FFB - What's supposed to happen !?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by MysticReverie, Jul 10, 2017.

1. MysticReverie

MysticReverie Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi
    I have just got my hands on a Thrustmaster T150

I've tried it in a few games, but don't really know What I am supposed top be looking for in regard to all the FFB settings.

For example, Project cars with this wheel is really hard to even steer, Assetto Corsa doesn't seem to have much FFB, and Automobilista Has some when driving fast, but very little when going slower.
    Automobilista has options like 360hz, 180 hz ,or effects +1, etc? I have NO idea what I am 'supposed' to chose.

It also maybe a stupid question, but I've no idea what's 'supposed to happen' When you drive over curbs, or just drive on a straight road, etc.

I guess people may say just use the settings I like, but I don't even know what feels natural, and what is just not supposed to be there.
    So I'm pretty clueless.

Any universal settings would be ok for a clueless fool like me.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Ps, I like to have the wheel at only about 360 rotation, if that makes any difference.

2. MysticReverie

It seems better if I set the FFB to - instead of plus.

It was like everything was reversed before, I was having to fight the steering.

Update

when I turn the wheel just a little when on the starting grid, the wheel takes over and makes a full revolution all the way to the lock
    This only happens if I am on - 75.
    But if I use +75, the wheel fights me all over the track.
    I don't know which one to tweak because I don't know which one is the correct choice.
    FFB sucks, I never knew it was this hard to configure..
    Or is my wheel just a dud ?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  3. MysticReverie

Scrap this thread
    I'm sending this hunk of junk back to Amazon and will go back to my smooth non FFB T80 wheel

4. Auduns75

Auduns75 RWB Audi AMS2 Club Member

This is how it should be, according to your results you should use positive ffb. Try that and effects + 1

5. MysticReverie

But the positive FFB makes the wheel wrestle everything I tell it to do
    Im not expert, but the positive is VERY wriong.
    The negative makes it better, but maybe it's still not right.
    I've nothing to compare it too.. never used FFB before

The negative only seems to be a mess at the start, other than that, it seems a better option.
    I think my wheel is broken.
    The old Thrustmaster T80 feels better than this junk

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. Auduns75

That is a bit strange, when you have the ffb reversed it should feel like your balancing on a edge, when it's correct it should not fight you, ams ffb is very subtle and fine-tuned out of the box

7. MysticReverie

It's the exact opposite for me.
    If I have it reversed, the wheel fights against me when I try to centre it when driving.. it's like a magnet resisting another magnet.
    For some reason it seems me T150 is the opposite of what it should be...
    Or just broken.
    But it does work better on -75, I'm not sure how accurate the FFB is (maybe I am better without it !)
    But at least it doesn't wrestle with me

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  8. Auduns75

Then the positive seems to be right for your wheel, however it should not fight you, might just be that you need to get used to ffb

9. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

FFB orientation should be positive. FFB strength is personal taste, but 80-85% both in wheel profile & in-game seems to be a popular setting. Keep spring and damper settings in the wheel profile at 0%.

For further in-game settings, pure 360hz (or Pure 180hz in case you have any performance issues) is recommended - the options with extra effects are again a matter of taste, but they are canned effects and not particularly useful to car control. The Thrustmaster motor is fairly strong so Low Force FFB Boost can be lowish (20-40%). Keep Custom Steering Rotation in NO so the game automatically adjusts your wheel rotation & lock to appropriate defaults for each car.

10. MysticReverie

Thanks very much for the tips all.
    I will also uninstall/reinstall the Thrustmaster driver and have another crack later today

11. MysticReverie

Sorry, I ,meant it works better on - 75

12. MysticReverie

This is my problem.
    If I have it positive, its a mess.
    The wheel fights me like if you try to put to magnets of the same polarity together. It just keeps pushing away from me and wont let me center it.

The -75 setting behaves strangely when I am on the starting grid, wheel spins full rotation even if I just touch it a little.
    But once the race starts, it seems better than the + setting.

But still, I guess I am not getting the FFB experience I should be getting? ( I don;'t know as I've never tried FFB before)
    Probably better with FFB turned off !

13. MysticReverie

Update:
    I tried the + Setting swith other cars, and It works better.
    I think my 'Renault Clio cup 2013' mod's FFB setting are reversed ! That one I need to have set to -
    But the others I've now tried are better on +

I feel like I'm getting somewhere now and would like to thank you all for the time and help.

If I can't get Assetto or Project Cars to run well with my wheel, that's ok
    I think over all I prefer Automobilista anyway.
    The cars seem to have a nice weight and suspension, and also I can set the anti aliasing to high.
    AMS may use last gen graphics engine, but I'd rather a very smooth and polished last gen look than a latest gen jaggy and cluttered mess.

14. Auduns75

Ahh, you where using the Clio mod, the realfeel is reversed on that one. Press "Right Control+Numpad 8" and you should reverse the FFB for that car.

Seems like some of the mod cars, for a strange reason is shipped with reversed FFB

15. MysticReverie

Aye.. the murky world of mods.
    Best left alone by amateurs like me, can muddy the waters too much.

In fact, the official cars included in the vanilla game are running nice, with very little FFB tweaking.
    And 'vanilla' sounds too harsh, it makes it sound as if the stock game hasn't got many options,but as we know, it has loads of varied cars already.

Also lucky for me, my favourite mod, the Super V8's at Bathurst, seem to be set to proper FFB

16. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Being that you are coming from no FFB, I would recommend turning the Force level down so you can gradually get accustomed to how it feels. It should not feel as though the wheel is fighting you; it should be transmitting information about the weight transfer, tire-grip, curbs, etc. although, Self-aligning-Torque can be a constant - especially during hard cornering.

17. MysticReverie

Sounds like a good plan.
    It was a bit shocking yes.
    But I'm getting more accustomed to it - now I'm finding it quite exhilarating, trying to keep control of a stock car tearing round Oulton park.

Thanks again !

18. Allaeius

Allaeius Beginner AMS2 Club Member

Some wheels do have inverted FFB, for example the Fanatec CSW V2. I have to invert the FFB on R3E and AMS. I'm not sure about AC since I loaded a pre-defined profile instead of making a new one. Thrustmaster should be positive, normal FFB. Same with Logitech, IIRC. I played with Logitech and Thrustmaster first before I moved to Fanatec.

• Informative Informative x 1