni New Member

Tem como me ensinar a fazer, eu não consegui.

13. Rivanov

Rivanov New Member

@Jari I have created a work-a-round for this with the great app Display Magician.

Step 1: Disable fourth monitor in Windows
    Step 2: Create Display Profile in Display Magician with only your three monitors enabled
    Step 3: Re-enable fourth monitor in Windows
    Step 4: Create Game Profile in Display Magician for AMS 2 and set a pre-launch action that switches the display profile to the earlier created profile (with fourth monitor disabled)
    Step 5: Set post-launch action to switch back to previous Display Profile (with all monitors enabled).

Save the game profile as a desktop icon and use this from now on to start AMS 2.

I also have linked a hotkey to this game profile and use this with my Streamdeck. With one push of a button my AMS 2 will start, my fourth monitor will disable.. game launches and during the launch sequence my fourth monitors will re-enable itself.

When I'm at home I can post some screenshots from Display Magician.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Rivanov

Rivanov New Member

As promised. The screenshots.

Step 1: Disable your fourth monitor in Windows (via Display Settings). And save it as a Display Profile in Display Magician.
    DisplayProfile.png

Step 2: Create Game Profile

GameProfile_1.png

GameProfile_2.png

GameProfile_3.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jari

Jari New Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  16. Lab Pong

Lab Pong OG Sim'er

I use DM....and tried this. The game will not stay on 3 screens after loading correctly when the post effect changes back to using 4 screens.

Is this because I have gsync enabled on my triples?

17. Rivanov

Rivanov New Member

The fourth screen will turn back on after loading. That's how it's meant to work. But the game itself remains running on the correct three monitors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lab Pong

Lab Pong OG Sim'er

Yes that is what is supposed to happen, but it is not happening with me. Not sure why.

19. Lab Pong

Lab Pong OG Sim'er

I tried getting this display magician setup to work again. The only thing I changed was to edit the <prop name="ForceTripleScreen" data="false" /> to = true instead.

Slightly different, but still not working for me. It starts the game up fine with a hotkey on the triples perfectly, but when it goes to the last step of reverting back to 4 screen profile, the game moves to the 4th screen and the triples stay on with only steam start page on them.

20. Jari

Jari New Member

@Lab Pong... yeah... it's a bit tricky..

you try follow the instructions that @Rivanov posted.