1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 April 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Iracing is what happens when one of the largest demographics to motorsports really only have one sim that represents the type of racing they like in a accurate-enough way. Lots of people like oval racing, especially dirt and short-ovals. And what gets lost in the "Iracing is too expensive" discourse is the fact that Iracing's content is almost consistently good. It is expensive, more expensive than it should be, but you're not paying $10 for asset rips (so better than many AC mods).

I feel like all the bad talk about Iracing is just gonna lead us into being a super elitist community. Iracing has its problems but so does AMS 2. When Austin or G.M constantly rail on AMS 2's faults they're ***holes yet when we do it to Iracing its okay? Nah just sounds like the same rubbish behavior to me

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Chillblast

Chillblast Member AMS2 Club Member

spot on and well said.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Apologies but I don't agree.

COD4 had one of the first dlc drops I remember: 4 maps for free. I remember BF2142 bringing out Northern Strike which you had to join EADM to buy (Origin and now the new client's predecessor), it was paid. People said we should boycott, no one did. Now we live in a time with battlepasses, pay to win, 'free to play', time locks, 5 different paid currencies in games set to amounts that mean you have to buy two sets of currency to buy the item you want. Some games you could spend £10,000 on and still not own all of the assetts that you have to pay for an ever increasing amount of hard disk space to store, like GTA V that is well over 100gb now for all of their online paid dlc.

I could go on for days but I will simply make the point with a Manics quote: "If you tolerate this, then your children will be next".

My issue has nothing to do with the game design and if AMS2 were doing the same thing, what is included would be irrelevant; I fundamentally disagree with the business tactic and nothing is going to change that.

It is a matter of principle for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

so don't race for ferrari?

5. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

AMS 2 is my favourite, but honestly the handling/physics of all the modern sims are good imo, just with differences. All believable enough that I don't worry about it too much :D

Anyway countdown to new build :p

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Still time left

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

With the centenary of the Le Mans 24h being around the corner I'm sure that Renato and the team are just making sure Le Mans is going to be released in perfect state as part of the next update ^^
    One can dream.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Each sim has it's own strengths and weaknesses. For just running the free content, iRacing isn't that bad as a subscription service. It's still the only place to go for proper competitive NASCAR and dirt oval content, something that no other sim seems to even come close.

While I don't like *iRacing's tire model, AMS2 has equally bad problems, just in different areas. There is no "definitive best sim." With a better tire model, FFB, and pricing model, iRacing would be the closest to that idealized sim. AC simply became the standard because it's simplified engine and community tools made it easy to tune into something believable.

While I enjoy driving in AMS2 much more, the community tools and MP infrastructure are massively lacking in comparison. There's plenty of fun to be had in AMS2 MP with the right group of people, but realistically it will only have a small percentage of iRacing's player base. It doesn't mean that AMS2 is worth any less, just that Reiza's goals for development will be very different to fit the state of the game.

I do understand your point, but there's not much we can do except "vote with our wallets." If you don't enjoy a sim, don't buy the DLC, service, or content.

I don't like how Apple and other brands gouge SSD prices and solder components to laptops. I can't stop my "brand conscious" niece from buying a MacBook, but I personally can support companies like Framework who focus on "right to repair." One person's choice isn't going to shift the whole industry, but all you can do is hope similarly minded individuals make the same decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Getting a bit late for an update now isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

We've had updates come out 1 hours from current time. They are in Brazil after all.

However, all you guys expecting an update right now, please remember, the team has missed self communicated release times before. It is absolutely possible that the release will take another few more days. Don't rile yourselves up.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cassini

Cassini 3D Artist and Video Editor AMS2 Club Member

I'm not that worried about it too.
    I'm more into the new content and features.

• Like Like x 1
  12. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ah well fingers crossed then

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Bizarre Formula

Absolutely bud, I am fully aware how futile it can be having watched it progress and I'm not going to pretend that I've never bought DLC or used products that have gone in a direction I disagreed with (seriously, don't start me on Apple).

I was more making the point that the quality of the game is not something which is often drawn into question, iRacing is known to be one of the best for competitive race and rightly so, it's almost invariably the pricing part which people bring up.

We're all the proverbial frogs in the pot of boiling water, but I'd like to think that all of us have a point where we'll say NO, if we don't, just imagine where we'll end up. £60 for Diablo 4 basic edition for example? Jog on, will wait a year and buy the deluxe version for £20-30.

The lifespan and costs of games have changed, so I have no issue with picking the modern options that help pay for updates and server costs. Subscription, fine (though I don't like it). Paid DLC, fine. Both? Nope. No access to what I paid for offline if my subscription runs out? Nope.

Not telling anyone they shouldn't enjoy a game they do or feel like it is worth it for them, but I do think we need to be careful with what we ratify/condone when it comes to some of the most heinous examples.

Star Citizen anyone?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Renato did say "hopefully" tomorrow. Not "definately" tomorrow

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Just moments before launching the update we just found some severe problems we had to solve.
    Sorry but we have to be absolutely sure about this before we dare to launch it.
    So dont hold your breath guys :p

ByTheWay: Ahh I cant remember where this quotation is from. :whistle:

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

rest in pasta update?

17. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly, please dont enforce a crunch upon reiza staff by nagging in the forums

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

It's not like we think of the dates by ourselves - Renato does that for us.

Admittedly he threw in a "hopefully" this time.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

Hopefully this will hit the right string in Renato's heart :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 26
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Bizarre Formula

Afterthought:

You only have to look at the used wheel market within the sim community to see that it isn't just game devlopers and publishers who can play the whatever-people-will-pay-is-a-fair-price game.

I'm still running on an old G27 that is over a decade old, I saw someone sold one on ebay for £8 more than I paid for mine new.

Well, obviously I should sell mine for that then and buy a CSL DD! :D

• Agree Agree x 1