Automobilista Time Trial Challenge - Season Completed!

Discussion in 'Automobilista - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Matty28

Matty28 Member

Okay I badly worded the first one, I was just asking him to do something. Second one isn't meant to be condescending but rather emphasising how easy what I was asking is to do so there is no reason to not do it unless there is something to hide. The third one is a joke lol because I didn't really know how to respond to being told I am speaking nothing. So I'll admit the first one, but the second two I think you've misunderstood.

I tried to make my points clear and concise earlier on but when the discussion keeps going on I keep going deeper to try to get the point across.

Nice, I've been playing Half Life 2 every now and then since about 2010 lol. I'm a tiny bit too young to really remember DOS games but I've had a go of DOSBox, it's awesome.

It lets you put 2 wheels over the white lines on nearly every corner of every track. Obviously this is more extreme and silly, but still it's the same for everyone and so I think the word "exploit" isn't a fair description because it's the same for everyone.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. hashegotabeard

hashegotabeard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Exploit is a fair description because that is what this is.

You're aware that you're breaking the rules in your first lap but know you won't get punished for the positive gains it will have in the second lap. You're exploiting a flaw in the way the game deals with track limits.

You're knowingly tricking the system to gain an advantage; you're exploiting it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Rob Nelson

Rob Nelson Member AMS2 Club Member

Exploit is an extremely fair description because someone actively sought out a flaw in the game design to gain an advantage. To say that it is the same for everyone is not true. It's only the same for everyone that knows about the exploit. At this moment, there are 208 recorded lap times. I would wager that the vast majority of these people no nothing about this exploit.

I haven't run a lap yet, but even if I use the exploit I will not be near the top. I know I'm not fast, but I want to get beat fair and square. I don't want to get beat by someone taking a Joker lap. Add me to the list of people that thinks that this week's competition should be voided.

This is my point of view. It is not meant to be an argument with anyone. Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Matty28

Matty28 Member

For me, as Renato said, the game is king and if the game lets you do it then you can do it. But I agree that you're breaking the rules on the previous lap and as someone said earlier it's not within the spirit of the rules. It should of course not be allowed to affect the next lap, but since it is then there's no choice but to do it or deliberately lose. And I am not going to call people cheaters for doing what they are allowed to and have to do.

Some people not thinking of it does not make something an unfair advantage. If it is then we could call lots of things an unfair advantage, e.g. the correct line through a corner, setups of course or in real life car development.

In Le Mans, the late 90s GT1 cars were an exploit of the rules at that time, do you consider the manufacturers to be cheaters or clever? The ability to use the rules in that way (if you thought of it) was there for everyone just like it is here. It's different to running with a lower weight than permitted which would be comparable to using a glitch (e.g. let's say you disconnect the internet, drive to the end of the lap, reconnect and it only counts a few seconds). The GT1 prototype cars used poorly made guidelines to their advantage, and so are people using this method, neither of them broke any rules.

Plz Reiza so we can put this to bed lol

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  5. SkyE

SkyE New Member

So why where you one of the first to do that I thought you were proud of you...

6. Matty28

Matty28 Member

I'm confident that more people knew about my method or Schlitty's method but were deliberately waiting until the last few hours to use it in an effort to keep that advantage to themselves. Even if I was the first to think/do it, I can only say I'm always looking for ways to be the best. Mine wasn't so elaborate as Schlitty's either, I just saw that opening behind the s/f and thought it would give a better exit, so it's not like I go to great lengths to find obscure methods to gain an advantage. I assumed everyone else was/will be doing the same thing and was confident it was technically legal. I said I am proud to not be deliberately losing, I am neither proud nor not proud to be using this method.

None of that means I want to be able to or have to do this. The idea of driving to the other side of the track to then cut across to get a better exit is stupid and shouldn't be allowed. Not to mention it's a lot of hassle before every lap. But if it is allowed I have to do it if I want to have a hope in hell of competing. I think that was what you decided in the end no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rob Nelson

Your reasoning would hold up better if the cars were bypassing the chicanes along the Mulsanne Straight while everyone else was using them. There is a difference between interpretation of technical regulations, and skipping half a race track to have a faster entry speed onto a straight. The thing that is sad is that now the legitimately fast guys are going to be accused of cheating.

The only reason people are getting over with this is that there are no track marshals or race stewards to invalidate the laps like there would be on a TT at a real race track.

