WARNING: Norton / Avira broke Automobilista

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by IceCreamKimi, Mar 20, 2016.

1. AchillesXI

AchillesXI New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm getting the same problem from Avira as of the latest update. I tried disabling Avira to perform the update but steam is saying "Disk Write Error". What did you do to fix it?

2. Wobbly

Wobbly New Member AMS2 Club Member

Still occurring for me.

3. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

Hi all, I just got Norton throwing away ams.exe as a Trojan here...

So I did a cache verify in Steam. But Norton threw the ams .exe away again. I got into Norton and changed stuff, but I don't know what/how to change this and stop this from happening again?

Anybody a tutorial on Norton what to do?

Thank you. Obrigado:)

Cheers
    Robin

4. Jempy

Jempy Member AMS2 Club Member

They are now looking into it ( deeper I hope ) ....
    This problem doesn't only happen with ams.exe, but well with many other game exe.

Personally, this happened with ams, AC recently, Rfactor 2 recently also .... and it made worse ... with a simple Fanaleds which was on my PC without any problem for months !

A thread was opened at Symantec's forum for this kind of problem for a game named Rocket League and some other Norton users began to join this thread.

Never had any problem with Norton for years, but if I have to disable their Heuristic analysis ( only way by now to avoid the problem ) .... rather leaving Norton for another software.
    This Trojan Gen8 detection seems much too exagerated and cannot make a difference between a real Trojan and something looking like it.

NB: Hoping it won't detect Windows as a Trojan ???? :D

5. millen

millen Member AMS2 Club Member

Just had a friend have his anti virus (Avira) block the latest 1.3.0 update... False positive still?

Should he just allow it through?

6. Jempy

I just submitted the file to Symantec.

Analysing ams.exe at Virustotal, only those are still positive:

Bkav W32.HfsAutoB.2BD0 20170228
    CrowdStrike Falcon (ML) malicious_confidence_98% (W) 20170130
    Cyren W32/Troj_Obfusc.N.gen!Eldorado 20170228
    Endgame malicious (high confidence) 20170222
    F-Prot W32/Troj_Obfusc.N.gen!Eldorado 20170228
    Symantec Trojan.Gen.8 20170228

No problem for all others.
    If their experts cannot make a difference between a false and real Trojan, sorry but I don't pay them for being their beta testers !
    Or they find the way to make the difference ... or they'll be out of my PC.

All Trojan Gen 8 Norton detections submitted were false positive ones. I'm waiting here for their response.... but already sure it'll be a new false positive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jempy

False positive of course !
    If next Automobilista update is once again treated as Trojan Gen.8 .... bye bye Norton and one more user for a long time lost !

If this customer must decide himself Trojan or not Trojan, accept or delete .... no need to pay for such a own final decision. A simple free security software is enough !

8. Freddy Ozanne

Freddy Ozanne New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi same problem here!!! I would like to know how fix that please?
    Sorry for my english.

9. Freddy Ozanne

Freddy Ozanne New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys same problems with avira. What can i do please?
    Sorry for my english.

10. Woodee

Woodee Simracing Junkie AMS2 Club Member

Add the AMS folders to your on-demand scan exclusion list. Including the downloading part!

[​IMG]

11. Woodee

[​IMG]

Close steam, add exclusions like above. Delete the AMS folder (can't remember the ID it is) in the downloading folder of your steamapps folder, then restart your PC.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Woodee

• Like Like x 1
  13. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear people are still having issues with Norton / Avira. Unfortunately they keep triggering false positives as we update our exes.

For what is worth, our exes are scanned by various AV programs through closed beta and then on AMS Beta, before they make it to release so we can assure AMS present no security issues to your system.

14. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

I think the main reason is the update on .exe, let me explain, antivirus detect a change in the .exe and the antivirus can't be able to tell if this is a volontary change or a malicious one done from a virus so it blocks the update on .exe.
    So guys, just follow @Woodee , add the folders to exclusions and you are ready to go, antivirus are overprotective sometimes...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jempy

I'm for the moment in a big fight against those idiots at Symantec .... the ams.exe files was already reported and their answer received in March 01 2017 their message declaring the file as false positive.

All I got as answer after coming back at the previous thread I already was busy:
    - ask the editor to request a 'Whitelist' ... sure that at the 3d time ams.exe is updated it will have to be done again ...... and Reiza's answer should be: change your Antivirus software and they should be ... right.
    - report as false positive: .... do we have to do it 100 times ? as I'm surely not the only one reporting it.

My next answer will be: farewell Symantec ... you're too stupid to make a difference between a real Trojan and a false positive .... I don't need such paying oddities ... idiots out of my PC ! :mad::mad:

Their last answer just now:
    There must be something in the code that triggers the Norton detection. Some behavior that resembles something that malware might do.

Unless the developer gets the product whitelisted, each time a new version is sent out, it will have a new hash and will appear as a different product to the Norton Scans. If it exhibits the behavior of a possibly malicious program, it is going to get flagged.

Sorry if we are not giving you the answer you are looking for.

My decision is taken now: after 20 years as Norton Internet Security user .... I'm now uninstalling Norton for another Security Software and definitively.

NB I'd be really laughing if Norton should detect itself as .... Trojan Gen8 ! :D and why not Microsoft also ????