Poor Performance on 4 cores

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by SMauler9, Mar 12, 2016.

1. SMauler9

SMauler9 New Member

Strange. I get around 20-25fps on max detail, on a system that really should be doing better. However, if I set the games' affinity and make it run on 1 core, it performs around 60-70. Even weirder, I get glimpses of 120+fps on 4 cores, but only for about 20 seconds.

Specs:
    Intel Core i5 6600K
    Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    Game installed on 1TB HDD

2. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Can you please give some more details, what windows version, any vga card specific tools that run in background, was this in test day with only you on track, or other AI cars, online session, how many other drivers there was, was this with default content or maybe some mods...

3. SMauler9

SMauler9 New Member

This was on Windows 10. Only GeForce Experience, Razer Synapse and Logitech Gaming Software are running in the background. This would happen on any car/track combo, any amount of AI drivers and any session. I have no mods installed, so all default content.

4. SMauler9

SMauler9 New Member

I must also add that some other games run poorly on 4 cores that really shouldn't, like Unreal Tournament 2004, so it's likely something with my system.

5. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The game only runs on one core. Not sure what's going on. Do you have power saving mode enabled or something similar?

6. SMauler9

SMauler9 New Member

Power saving mode was precisely the issue. Switched to performance, and framerates are now what I expect.

PC is quite new, so it must've just been something I forgot to do.

7. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Good to hear it's fixed, especially when it's something so simple, that's a nice win :D

Hope you can concentrate on enjoying the game now :)

8. Ray Huang

Ray Huang New Member AMS2 Club Member

I am having screen freezing on Formula Ultimate on many tracks after v1.4 update. Just me hotlapping. I have not tried any other cars, but will tonight. I was fine before (a few days ago). My system is overkill too. PC is running great on all other racing SIMS.

i5 7600 OC to 4.3Ghz, 16GB 2100 RAM, ASUS GTX1070. No nVidia Experience, but surround mode on three 24" ASUS 60hz monitors.

Tonight I will try un parking cores, checking power settings and may even try the ffb refresh rates. But is there something else related to V1.4 I need to know to make changes? I even deleted AMS and re downloaded through Steam.

9. Domagoj Lovric

For testing, in Audio Menu try setting Audio PostFX to Mid and then Low. See if that makes any difference.

10. Ray Huang

I should have mentioned when I got spotter sounds is when it seemed to freeze, but wasnt 100% sure.

11. Domagoj Lovric

Well, audio PostFX won't help there, spotter isn't influenced by it. But spotter is read from disk when it's played. I can't reproduce "stutter on spotter" issue here, but have my suspicions. Could you check Power options what setting you have?

12. Ray Huang

I turned postfx to low, didn't help. Had to turn off radio and spotter completely to stop sound problems and stutter/ freeze.

Things that helped, going into audio settings and changing all back to 44.1 from 48khz. After that change I could turn back on radio, but not spotter.

Computer was on balanced power. I have windows 10 btw. I have automobilista on an external drive, not on the ssd in my machine I believe.

13. Ray Huang

I'll shoot a video tonight. Should clear things up.

14. Domagoj Lovric

Try setting power options to performance. Since it's on external drive, it is worth looking at disk properties, and try to find "Volume Policies", see if it is set for "quick removal" or "better performance".

15. Ray Huang

Power on performance, turned back on spotter and post fx on low. Game crashes today (06/01/17) Will try and turn off spotter and see if I can get in car and drive.

After this video I went back into AMS and turned off spotter and turned off radio and kept post fx on low and it crashed again. I wont upload next video, but I'll see if I saved any from last night with the stutters and freezing, but I think I deleted them all.

16. Ray Huang

@Domagoj I got the game to load by luck and was able to shoot this video. Notes in caption. Game is ok with AI, but not AI and spotter. Dont know if AI has anything to do with it. The video doesnt seem to capture all of the stutters I experienced. Also, is that high pitched whistle that flows up and down normal too? Can really hear it in the pit lane.

17. Domagoj Lovric

@Ray Huang - you can definately revert Audio PostFX to maximum if it doesn't make a difference. It mainly affects external view cameras, so in case of watching a replay, you're missing enhanced sound experience.

When mentioning options for external drives, check this what i meant specifically.

Enable or Disable Disk Write Caching in Windows 10

18. Ray Huang

@Domagoj Lovric I was on quick removal. I changed to better performance. I hope it doesnt crash as it was crashing most of the night last night. :(

19. Ray Huang

After update (06/04/17) all of my sound problems have been resolved. Thank you. I have radio/spotter back on with no problems.

edit: still there. At least i had one solo practice with the sound not causing stuttering. Now an intermittent problem for me.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  20. Ray Huang

by recommendation of Dann at Online Sim Racing I moved AMS from my external HD to the internal SSD drive and it runs very smooth again.

I guess since I am running low on memory on my main SSD I may need to buy another SSD and mount internally.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017