1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mods and game stability (are they worth the bother?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MysticReverie, Aug 4, 2017.

1. MysticReverie

MysticReverie Member AMS2 Club Member

Apart from adding tracks which seem to cause no issues, a lot of mods I add seem to screw up the base game.
    Often stopping the game from loading up certain cars or skins, causing it to hang.

Are there any rock solid mods? or do most have this risk?

For example, if I download Super V8 Mod/skins, the standard Super V8's wont load.
    I installed a Mini challenge mod, and neither the vanilla content, nor the mod would load !

I'm happy playing the vanilla content anyway, but occasionally I see a mod or a skin I'd really like to try.
    But I and can live without the constant crashing/hanging that mods (or my incompetence?) cause.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Some mods insist on overwriting game files with their own versions, which can cause problems. One way round this is to use JSGME, a generic mod installer and manager which installs mods to any game, but keeps track of things so that the mod can be uninstalled and the game restored to its pre mod state. I won't put a link to it but just google JSGME and you'll have a link within seconds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I don't recommend installing/unzipping mods directly to the game folder, instead install/unzip files to a temporary folder, then copy from there to the game folder, do not overwrite original game files unless you're 100% sure about what you're doing (making a backup before overwriting files is recommended).
    I have a few mods installed: EEC GT3, EEC GTE/LMP2, GP2, WTCC, F1 2005/2013 skin packs; all of them work fine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Couldn't agree more. Organize folders per game and per aspect 'tracks' 'cars' 'liveries' 'sounds' 'apps' and have peace of mind forever. You can always compare the files afterwards and know what to delete or reverse if something is screwed up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NWRAP

NWRAP New Member AMS2 Club Member

To fix this run a steam integrity check after the skin pack is installed and it will remove the stuff thats stopping it from loading.

The new versions have been updated and the custom files removed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MysticReverie

MysticReverie Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks guys. Some awesome tips.
    Luckily the vanilla content is superb anyway.
    I will only install the occasional mod that I can't resist.

Shame Automobilista doesn't have a steam workshop though.
    Rfactor2 mods always work when downloaded that way, and when I unsubscribe from the mod, it is instantly removed with no fuss.