1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rev Matching with clutch - how much do I blip?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mmaruda, Jul 3, 2017.

1. mmaruda

mmaruda Member AMS2 Club Member

So I got myself a T300RS with T3PA pedals and after some initial difficulties, I am able to run laps again without greeting walls. Getting the whole sequence down took some practice, but it feels totally awesome to heal and toe and I have been murdering the tires on the Formula Vintage for the past couple of days.

The thing is, I am not sure I am really down-shifting in optimal manner. I notices that I need to plan my shifts more carefully now with the clutch before each corner, so I am basically re-learning the tracks and braking points. I did notice I am faster, but I would like to know how much really do I need to blip the throttle. Do you guys watch the rev counter and clutch at the optimal revs or something, do you watch how hight the revs go? I also noticed that when blipping I tend to push the brake pedal more and sometimes less (my foot kind of wobbles) - is that something I can work on also?

Any tips on technique would be welcome.

Also, I noticed that AMS models clutch crawl properly! How awesome is that? :D

2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Both the throttle-blip and heel-toe braking are learned and refined through repetition and practice until they become second-nature. Throttle-blipping can also be affected by the engine characteristics / acceleration so the duration of the application of throttle may vary by car.

3. Nick

Nick New Member AMS2 Club Member

My short answer would be that it is really mostly feel, which comes about - as Dean suggests - via lots of practice with that particular car.

The main thing I've found that I have to watch out for is blipping too hard and inadvertently creating acceleration. In a real car, you'll feel the "surge" if you over-blip...but in a sim, a subtle surge of acceleration could easily go unnoticed as you are at max-focus on the turn in point and may not notice the subtle surge.

Something else that has helped me (though I think you wouldn't have any trouble finding others that say this makes things worse, so "your mileage may vary") - in long/heavy braking zones, I'll often do an intermediate downshift. For example, in the F-Vintage, when you come roaring down the hill towards T1 @ Johannesburg, that (for me) is a situation where you are going from bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th gear all the way down to 2nd gear. I'll often times go 5th -> 3rd -> 2nd rather than just 5th -> 2nd in one big downshift. Obviously, this in theory doubles your chance of blowing a shift (since you are downshifting twice instead of just once), but I find the intermediate shift makes me feel more confident and keeps me in a good shifting rhythm...as opposed to one big shift where my brain tends to start spinning "am I slow enough for 2nd yet? How bout now? Ok, gonna try it..." If nothing else, it gives you another "rep" in terms of keeping your technique sharp.

The other advice I would throw out is to maybe refine your technique in an easier car. I love the F-Vintage and have been lapping the crap out of it lately, but it is definitely *not* the car I would choose if I wanted to work on dialing in my heel toe technique. I would pick a tamer car, get the technique really down, and then loop back around to the F-Vintage once I felt like I had the rhythm down.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mmaruda

Tanks for the help guys, I'm doing pretty good I guess, I'll have it down in a few weeks I think. I listened to Nick's advice and switched to the 911 RSR and so far it's a little more forgiving then the Vintage, if I screw up, though the road cars in Assetto Corsa are probably even better, but I don't think the gearbox is properly simulated there (gears always go in).

One more question, I understand that all the sequential shifters in the game also require clutching and blipping and the semi-automatic is the clutch-less thing? Or are there variations to the sequentials as well?

5. Takfar

Takfar Member AMS2 Club Member

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if it says "sequential with powershift" in the car description, you shouldn't need to mess with either clutch nor gas (blip nor lift) when shifting.

6. mmaruda

That is why I am asking, the Formula Novice has powershift, but with autoblip enabled, the computer blips, and without it, if I don't blip the gear change sound is kind of weird. Or is it that you don't need to use the clutch but need to blip? It's kind of confusing.

7. Matías Corvino

Matías Corvino New Member

In most of the cars, a little blipping when you are downshifting always helps to balance the car, even if it has a powershift gearbox or not.