Deadzone problem with Xbox one gamepad on Automobilista

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Joshua, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Joshua

Joshua New Member

Hi everyone ;)

My first post here, i explain you the problem i have with new 1.4.72 evening update. (i did on RD too)

the new update has broken the gamepad gameplay, we have a huge deadzone even at 0% deadzone preset
    0% deadzone on axe Y,X,Z etc...correspond to 10% deadzone before evening update i think (that's my feeling, so yes it's huge)
    i cannot play anymore, i need all those little counter steer adjustement to control the car.

I cannot control power anymore, because i cannot make all these so important mini counter steering because of the big deadzone on the axe R , Z , Y, RY, RZ,RX
    Hope it's just a bug and not a volontary thing..., because if it's stay like that , the game is dead for me until i get a wheel...:(
    Or tell me if i can edit a file on the game to recover precedent build feelings because the 1.4.7 was perfect for gamepad, absolutely the most you can wait from a pad.
    unbelivable precison and smooth driving we had
    now im unable to control car when releasing power after slow turn, im unable to control car on braking line, cause i cannot do minor adjustement anymore.
    we need a REAL 0% deadzone like 1.4.7 precedent build.
    we do millimeter adjustement to control the car, and we cannot do that anymore

Please fix this , i will pay you a beer :D
    we just need same deadzone effect as predecent build provided.

I was to 3% deadzone before the update , and i use a Xbox one elite controller and it was perfect, amazing precision.
    now even at 0% the deadzone is so huge that the driving is brutal with absolutely no precison and not smooth anymore.
    unable to get any apex properly too, so yes it's a huge problem

thank you for reading me, hope you can help, i love Automobilista.

Excuse my english guys

2. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

This is a known issue and Reiza is already working on it.

Latest update implemented built-in controller deadzones that cannot be turned off.
    I talked to Alex Sawczuk about this in the beta forum, he said there will be an option to customize deadzones in controller.ini in the next major update.

Just out of curiosity what deadzone settings did you have before the update?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joshua

Joshua New Member

i have 3% before the update on axe R,Y,X and other.
    it was smooth and very precise, but now even 0% preset has a deadzone more important than 15% deadzone before update...
    so ...it is clearly undrivable.
    my woories is when the next major update will come?
    Because for the moment the game is dead for all gamepad controller players/users since this evening

thanks for answering FS7 ;)

EDIT: i can give you my full preset if you need it.
    cause deadzone are one of the preset but not the only one who made the game smooth and controlable

is there a way to edit files.ini to recover precedent builds feelings with controller until Reiza fix it ?
    i guess no but, may be a modder or a dev have a temporary solution for us

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  4. FS7

I'm not sure about release date for next major update, maybe in a few weeks?

This is going to sound a bit odd but could you try setting your deadzones to around 20% in-game and see if that helps?
    In the video below I do some testing with deadzone settings for my wired X360 controller, I move the triggers very slowly and look at the graphic on the left to see the input. With deadzone at 0% input goes from 0% input to around 20% input instantly, I think that sudden input is what makes cars very difficult to control. Oddly enough setting deadzone to 20% allows me to have more gradual inputs and made cars easier to drive.
    It won't feel as good as before the update, but it might be a temporary solution until the next major update is released.

5. Joshua

Joshua New Member

yeah i t helps a liitle ,thank you for trying, you can manage a lap without goes off track.
    But after 30 min hardtrying with a car i know and with good setup, i am 3 seconds slower than before...( 3 seconds..and this is still barely unplayable, no pleasure taken.
    We are still very far for something competitive.

"GP2 controller!" will say Fernando :D
    i hope we will not wait for several weeks...really.

if a dev can tell us if we can modify ini.files to recover 0%deadzone or is it impossible with the last build?
    seems weird they didn't noticed that before releasing the update.(the deadzone was so huge, i can't understand how they missed it.)
    but what is done is done, and i understand gamepad players are not the priority but i had a blast of fun before 1.4.72 update.

or just make a little update just for the deadzone and we will wait the next major update more quietly
    Please reiza.

6. FS7

I had already asked about that in the beta forum, it's currently not possible to disable the built-in deadzones. Apparently the reason they implemented built-in deadzones is because it's recommended by Microsoft.

