Automobilista Time Trial Challenge - Season Completed!

Discussion in 'Automobilista - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Kostis Vigos

Kostis Vigos Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know if I should be happy I passed or disappointed I barely made it with 55.043..!

Anyway, are you guys going to announce officially the limit of the 107% rule or we're just at 51.815*1.07=55.442?
    Will you have a table counting people's entries somewhere?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hotlap Masochist

Better be ;) Well played, chap.

I'm quite satisfied with P3, and a P2 setup, out of 515 entries. Only a tenth and a bit off, too. Not bad running all in all

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Tim O'Glock

Tim O'Glock Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I really didn't mean to wait until the last moment to set a time but I also didn't want to share my setup too early and risk someone beating my time with it. I hope we will eventually get the option to disable setup sharing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ethan Dean

I figured this was the case as to why you'd not set a time for most of the week, and I completely agree with you. Once Matty beat me in the middle of the week I decided that I'd adopt this strategy too.

Sorry to the guys lower in the order who benefit from the setup-sharing feature, but a huge competition is not the place for this to happen. Just to save waffling on about it yet again, my extended thoughts here.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Matty28

Matty28 Member

I spent 3 hours last night lapping repeatedly and I couldn't even get within 1 tenth of my previous best with either setup :(

What's going on with the round 2 leaderboards? Error on the web leaderboards and no TTOW in game.

6. Tim O'Glock

Tim O'Glock Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The TTOTW leaderboard appears to be broken.
    leaderboard.jpg

7. tiagoepx

tiagoepx New Member AMS2 Club Member

The combo F-v10 + Kansai "GP" is not avaiable in the time trial lists in game.
    It should be Kansai Full

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This is corrected now, thanks for the report.

That is expected behaviour but not great. It's because there are no laps yet for this week. The build going up later today will provide more appropriate feedback and show last weeks results if no laps are set yet.
    107% time will change as the first place lap changes through the week. Today's update will include this info on the TToW page.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

When you run the TToTW combo there is a button in the garage timing screen to switch between the all-time best laps and the TToW laps.

10. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Round 1 of the Time Trial Challenge finished last night - a lot of action took place at Velopark with over 500 drivers registering lap times!

Full results are available on Virtual Xperience The brits dominated the top 4 results, with Turks (aka @Tim O'Glock) taking the top stop. Congrats to him!

The clock for the second round is already running - from Velopark we head to Kansai with the Formula V10.
    AMS 2017-04-21 20-11-15-05.jpg

To participate in this second round, select one of the Formula V10 cars and Kansai Full in Time Trial mode to set your time - you may then attempt to improve it at will over the course of the week, and it will be automatically exported to both regular leaderboard and the TT Challenge board. Only laps scored from April 24th 0:00 GMT to April 30th 23:59 GMT will count for this 2nd round of the Time Trial Challenge. Make sure to get your time in to secure those participation points - if the time is within 107% of the best you´ll already be in with a chance to win a Stock Car Seat!

Good luck all!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Hey "Tim O'"

Are there any AMS cars you are not able to drive to the front of a leader-board? Or any tracks that give you trouble? It doesn't appear so from your results!

12. Ethan Dean

Brought a tear to me eye mate. Bloody good show from me Logitech direction-disc and go-stop-stompers to allow me to goon me computerized rollingham to the podium

dog save the queen

• Like Like x 1
  13. BB36

BB36 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I concur. It would be fairer to announce the car/track of the week, disable the car setup download button on Day One of that combination, then open up downloads of TTOW Car Setups immediately after that week's challenge has ended.

This helps make the competition fairer and gives casual racers like me a chance to see how I really do against the competition, and then later how much better I perform by downloading others' car setups.

I don't think it is too late to implement this rule amendment.

The participation prize gives me incentive to keep trying each week even if I don't have the skills or car setup to reach the top of the leaderboard, although I think it could be opened up to 115% - 120% as casual racers like me love the game but are just no good at it but still want a chance to win. This would incentivise participation.

If this Time Trial Challenge was to run in perpetuity there are enough different Reiza car / track combinations to last the lifetime of any game.

14. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

We thought that disabling Steam Cloud sync would be a viable loophole for those who preferred to protect their setups but that doesn´t seem to be working as expected - we´re looking into a reliable alternative to that to prevent setup sharing.

Personally I´d rather not have that loophole at all, and there are a few reasons why I feel that to be overall the most positive approach at least for this particular competition. At the same time I completely understand the view from those competing at the sharper end who would prefer to protect their setups.

There will be an update halfway through the competition to offer the option to block setup sharing so that setup development can still provide a decisive edge to the overall winner - for the next few rounds however it will remain as is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Matty28

Matty28 Member

Lol I knew this would happen. For once setups don't completely rule me and everyone who can't do setups out of the competition before we've even tried and now it's going to be reversed half way through after I've wasted many hours on the first two weeks. I may as well have just set 1 lap and forgot about it, there's zero chance of me winning.

I get why people don't want to waste their time gaining a competitive edge for others to then use against them, but can we not for once have a time trial comp without the secret potions? Just disable setups then everyone has the same tools and it's all about the driving. I thought that was the whole point in this competition.

If you want to allow 115-120% people to get points you may as well scrap that part altogether and just enter all participants into it, I mean 120% is miles off the top time, anyone could do it, it would enter 508/515 of last weeks competition.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
  16. BB36

BB36 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Please don't block permanently. Just block for the duration of the week's Time Trial competition (i.e. still record the setup, just disable the ability to download it temporarily).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. taris

taris Member

It would be nice if we could see how many laps each driver have done.

18. taris

taris Member

Agree. If the top player turnoff your setups shares I wont have reason to play this challenge. I am very grateful for the setups shares in this week, but even so I stayed 2s ago and stay 6s at now. If the setup sharing turnoff I will stay above the 107% cut off time

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. taris

taris Member

If the game or virtualexperience could have this option, Reiza could create a limit for the driver to download the setup. Maybe the Driver must be have at least 50 laps to be able to download the setup.

20. Ethan Dean

There's a difference between "can't" and "won't". It's not rocket science. I thought it was, but you'll quickly see how simple and logical the adjustments are if you just try. Your "zero chance" is a choice.

If you want to be successful in serious simracing competitions with prizes on the line, then put the effort in. I cannot understand how you want to win this entire competition, with a clear conscience, by freeloading off others' efforts towards the same goal and only fighting half the battle.

In fairness, I do agree that if the intent of this competition was 100% focus on driving ability, then it would be better overall if it was fixed-setup for all. I feel like these competitions should be all about ability in both driving and setup, though, to find the overall well-rounded drivers, but I digress.

Renato has said what he's said, and I'm sick of talking about it, so that's my final word on the matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1