8. Matty28

Matty28 Member

The game's invalidation thing takes place of the marshals and stewards, so essentially we have marshals and stewards saying "don't do that" when you cut the track but then not saying anything when you cross the line. Yeah in real life or other games that would never happen, but this isn't real life and it isn't other games. Why this any different to cutting chicanes? Anyway, you have a point and I kiiiiiind of agree but at the end of the day, needs must.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rob Nelson

Fair enough. I appreciate that we have had a civil discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. taris

taris Member

I think the Reiza must be change this TT Challenge Prizes for 2 Cockpits Stock Car Racing Seat awarded by drawing amongst all participants and nothing to the Points Winner. This TT Points Challenge was made fool by cheaters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. macmaniacoes

macmaniacoes Member AMS2 Club Member

Same for me Alex, three challenges inside 107%, but only shows 2. Need screenshots, replays, anything?

12. EnibasFlow

EnibasFlow New Member AMS2 Club Member

I drive clean and fair, without any glitches, tricks, etc.. That is my personal gentlemen agreement and I'm proud of it, even if I do not achieve the 107%

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Husa

Husa New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have to say that whoever it was who willingly posted the cheat should be praised. It's an annoying glitch, but atleast everyone has the chance to even out a little bit and Reiza can figure out something to do about it. IMO the TT times should only count if the previous lap was clean and the car should start a few corners further away. Now the first lap is usually wothless anyway.

That would mean that only way to gain extra speed would mean a different entry/exit on the last corner which is totally ok if you don't go over the track limits.

Another thing that should be observed closely is where the track limits are. I bet some people search for the limits on every corner for maximum cutting and it would be clear if the limit was on the outside of the curbs. When I judge our races we usually settle for the fact that either the centerline of the car has to be on track or there are predefined limits where you can't go.

The most unfair thing in this is that when you gain 0.5+s on the first sector it raises the 107% limit with quite a large margin. We all drive the same cars so it should be relatively easy to get to that 107% every time, atleast on the slower cars. But! when you hit your limits you usually are stuck there, if that leaves people out from the draw it's bad.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Leynad

Leynad Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That´s the only way to prevent track-exploits like that and they are heavily used in the Raceroom-Price-Challenges like the DTM atm. I doubt that any Top 20 times are made without this last-corner trick if the layout is asking for it. At Lausitzring i was immediately 1 sec. faster by going off track before the straight and gaining more speed for start/finish.

15. Antonio Castagna

Antonio Castagna Active Member

The same thing is in Gran Turismo series for PS.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Antonio Castagna

Something goes on not going. Until recently in the standings I was 43nd and now I'm 42th without doing anything, it's been a lot of hours that I don't even turn a round (and i don't want do anymore for this TT). Anyway, tomorrow will be another of my videos on YouTube of my best lap, proving that (at least I) run clean and without any tricks. However, I also have the telemetry in case I need it in the future. I also have all the previous hotlaps of the other weeks. So do all of them, at least we see who runs seriously and without cheating, who instead runs using untrustworthy stratagems. If you hurry in the right, show it. ;)

17. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

We are developing a fix that invalidates the next lap if you run off track for future rounds. Obviously this is only an issue at certain tracks.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  18. Antonio Castagna

Very well, thanks for all.

19. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Couple of notes:

1- The issue with missing results in VX is just a bug with how they´re being compiled, should be rectified soon - the results are all in the database so don´t be concerned about losing anything.

2- Unfortunately we had this issue in last week´s round with the track allowing some exploits to start the lap at a faster speed. As Alex mentioned we have added some checks to prevent a similar issue from occurring again, this will be included in our next game update. It should not be a problem in this week´s round at Ascurra.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Round 4 of the Time Trial Challenge finished last night - once again the winner was Turks, collecting his 3rd victory and consolidating his lead in the points standing!

It´s still all to play for as we enter the 5th round - time to get dirty with the Lancer Evo X around Ascurra!
    AMS 2017-05-12 18-14-38.jpg
    To participate, launch Automobilista, select the Dirt series in Time Trial Mode and pick any of the Lancer Evo X cars at Ascurra to set your time - you may then attempt to improve it over the course of the week, and it will be automatically exported to both regular leaderboard and the TT Challenge board.

Only laps scored from May 15th 0:00 GMT to May 21th 23:59 GMT will count for this 5th round of the Time Trial Challenge. Make sure to get your time in to secure those participation points - if the time is within 107% of the best you´ll already be in with a chance to win a Stock Car Seat by Cockpit-Extreme Racing!

Last edited: May 16, 2017