7. Joshua

Joshua New Member

oh my god, it sounds very bad the microsoft thing.
    I really hope that we will have the precedent built deadzone back, and i doubt it now with this Microsoft recommandation.
    So this is microsoft who broke the game i love most...
    thanks to them....
    It worked perfectly before Microsoft recommended something.
    can they stay out of our favorite sim ?
    So if you dont have a wheel , you can say bye to all great sim
    Microsoft want me to play to F1 2017 i guess or Forza.
    I think they were upset by the precision et the smooth driving we can have with a gamepad in those sims
    so we dont play Forza anymore, and they don't like that
    It is a volontary thing from them because IT WAS PERFECT before Microsoft say something
    Do reiza have to follow Microsoft orders?
    was it a real recommendation or an order,( i mean a mandatory preset , but that is the same result) ?
    you may think i'm paranoid and i am unfortunatly :D
    but it looks like a "sabotage" from Microsoft side

They cannot ignore that this recommandation will decrease , precison, performance etc...they cannot.
    But in their game Forza, you do not need 0% deadzone, because , the game is so assisted , so casual , the physics so simple, that nobody need those minor adjustement.
    just turn left, and turn right,and the car goes where you want, full throttle or not, this is Forza...
    It's impossible in AMS, the game is so much more realistic that in the opposit you just cannot drive without a very tiny, a very very little deadzone.
    and more than that, sometimes with some cars you may need not a tiny but 0% deadzone.
    If someone could understand that.

anyway i have a bad day, and now to learn that make me upset.
    when everything is perfect , there is ALWAYS someone who want to change it
    Reiza, just to calrify things, i don't want a deadline or anything else, my question is that:
    are you able to return to precedent built (i mean for the deadzone ofc) in the next update or not ?

Give me hope please, unless this is 60 bucks throw by the window.
    i hope not because i've just tested Assetto Corsa and the 0% deadzone is still available.
    So i don't think this is a mandatory preset, just a bad, bad recommendation from microsoft
    So Reiza please , do not listen Microsoft about deadzone, they do not know what they're talking about in this specific case.

Thanks to Microsoft to make my game unplayable.
    very good recommendation from their side! really.
    Next time if they can let Reiza do their job, it will be far better.

excuse me for the big message, but i'm really upset.
    i don't have the money to buy a wheel before christmas, and Microsoft said "no controller anymore" in Automobilista... wtf.
    i don't have the words, want to stay polite, so i stop here.

thanks FS7 anyway.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

sorry to you guys does not happen to you that the left stick starts to spin only to the left and causes the car to turn sharply towards that side?

9. Joshua

Joshua New Member

I 've never had this bug , but i heared something about it.
    Never happened with me , i use a xbox one elite controller, so may be only for 360 controller and not for xbox one pad ?
    i don't know

10. hashegotabeard

hashegotabeard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This bug should have been fixed in the last hotfix that went out (it's noted in the changelog). If you're still experiencing it despite being on the latest version you should report it.

11. Joshua

Joshua New Member

not even one answer from Reiza after almost a week.

12. FS7

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Joshua

Joshua New Member

So...ok they do not answer me, they don't talk very much but they work hard instead.
    With the new controller.ini option, this is the perfection.
    Xinput Left thumb 32767 (max)
    Xinput trigger 255 (max again)
    deadzone
    1% on axe R, Z, X
    and 2% on RY,RZ,RZ etc...
    that's my settings.
    I can give my full settings (speed sensitivity, FFB % etc..) if someone need it.
    feel free to ask.

by the way i still don't understand what is deadzone S01 and S02 (i think its called like that, im not ingame)

Thank you Reiza, AMS is the best simrace for those who do not have a wheel.
    and by the way the best simrace at all. :D

Until Christmas is coming and my Fanatech CSW, i will have a blast with AMS and my xbox one elite pad. (the sticks are much taller in the elite version, it gives more precision than x boxone classic pad).
    Very noticable.

Nice work Reiza , you hit the mark (and thanks FS7 for the topic update :D)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. FS7

They didn't answer here (not sure why), but they did answer in the controller thread in the Beta forum.

X/Y/Z = left analog stick
    RX/RY/RZ = right analog stick
    S0/S1 = triggers

I set all the built-in deadzones to 0, then 20% center deadzone in-game in both analog sticks to compensate for the wear (both sticks are a bit loose in the center), that works fine for me.
    Besides the improved deadzones rumble support was a great addition too imo.