1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS 2 damage model

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Pandytim99, May 17, 2023.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Maybe they’ve tried to fix the bug you’re having, but they can’t currently

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well SMS created the code and had more time with it than Reiza and they could not fix their own code so I think Reiza has done an admirable job so far

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

mate sorry to be that guy but this thread was made to discuss the damage model not non related bugs or TT

If you can to move that conversation to a new thread or complain about the bug in the bug report thread i would appreciate, it's a valid complaint after all

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Ahh I see. So this picture and discussion about it is not about the damage model?
    Hehe such a comment is mandatory when a person dont have any useable arguments about a subject eventhough the subject is relevant. :whistle:

1.jpg

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BrunoB

Honestly I think the problem is the sloppy coding in the Madness engine.
    Some people with inside knowledge in this subject have several times commented that the result of this sloppy coding means that one input often have different outputs/results dependent of which part of the code is active at the moment.:whistle:
    Integrated randomness generator :D

6. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I think they’ve probably acknowledged your problem, but not commented on it since they can’t fix it. Is it only you who has this issue or have others reported it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

This was reported since back in PC2 development. AT some point the SMS dev negaleted that the issue was reproducable for them. We have all seen the issue in different kinds since then for years. It was peported by several users several times since 2020 in the bug report section. It will also happen in Quali or Traning sessions. It is linked to the bug that let's you see your own car in good condition after a repair, while any other client sees a wreck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pandytim99

Never said the subject it’s irrelevant, quite the contrary I do agree it’s an issue and should be fixed, hence why I suggested you either make a thread for it or report the bug in the report thread

however it’s important to point out that this pic is not necessarily related to the topic as it’s more a visual bug than the direct consequence of damage on the car.

The topic in regards to damage model in this thread is a discussion over what happens to the car model on collision, what parts can be damaged and fall off under collisions and or progressive damage from the advanced damage model like the suspension or wing collapsing after you keep pushing a car with damaged wing/suspension

and the main point I made this thread was to describe the damage model from each car in the came because of variations between several cars, such as the Mercedes gt3, sauber c9 and LDF Porsche 962 not losing any part, have you even read the posts I made here?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. BrunoB

Yeah I had a suspicion about practice and quali too.
    But because I and others have mostly reported and discussed it connected to TT mode I didnt want to sound too stubborn.
    The reason I have personally ended up with the sloppy code conclusion is because the BUG have disappeared a few times. But then after next update returned.
    But after such a revisit of the BUG I have asked myself if the BUG actually had disappered or was it only because some of my crashes wasnt "correct" according to the sloppiness in the code.
    Hehe maybe I hadnt initiated the randomness generator correctly :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pandytim99

I’ll try to continue the thread today or tomorrow testing the opalas, omegas and hopefully the new f-usa if the update drop

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Pandytim99

I'm back and as promised i did test the damage on the older stock cars and the new f-USA 2023

Lets start with the omega, it quite surprised me

it can crack the taillights partially or totally lose both front and rear bumpers, the hood, rear wing, rear diffuser and the trunk. fantastic damage model definably one of the best the body deformation is light though
    upload_2023-6-3_12-31-16.png

12. Pandytim99

now for the Opalas

both the 1979 and old stock share the same damage model with great body deformation, detachable trunk and hood, and the taillights can crack, i think its great considering the car dont have much other parts to lose anyways

the 1986 opala have a very similar model, but also cracking the headlights, i do think it shoulda lose the front bumper too, but still a good believable damage model
    upload_2023-6-3_12-35-26.png

13. Pandytim99

Now last but not least the brand new F-USA 2023

The car feels amazing to drive thank to the new 1.5 physics, the damage model however, its just okay, the car can lose wheels (like most cars), front and rear wing and that's it, there's slight body deformation, more noticeable on the nose, but I was hoping for the nose also being a detachable part as well as the engine cover, but it doesn't look to be the case
    upload_2023-6-3_12-43-34.png

14. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

One thing I hope you'll find out in your travels...

Which Prototype has a damage model where the rear wing comes off separately to the wheel covers and diffuser...

There's a certain French car that could do without a wing... ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Pandytim99

haven't been able to play as much as I wanted due to a small surgery i made, but I guess after i'm done with the stock car feeder series (sprint race and copa montana) I could do prototype next

But i believe the caddy dpi does have what you asked all though thats more for what I consider a unfinished damage model with no dangling parts compared to the caddy on iRacing

16. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Firstly hope the recovery is going to plan!

But I was wanting something with a bit more of a finished damage model where the wheel covers and diffuser dangle/detach and the wing is a separate piece... So I can just remove the codes for the rear wing and still get damage on the car...

Also I'd like something different to the very obvious Caddy LMPdh clone...

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Don't think it's bad, just it's not BeamNG. But I wish that Reiza implement suspension, chassis and wheels damage over kerbs. Even Raceroom has it and it's one of the most important types of damage to simulate because AMS2 is too permissive with some movements.

I don't care too much about collision damage because not even BeamNG is spot on and some of AMS2's collisions are exaggeratedly disproportional for more or less (not only with AMS2, but basically with any other race sim) them would be better to not bother with it until a really good engine (as on pair with BeamNG's) is available... but damages due to bad driving (and eventual wearing) on the engine, gearbox, radiator, suspensions and wheels, even if not very well done, would be amazing... and I like how AMS2 is dealing with that stuff, at least with the player car. Would be nice if IA cars also suffer from damage, that not seems to be the case.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Pandytim99

i believe the AJR have even separate damage for each wheel cover, can also lose the rear engine cover but i don't remember tf the wing and rear diffuser could detach separately

All metalmoros have a fantastic damage model, I do recall a certain metalmoro from AMS 1 that sadly didn't came to AMS 2 that looked a bit like a peugeot 908

19. Pandytim99

I've seen some ai blowing engines a couple of times, the last time I tried the F-Inters one of the AI retirements was due to a engine failure and if my memory aint fooling me I believe suspension failure can also happen to AI, but I believe it works like a RNG scripted event instead of dinamically like with the player car

And yeah visual suspension damage woulda been great specially for open wheelers since they have the suspension arms exposed, something like what we have in the F1 games or iRacing or even something more simpler like what we had on rF1 woulda been great

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

But you can pass over a sausage kerb redlining the sixty gear and no damage will be taken to wheels and suspension. Just try to do something similar with Raceroom and see what happens.