1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

If you spend lots of hours in it, you get to know what does what.
    I did, but I'm only half way there. I currently don't use AMS2 that much, so my investment should be capped.

A guide from the original creators would be a huge step, but that didn't happen.

That said, if you go to the file, very specific areas are all about defining the constants. Mess around and you'll get very different results.

2. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

For me there are also other good Sims, I'm not the absolute "fanboy" of Ams2 or rf2. I'm just playing GT7 with the controller and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I will also devote myself to other games because I just want to have fun and I have time for other things. Nevertheless, a short feedback from me because of your change:

This change is very bad for my file. Front-end feeling almost gone and very unstable handling, also felt latency. Lateral suspension forces also too weak. Maybe it's better for your base, of course I can't judge that, or you have a better feeling with it, then of course it's okay too. Have a nice time

3. Joaquim Pereira

Very strange indeed... no timmings or forces changes on my side, as suggested by the formulas, "as" is just a multiplier between 0-1.
    My changes anticipate original calculated formula values in function of the steering angle.

Would like to hear from others.
    My values are arbritary, initially 200 was 10 and 0.5 was 0.7 (this makes the logaritmic curve stepper still, 1.0 is a linear response)

Note: my wheel base doesn't have adjustments besides GAIN, so I don't have special/user filters or signal manipulation besides file itself

4. Joaquim Pereira

I leave my current file here. Just find #JP to see where my changes are.

Note:
    Many of these custom files have a variable compression that depends on in-game GAIN setting, meaning that after 40 gain the signal is start to be compressed more and more until 100 gain. So, this means, the same file will not have identical feeling throughout the in-game gain range (80 gain is not just a few percent more than 75 gain, it will also have more compression)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Anyone who invests a good amount of time in developing these custom ffb files is likely to reach the exact same conclusion. No one can possibly satisfy every person's personal preference for AMS2 ffb through a custom version.

At some point, we need to either choose one version and go with it or figure out how to alter the parameters within the files ourselves. Most don't need to know about every single parameter, just a few that may provide slightly better results based on our preferences.

I've been down the FFB rabbit hole several times in multiple titles / using various wheels and I can tell you, FFB only gets so good, and then the chase ends up involving circles and our own tale. Add to that, over time our brains acclimatize to the "best eva" ffb, and then we want the next best version all over again. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Danielkart

That's it Dean! Customs or standards there will always be pros and cons for both versions. I don't understand people who constantly compare to other sims or want it to be exactly the same. This will never happen every sim has its own strengths and weaknesses that makes it unique

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You have contributed more than your fair share to the community developing this great asset for free use by any and all.

Thanks!!!

Although I still prefer Default+ personally, I agree with people who are saying that your latest is the greatest iteration of the custom file!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

One Question to @Danielkart
    I took the middle 5-8 mN for belt drives TM TS-PC wheel so far so good but with the recommended settings gain: 65 LFB:2 FX:25 Damping:2 only the Trucks feel strange to me,like inverted FFB and the weight transfer.Anyone tryed the trucks?
    Many thanks for your fantastic work.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Danielkart

Hello dady Cairo! I have to admit that I didn't test the trucks in the V50 and V60, they weren't that important to me. Maybe the trucks need different in-game and base settings try it. And otherwise you can quickly switch to default for the trucks;)

10. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Yep,its great for carts and fast tin-tops,but not so great for FWD driven cars and Trucks.
    Anyway thanks for your work.

11. Danielkart

Agree with you . Also for me FWD cars are not good to drive. Whether with Customs or Standard, the physics of these cars are not quite right for me. I've mentioned it before in a thread. But not so bad there are not many of them

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dean Ogurek

FWD cars may benefit from additional Damping. I find that to be the case in pretty much every sim that features FWD cars. It's the best way to offset the torque-steer that naturally occurs with those cars, imo. Once that effect is stabilized, the ffb makes much more sense.

If using a DD-wheel, create a FWD profile and add the damping in there or it can be done in AMS2 instead (for any wheel).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Dean Ogurek

The big trucks ffb may actually be clipping (judging by your description). I made a specific controller profile (SC2) for those due to the very strong ffb signal. Even reducing the Per-truck ffb to minimum (50%) may not reduce the strength enough.

14. Danielkart

Yes that's right dean. Damping can help. But I don't like it when it has too much damping. It takes a lot of the ffb's information from me and makes it unnatural. It's a pity that the developers don't program it weaker in physics. With weaker bases it is not a problem but unfortunately with strong ones. But what you say is correct and I'm sure it can be helpful for some people

15. Joaquim Pereira

I'll take that. Because people like this or that in the other sim and AMS2 is the only one capable of changing it's default behavior.
    Is not your job to please them, but it's a legitime desire.
    Just like CrewChief does, it's good to have an uniform interface between sims.

Try putting this settings at zero:

(bump_feel_follow_weight 0.50)
    (brake_feel_follow_weight 2.00)
    (accel_feel_follow_weight 4.40)

In my file I've changed brake_feel_follow_weight because it causes low mass car to have very little to not brake feel.
    With the same wheel base, I have 80 in-game gain but my wheel's driver is at 65 gain. This way you can have all game dynamics. See tyres/suspension HUD, there's a FFB signal, try to reach the red in the last bar, but just barely - that's clipping and can/should occour for a brief moment in high suspension stress situations (like Formula Ultimate at Spa's Raidillon, for instance).

As for different files/custom FFB, yes, stay with one and "learn" what it transmits. It's better than constantly change files. These from Daniel are very good indeed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Dean Ogurek

Fair enough. With the SC2, there is a sweet spot where the Damping stabilizes the steering without removing the FFB details. Some increase in FX can help too. If the steering response becomes to slow, then the Damping level is certainly too high. I'd say that margin is pretty narrow with FWD cars, in any case.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Danielkart

Fanatec also has this point to stabilize it. 18% cushioning and 6% friction are my recommendations for the base. I'm reluctant to use the in-game damping because I'd rather feel a lot of game FFB. And stabilizing the base is not possible with the in-game damping, not even at 50-100%. It also seems to me that Fanatec and Simucube work very differently. We could write books about just these attitudes ;)I advise people to test everything and stay where you feel best

• Like Like x 1
  18. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

Daniel, I am a big fan of your custom ffb file. Can you link me to your latest version please?

19. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For example, for simagic, the base config should be at 100% force. Because is not peak, is the full range, so the only option is adjusting ingame.

20. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Check page 312