1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Whilst the on screen option says "real time" my theory is that the bug in championships has it set to "sync to race" no matter what the options say... As the descriptions of the bug existing without time acceleration match sync to race being used...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Interesting, I guess I'll need to read up on engines some more.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Scar666

That would be perfect for a lot of little annoyances...

Take the Formula V12, with those sliders it'd be far easier to have the Life and Subaru out there if they had less horses and more weight...

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Scar666

This is what to expect with "sync to race" on... 24 weather slots spread out over the race distance...

I believe there's a bug in championship mode that sets "sync to race" to on whenever time acceleration isn't used... Just a theory of mine going from others complaints...

This is my understanding... Each hour represents a slot...

I believe the weather transitions are the same no matter if it's real weather or custom... It randomly chooses when to transition to the next slot... So you won't get rain starting at the same time every time you load up a session...

Again this leads me to believe more in my theory that when no time acceleration is used in championship mode that it's stuck on "sync to race" and not what the options say...

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That is a lot of "ifs". And to add to that "if" the the 6 cylinder turbo had all that work done too then you are back to square 1 with the 6 pot being better on fuel than the v8. There is not really anyway a bigger capacity is going to be better on fuel than a smaller capacity engine with the same technology in it. Aero will play some part in making it more slippery through the air and use a little less juice but v8s arent built for economy

6. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Those are no "ifs" mate. They are facts that compound some of the reasons why the C9 was the top dog of Group C. "Ifs" are what you are saying about what could have happened with the Flat 6 engine. It did not happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. F1Aussie

Probably need the same tech in the engines to really know. A V8 nowadays makes more power than those of old with better economy cos of the tech in them. Sounds like the C9 engine was either ahead of its time then compared to its competitors or its competitors just did not do as good a job, that is possible. Just look at the F1 engine in recent years, a fair bit of difference between them initially with the same ruleset and tech

8. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Porsche entered the 956 with a 2.65L engine and electromechanic fuel injection at the dawn of Group C in 1982. Sauber was also racing then and there, but the partnership with Mercedes started in 1985, and the C9 appeared in 1987. By this point, Porsche had kept evolving their car but they were looking out of sports prototypes. They did not even finish that season before pulling the plug on the works team. Porsche did show up at Le Mans in 1988 which what can be described as the ultimate 962C, with the car tuned and prepared to its very extreme, outputting 880 HP on Q trim. The C9 by then was a force to be reckoned with, winning its lion share of WSPC races, but tyres let them down, and a 220 mph blowout in night qualifying forced them to withdraw from the event. Porsche did not keep competing officially after this, but Sauber did, and the whole package kept on improving, becoming unbeatable by 1989. Their perfectionism, coupled with the engine choice which was simply perfect for the task, was too much for their rivals.

For 1987, the fuel RON specs were mandated to be lowered, which hurted Porsche and favoured Jaguar and their big normally aspirated V12. For truly keeping up, they would have needed a new car with a brand new engine that would also have given them room to shape venturis as required, as the design was pretty much same as 1982, and with the increased engine outputs they were now stalling on the last third of Mulsanne Straight as Jaguars with less power output sailed by, repassing them after having gotten by the cats after Tertre Rouge. Porsche management decided they have hit diminishing returns zone and instead focused on going to Indianapolis.

If I'm not mistaken, the specs represented in game are the 1989 Sauber C9, against a 1987 Porsche 962C. The latter has no chance in any possible metric outside a downpour.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Demichkd

Demichkd Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This seems to work. Delete just the savegame folder from >Documents > Automobilista 2 after backing up. Launch SIM, change something to recreate the savegame folder( I change FOV), exit. Paste your original default.controllersettings.v1.03.sav and default.localsettings.v1.03.sav. to new savegame folder(not default.sav). View back to default and controls retained.

There are other changes though back to default caused by not pasting original default.sav file which causes view not to return to default.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I believe the way it works is that the RealWeather data is hourly, but the game randomizes the start and end periods of each weather slot, as it does when you pick random weather.

For example, if I have a one hour P session, and I chose four weather slots, all random, the timing of the transition from one slot to the next is not at exactly 15, 30 and 45 minutes after the start of the session. There is some variability to makes things more interesting. Also, remember, the "random" weather is not random, but variable within whatever is plausible for the location and date. So, drier or wetter regions or times of the year will still be drier or wetter even when "random" is selected.

I believe the RealWeather will also vary the transition points in a similar manner. But RealWeather means you shouldn't be getting multiple transitions in short periods of time unless you use artificial settings to accelerate things, which probably won't work well with HOURLY weather data no matter how hard any of tries to make it so. I would only use RealWeather with non-accelerated time because that's the only way it can be "real." If you want accelerated time, just pick random and you will still get "appropriate" conditions for the weekend.

It should be obvious that unless you are doing very long/realistic length sessions, RealWeather won't give any transitions.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Marc Collins

As I stated earlier, the UI only shows the race date, so you have to use your imagination for the rest of the weekend. Hopefully, we will see a clock and calendar of some sort soon that can be referenced at all/any times while in a weekend or championship.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Marc Collins

This works until the game adds some new controller mapping or functionality. Usually that is noted in the official change log, but...just beware in the future.

13. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Guys, generally the first indicator of how efficient is an engine per unit of fuel is its compression ratio. If you compare those values you will have a first order understanding of which of them has the highest thermodynamic efficiency.
    Then there are obviously other factors chief among them the aero efficiency/drag and the technology for fuel management (carburetors or FI or DFI and additionally the capability to cut-off fuel injection off the gas.
    But the very first level is compression ratio as that dictates the max thermodynamic efficiency of the engine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the weather time progression is independent from the race time progression, seeing that they are both separate options and it gets grayed out when using real weather. I think the weather will transition from the overall length of the race, not the accelerated time.

If I do a 30 minute race using real weather, it will take whatever the weather was in the location on those 30 minutes of the date you chose, even if you put 20x time progression the weather will not change if it did not change in real life. At least that's how I see it, maybe a dev could chime in and clear it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. F1Aussie

I get the impression that this is a series you had great fondness for. Is there any equivalent series to it nowadays?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The WEC is basically the modern day equivalent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Scar666

And for a few years it was more enjoyable than F1 with more cars fighting for the win in the lead class than in F1... Lately though sportscar racing has hit another plateau like it had back in the 80s... And again the organisation is to blame...

The new hypercar class is still in it's infancy and with a few big names returning it could be a good period for the WEC starting as soon as this year... Just need the big names to stick around a bit longer than they have in the past...

• Like Like x 5
  18. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Besides what others said above me, AFAIK there was no other international series applying a fuel quota rule as the main drive of it to equalize technologies. It also did not rely on homologations, so privateer teams were free to modify the cars and improve them in some ways, as long as it complied with the rulebook.

19. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Yes! And it's one of the reasons why Joest was able to beat the works team with a 956 in LM24 1985, as they tuned the engine on their own and went aggressive with the compression ratio from the original 7.5:1 ratio to 8.8:1! Such things were not possible for the Flat6 after fuel RON was set at 95 in 1987. And Porsche nearly lost that LM24 thanks to the fuel provided being actually RON94 and burning the pistons, something that did not affect Jaguar. The way the works team tackled the problem and came up with a solution mid race is one of my favourite tales in motorsports :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

Has the release candidate become a main release? Is there patch notes anywhere?

Steam is downloading a 1.36GB update...