1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Who owns the rights for the cars?

2. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I know this is not exactly the place for this but with so many car enthusiasts here, seems silly not to.

If anyone is interested in buying this, send me a PM.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Kartódromo dos Ingleses, please...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Apex

Apex Active Member

I would absolutely buy a title like that. There's just something about that pioneer spirit of the dare devils driving these bangers of yore where driver inputs were mere suggestions and safety an afterthought, if a thought at all.

The kind of leisure activity a chap would indulge in out of sheer disappointment that barnstorming and safaris had become too safe, and there was no more death and glory to be found in a great war.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Bizarre Formula

Yeah, amazing era.

I remember reading an interview with exactly that sentiment after they asked if they thought it was dangerous, paraphrasing, he basically said not compared to the bullets that had been flying toward them a couple of years earlier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think pre-war cars while cool, are too much of a niche to make sense in a commercial way, most people will try them, feel that they are horrible to drive and just give up. I think the mid 50's is as old as you can go before it becomes a niche within a niche.

I am just hoping for some 60's or 70's, prototypes. Someone found a McLaren CanAm folder in the game, fingers crossed it actually means something.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Bizarre Formula

Yeah, you're probably right, they certainly wouldn't handle well by modern standards.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Ha, I just knew someone was going to mention the Brutus! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Delta Wing its complicated due the lawsuit so it's either Nissan or Panoz

The chaparral i think you just need to hit GM up

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. XTRMNTR2K

Nissan_Motorsports_-_Nissan_GT-R_LM_Nismo_-23_(18860958202).jpg

While we're on the topic of strange and/or obscure cars, I would *love* to see the Nissan GT-R LM Nismo in AMS2 one day. I know a lot of people still laugh at the idea of a front-engined (and mostly front-wheel drive) race car, but the flywheel-based KERS was nothing short of a small revolution by itself for the LMP1 category back in the day. This is a car that I really think deserves more respect.

It also helps that it looks quite cool, IMHO. Sort of like a batmobile, even if it's red!

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Only thing I want is more Brazil/SA content, and UK, for AMS 2. Maybe even Australia/New-Zealand to complete the calendar. Maybe even more USA, like Sebring. So many options. But I first believe Reiza should complete Australia or UK.

12. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I LOVE FRONT ENGINED CARS

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Apex

Apex Active Member

It's rather interesting, isn't it? Our ideas of early motor racing have so much in common with the popular narratives of dogfighting over no man's land or the British Channel: The hero in a shiny machine that could go up in flames at any moment, the hard-earned victory, the camaraderie, and people traveling abroad, not to kill each other on purpose in France, Belgium and Germany but to go there and compete hard and maybe pay the ultimate price.

Anyway, and back on topic, if anyone, I think Reiza could pull stuff like that off. The F-Vintage cars are a scream, if one is into that sort of driving, and I'm looking very much forward to sliding around in the up-coming Formula Junior.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Oh man - thats some of the nicest that have been said to me in this sim racing context.
    Thank you :)
    And be aware that this time I have absolutely no urge to contradict you :D

ByTheWay: Conserning the DeltaWing physics then I have been reading some of the constructor Ben Bowlbys theories about how a 3-wheeled car as example is able to brake much later into a corner (than 4-wheelers) because the behaviour didnt change much.
    I couldnt understand this in the beginning but the idea is that if you dont have an outher and inner front wheel where under braking the outher takes control - then the car can be set up to behave very neutral far longer into the corner than a normal 4-wheeled racing car.
    Did you hear me Reiza?:D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

It is not complicated at all really, the Delta Wing belongs 100% to Panoz.
    Nissan just provided the engine and sponsored it and afterwards poached the lead designer to continue building on the project without actually owning it.

The reason it doesn't get more respect is simply because its performance was absolutely abysmal and it was riddled with technical issues. Sure it looked different and (to some) cool, but it was simply so far away from being competitive, 20 seconds slower than pole position and about as slow as some LMP2 entries. It was an embarrassment and a huge money sink for Nissan, which is why they cancelled the project at the end of that year after 1 race only.

So it get's the respect it earned in my opinion, a cool and different car to have in AMS2 for sure but only after we have the LMP1s of Toyota, Porsche or Audi in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Apologies, I meant to reply to the same post you replied to.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hehe I didnt dare to say it so harsh.
    But agree fully with you.
    The car was a catastrophe.
    And if Reiza created it it should have a class completely by itself to not get embarrassed.:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's an interesting engineering experiment, but was a horrendous car. Maybe if Nissan actually ran the thing before LeMans instead of just testing at NCM it would've been more successful. Maybe I just don't like FWD cars, but I just don't think it would be enjoyable to drive.

Edit: yes, I know the KERS system supposedly sent OBSCENE power to the rear, but it never worked in real racing conditions. Personally I find the Deltawing more interesting, especially given there were talks of making an "IndyCar spec."

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. XTRMNTR2K

And it also mostly had front-wheel drive, if I remember correctly. From what I remember, some of the torque generated by the flywheels could be sent to the rear, though.

Just to be clear: I'm certainly not arguing about the importance of having the big three LMP1 competitors in the sim! These are of great importance, no doubt, and I would prefer these to the Nismo if I had to choose. Heck, I would even be cool with some of the privateer LMP teams, or even Reiza-made generic entries, which after all works just fine for the Formula classes.

With that being said, I think it is kind of disappointing that many people are crying for more courage and experimentation from the manufacturers for the sake of innovation; yet, when said innovation does not work out well at first, it is shunned and declared inferior by design. Even with all the faults the car had - some by design, sure - I wonder what would have become of it if Nissan hadn't abandoned ship so quickly and managed to fix the issues that could have been fixed.

Either way, I do applaud their courage for trying something so different and out of the box, even if it didn't pan out in the end.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Audis were running Williams produced flywheel KERS long before the Nissan.

• Informative Informative x 3