getting dedicated server working

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Brent Mills, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Brent Mills

Brent Mills Member

Hi guys, I've been tearing my hair out, trying to get the dedicated server working. I've opened all the ports, but the server never shows up in the server list. Here is what I've done, opened the following ports to my IP which I found using ipconfig

[​IMG]

Problem is when I go to sites like http://ping.eu/port-chk/ to check if the port can be seen, it says port is not open. Then in currport, I see this:

[​IMG]

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

2. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not sure how your router works, but since it's not even showing in the steam server list, I would suggest first to change the protocol to UDP only for the 8766 and 27016 ports, which are mainly responsible for communicating with steam service and try again.

Also, make sure you have fixed your local ip (on your pc) to 192.16.0.11, or you can end with another ip all of sudden (usually routers change the devices Ips weekly) and your port rules won't work anymore.

3. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The Virgin Media hubs rarely change IPs of locally connected devices in my experience but Erick's advice is good to follow regarding having a static local IP to avoid future issues.

When your server is running, check in the steam server list on the LAN tab. Local servers must be joined via that. I haven't tested this directly myself though so I'm unsure if the server will appear in the main list for you or not but if you have a friend who can check that or post back here we can too.

Another quick point to note is if you have modified the Multiplayer.ini be weary of the setting
    Code:
    [ Multiplayer Server Options ]
    Pause While Zero Players="1" // Whether to pause a dedicated server (and stay in practice session) if no human players are present

This defaults to 1, and means the first session begins immediately after launching the server. If you set this to 0 the session does not begin automatically and you must join the server before it will show in the Steam server browser.

If you set this to 0 it's worth setting it back to 1 while you are figuring this out.

4. Brent Mills

Brent Mills Member

ah you nailed it! I had changed 'Pause while zero players' from 0 to 1. When I changed it back to 0, I can see the server. Only problem now is that people won't be able to join half the time because it will be in race session. Oh well, hope Reiza sorts out the ingame browser soon.
    Now I do have 1 more question and that is regarding security, is there a hacking risk on my pc now that I have enabled all these ports?

5. GrimDad

GrimDad Member AMS2 Club Member

If no one joins the server it skips the race and goes back to practice.

6. Brent Mills

Brent Mills Member

yeh but problem is I've added a couple AI, so it seems that it counts those as people and runs the actual race.

7. SHOTIME

SHOTIME Member AMS2 Club Member

Figured I'd toss in my $.02, as no one else had confirmed. I just set up a server late last week and was unable to see it via the default Steam Server list, but could see it in LAN as Dave stated. My friend I was playing with had no issue seeing or connecting to it, so that is correct, it will not show among the other servers from the host's perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

thanks for the clarification @SHOTIME :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brent Mills

Brent Mills Member

well rather confusing, because as a host, I can now see the server, when I changed
    Pause While Zero Players="1" to '0'.

10. SHOTIME

SHOTIME Member AMS2 Club Member

Sure thing, @Dave Stephenson!

@Brent Mills ... That option could have something to do with it, then.. Dave said it defaults to 1, and I didn't edit the ini, so that all lines up; you edited the ini, and could see your server, and I ran defaults and couldn't see mine. Interesting given the nature of the option, though. :rolleyes:

11. Brent Mills

Brent Mills Member

Seems like another option, 'Spectators When Closed' doesn't work. When I set it to 1, I still can't join race sessions. Frustrating I can't do the ideal settings I want which are:

Best option:
    - a few AI
    - paused in qualifying until a human joins

2nd best:
    - a few AI
    - humans able to join a race session and then able to vote to restart or whatever

So I must choose between:
    - no AI
    or
    - a few AI, but humans can't join when in race session.