1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Main release isn't out yet.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

Thanks Crimson.
    What's the download?

3. CrimsonEminence

I can't say. Maybe you weren't actually downloading the branch yet and steam just did it or is the [releasecandidate] missing next to the Automobilista 2 name in library?

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

I switched back to the main branch (if that's what's it's called) from the release candidate and the download started.

Having completed, I then switched back to the release candidate and now that's got a 2.3GB download! Just wondering what it's all about.

5. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You're updating the files on your machine each time you switch branch. You're just reverting back to the old version and then back to new.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

Backroll and update sizes of downloads don't need to be necessarily equal in size. Each time you switch the branch, steam will automatically start the download process for the respective version.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

That makes sense, thanks. And to Crimson for the prompt responses!

8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, fingers crossed the BOP is fair, I would prefer no BOP, but nowadays it seems only F1 is able to thrive without it and the high costs and/or domination by a single team that can come with it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think with the fuel rules in Group C they were basically pushing for fuel efficiency, that's the incentive that was set. Was the C9 more fuel efficient than the Porsche? Idk, they probably were similar as both Sauber Mercedes and Porsche certainly knew what they were doing. One thing's for sure, it wasn't less efficient as it not only dominated in '89 but also kept winning until the C11 entered the arena in 1990.

Why was it so dominant? Probably a combination of factors, reliability, drivers, engineering, strategy, it was and still is a team effort. No one wins championships alone. In endurance racing not the fastest teams win but those who spend less time in the pits, so reliability is probably more important than fuel efficiency.

Imo before Reiza made these changes to balance the class you probably had no chance to win a race if you picked the Porsche on a speed track like Spa '70 or Monza '91, even on Spielberg Historic, but on twisty tracks you were better off picking the Corvette or the Porsche. So I think even with the online short race mentality which unfortunately exists (not only) in AMS2 you'd see more Porsches at Laguna Seca e.g. Imo a BoP wasn't necessarily needed.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And I don't see the problem of not being able to win in a slower car either, just like what happens with real drivers.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with you, I'll take a fun, clean race over a win, but let's say you want to win races it'd be very unlikely with the Porsche at Monza e.g. due to the Nissan and the C9 being so much faster on speed tracks.

That's why I think it's shame that most races are 5 or 6 laps. In longer races you could win in a Porsche, you can recover from mistakes, other people can make mistakes etc.etc. In a 5 laps race most people think 'let's take the Nissan and quickly drive away' and you end up in a Nissan/C9 lobby with your Porsche. That's not much fun either.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

The RealWeather has hourly resolution, so yes.

13. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not sure if that's true, F1 has very strict design rules, heavy restrictions to test and a cost cap and all this to keep the field close together

14. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh but I agree, every sport needs its rules and restrictions, what I am not a fan of is handicaping the best to create a false "parity" for the others that didnt manage to do the job.
    Just not a fan of it on what's supposed to be the pinnacle of sportscar racing, have no issue with it on smaller racing series.

15. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

One hughe point in engine efficiency is manufacturing quality. The material roughness factor (rz) was decreased a lot in the last 2 decades. That allows for higher compression through longer strokes that produce higher piston speeds. In the past it was necessary to use short stroke engines for high revolutions to keep piston speed low. Nowadays even long stroke engines can go beyond 7000rpm, resulting in way better torque to revolution ratio and a flatter torque to power curve.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 4
  16. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think this thread went off the rails... I suggest we try to keep it solely focused on actual feedback on the release candidate.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Welcome to every thread, everywhere - all at once.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Cheese anyone?

19. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That has always been a dichotomy with designers swinging back and forward based on trends: shorter strokes cause very high stresses on the mechanical parts but reduce the friction losses, longer strokes are less efficient thermodynamically because the fluid in the combustion chamber exchanges energy with lower temperatures as it has more time to cool down along the expansion stroke.
    Also generally bigger capacity engine with a given power (either limited by fuel or by turbo pressure or other means) have generally higher friction losses. Smaller engines will have higher stresses (think about Acura vs Cadillac in today LMDH) with reduced friction losses.

20. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Didn't the XJR-14 kinda beated it? i know there was those bad regulation changes on 1991 but they kinda did beat the mercs in 91 thought