1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.3.3 & Racin´ USA Pt3 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep, thats exactly what the Caterham does! V8's used to do it until they did some adjustment to front splitter, aslo DPI but that has also been tamed, they still go very light but the overblown lift has calmed down quite a bit, not like this or the Caterham though, which still have it

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I like this picture.. Had a P1 Nord race yesterday.. Guess who forgot to brake.. My front was going up... Hehe. Was awesome. Luckily I am so skilled I saved the car and continued battling pole... Which was a tad faster. No idea what build he was running. Had a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

A few of the mods have that front-end lift, but that doesn't surprise me too much. Some though, have that very real-world jump that very quick cars have on the same corner. You can see it all the time on YouTube, and this mod version of the Ferrari 458 does it perfectly.
    Love it!
    ss221540-Exposure (2).jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tarmac Terrorist

No doubt there are gunna be cars that will get a bit of a jump at Flugplatz, and of course its totally possible that a flat bottomed areo car could get serious aero lift powerful enough to flip it. Rear mid engine cars like the Ferrari are much more likely to get a jump like the one pictured because of weight distrubution. Even front engined cars can get jumps here but the first end that comes back down is gunna be the front. The Caterham just acts like a teriffying aero lift though, not like a front engined not very aero dependant car. Maybe im wrong but it really just does'nt seem right.

Check out this video, all of the cars in this video are front engined, and are all pretty heavy, big road cars, none are super speedy race cars, but they all seem to be attacking the crest at full pelt. They are all achieving lift but are all mostly coming back down front end first, however, (just to play devils advocate to myself) check out the the odd two out, The Mustang and the Merc CLS 500, which both almost come down rear end first, some interesting weight distribution there eh! Its all pretty interesting to watch!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The front (especially fenders) of the Caterhams actually produce a notable amount of lift.
    Arguably a bit much in the sim but they have more front lift than expected at first glance.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tarmac Terrorist

I've found some actual footage of a Caterham 620R cresting @ Flugplatz and interestingly enough, it DOES get front end lift! The driver does'nt lift as he goes over the crest and the front lifts (you can here the revs go up, and of course as soon as that happens he does lift), its pretty amazing!. So maybe im totally wrong and very happy to be proven to be so!, But it seems a lot more exagerated in AMS2, but im very glad to have found this footage as I've certainly learn something!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

notice in general how much more stable it is in real life, in ams2 this car suffers the ams2 slideyness everywhere

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Tarmac Terrorist

Sorry only just seen your post after I posted the above reply, but yes, seems it does indeed! Its great to see that AMS2 has has this kind of authenticity, but yeah think its exagerated. I've been very interested over the last two years watching this get worked out with certain cars as the sim has developed. The V8's for example used to do this exagerated lift when going over the crest of the mountain straight before Quarry Bend @ Bathurst (which they just don't get from all the RL footage i've seen). I had noticed this early on and used to eagerly read through the patch notes of every update looking for anything that addressed this until one day you brought out a build that said in the notes that the front end splitter had been adjusted on that car, that happened over the course of two updates actually, and by the second one, it was sorted! It was great to see, and also its great that if you damage or knock off the front splitter in that car you get terrible lift there again, as you'd expect. AMS2 alwys has something to amaze me!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  9. Tarmac Terrorist

Maybe, but it is definately a totally mental car! Check out this Lap by the Stig, think he's sideways more than he is not!

10. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

This bit stands out to me (3m34), but he is quite low down in the revs tbf. Is it possible that as it's a Sim we all have a tendency to be a bit heavy on the right foot whereas we wouldn't be in real life?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Tarmac Terrorist

Absoloutely so and bloody good point 'n' all! For instance he hits the crest at Flugplatz at 6000rpm, whereas in the sim im usually at 7000 by that point. Also hes in a real car with his brain telling him 'Don't kill yourself, don't kill yourself!'. We're in a sim with our brains saying 'Lets see if the car will do this without stacking it'

• Like Like x 2
  12. Demeisen

It starts as a jump. There seems to be a slight dip just before the gradient ramps up. The Caterham's suspension compresses (especially at the rear), and the car starts to launch into a 4 wheel jump. Before all 4 wheel leave the ground, the nose lifts for a second, pushing the rear wheels back onto the track. Audibly, it sounds exactly like that clip of the Caterham on the Nordschleife.
    ss124150-Exposure.jpg

13. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Certainly! What happens in real life when the car gets airborne, is that your right foot which is normally on the accelerator, is effectively in free fall ("weightless") just like the rest of the car. So unless a driver forces his thighs down with an extra 1G in preparation for getting airborne, pressing on the accelerator pedal suddenly becomes a lot harder, and usually this means lifting off the throttle involuntarily, which brings the nose of the car downward.

There is a (Jackie Stewart?) quote where he describes this exact phenomenon at the jump before Flugplatz, in 1960s formula cars.

The effect is even more extreme in cars with a lot of downforce, in which case the driver's legs will get airborne while the harnessed driver upper body and the rest of the car will get sucked downward at more than 1G. Upon landing, the driver might even accidentally brake when the left foot lands back on the brake pedal.

Going off-topic, this is one of many examples of reasons why real-world lap times are slower than in sims that try to get all the numbers right

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Tarmac Terrorist

Very good point which I totally agree with! We have no fear AND a reset button! You can try the same lap using stupid risky moves and crash out 1000 times apart from that one lap where you get a fluke and actually make the lap within a hairs breath of a major accident!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Demeisen

In the 'Caterham at the Nordschleife' YouTube clip, there's quite a gap between lift-off and the acknowledgment of the event. Clearly, terror had to subside before any comment could be made! :D

16. Tarmac Terrorist

Hmm this is making me think of points made in the investigation into Sully's landing on the Hudson about the differences between simulation and real life response times

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

I wonder how much "AMS2 is too slidey" is because the player has their foot mashed to the floor constantly. I took a spin in a new Aston Martin V8 Vantage around a track a few weeks back and I was pretty damn careful not to fire it into the tyre wall, I was afraid to accelerate until it was straight after the corner and I know in a sim I'd be tryin' to drift that mofo out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Tarmac Terrorist

Ok you've just made me insanely jealous you lucky git!:D But yeah, in a real car cornering at high speed (especially in the weat) IRL, I bet most of us would be scared of even going near the brake pedal mid corner to try and rotate the car for fear of even the chance of it causing us to go sideways into a tree or something. And yes in a powerful RWD how many times in real life would you ever nail the throttle to the floor as we do alot in sims. IRL I think folks are much more gradual and fearful of the trottle, try being this way in a sim (its a problem alot of folks in sims have, no gradual throttle modulation) and its immediately much more well behaved!
    You only have to look at the countless videos on Youtube of what happens when someone gets in a powerful RWD car and mashes the throttle. Relatively low speed disaster but, fecking expensive I bet!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

It was a super-car track day, not mine - so don't be too jealous ;) Also drove a Gallardo Performante, but the torque of the Aston made it feel much quicker even though on paper it isn't (or possibly because the instructor guy didn't really like me holding the Gallardo high up the rev range where it's meant to live).

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Tarmac Terrorist

Oh yeah brilliant! Tell me not to be jealous and then just, you know, causally mention that, not only did you get to drive an Aston, no, you got to drive a Lambo aswell!
    Oh yeah mate, thats really helped, I feel so much better. Yeah thanks a bunch! ROTFL!:D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 2