1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simracing and graphics engines - Raceroom and Unreal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AosudiF1, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

From a simulation point rF2 is the closest of giving most of/all the community wants/expect (needs a easier modding system IMO). But I feel they can't do it alone or it's too late to do it by themselves. Other devs/studios either can't or aren't interested. So if they were together would be a good thing. And they should do that asap while Forza isn't on full force yet.
    Ofc that's just a sim racer dream. :D It's a bit annoying to see how things are now in sim racing compared to 10 years ago, I expected more.
    And no, they won't compete with P Cars 2 and AC 2 only (and if things aren't easy now let alone when these 2 new games arrive). When you call your product a simulator you are fighting everyone in the sim market, unfortunately that's how it is. Of course when you have much things being simulated it can get harder for the "casual" players but simple stuff such as small tips about dynamic track rubber on screen while loading a track could help a lot.

2. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

God, please no.
    Don't get me wrong, i do want all the tasty new shaders, lighting, tesselation and all the other cool things that have become standard in the meantime, but pCars graphics to me are: Lensflares, cinematic contrast and colorgrading, depth of field and alike. I don't want any of this in Reiza17

Forza is a racing game and i don't see it as a competitor for any isiMotor sim.

I'm absolutely with you that up to date graphics are important, but i still don't want any of this post-processing nonsense (or want to be able to disable it all) and physics / FFB / race features must stay highest priority. I don't need another good looking racing game that has no formation lap, weird FFB and dodgy physics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In my mind graphics just need to be good enough to be immersive but that changes over time. Today RF2 graphics are good enough but I don't play RF1 or GTR2 anymore because I no longer find them immersive. The same thing will happen with RF2 unless ISI keeps improving it which I don't think they are going to do. :(

I will probably buy Forza if the full version comes to PC because there are some fun things about it but given that most sim racers probably own a bunch of titles I don't think it would hurt sales for the PC sim vendors very much if at all.

I agree with @xnorb that PCars style graphics may be striking but they don't look realistic and I think if you aiming for a realistic sim then realistic graphics should be the target.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Will Mazeo

Come on guys... put your "uninformed concept" aside and go P Cars visual options, see the amount of stuff you can turn off if you don't want to see it, easy. P Cars make it easier to select what you want on visuals than any ISI product right now.
    Just start the game put it on medium turn all effects off and see how it still looks same (or even better) than rF2 and AMS on full.
    And that's only dry time, let's not even compare rain, would be too much humiliation for ISI products
    [​IMG]
    (settings on medium, PP off, all extra effects off, the AI is driving so no lights, thunderstorm conditions)
    So you don't want it in game even if you can turn them off because you simply don't like it? What kind of logic is that
    Please stop mixing this with physics.... also think you should get out of the "realistic visuals", that's what ISI has been saying they do in rF2, it's going very well as we can see right.... :rolleyes:
    If you think Forza won't compete I can't help you... look at the sim racing world or "sim racing world" outside isi titles and see it yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Will Mazeo

(Reiza please remove this limit to edit posts, it's senseless)
    To complete: as I said before this stuff helps to sell. If it sells there is more people joinning, if more people join we get more working on mods and more to race online. Win win for everyone.
    Better this than sticking to "realistic visuals" and see people leaving in a daily basis. Now if you like to see this happening tell me because I'll have no reason to post. :D
    One thing that really god my attention in P Cars is the stable fps despite having half of what I get in rF2. Rain+night or drytime and day the fps was nearly the same even in a track like Spa, this is great. rF2 always have strange variations depending on weather conditions

6. xnorb

That's why i said "or want to be able to disable it all".
    Problem is that all screens and videos that make your jaw drop usually don't represent reality but some overdone Michael Bay color grading / contrast / depth of field version of reality.

Regarding rain: Haven't launched pCars in ages but last time i did the rain looked cheap as there was exactly 1 rain texture and all the raindrops were always at the same spots.
    Driveclub is the real master of rain - you might want to look up those videos, they look absolutely sick!

7. Will Mazeo

The only thing that looks overdone to me in P Cars is the brake light, it's pretty ridiculous xD
    [​IMG]
    but usefull online, better than not seeing them at all

The rest (on graphics) to me feels just good
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind this is in a i3 2100 + HD 7850 (1gb), 36 cars on track

8. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

I am with Will on Pcars. The graphics are very good for sim racing and runs very smooth.
    Don't care much about the game itself but the graphics are very well done
    I got I5 @ 4.0 GHz and gtx 970 and can't get a smooth display in AMS!

I believe the issues is less Dx9 Vs Dx11 as it is the single threaded nature of Gmotor2 that is the current limitation.

9. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

pCARS has a lot of problems, but graphics aren't one of them.

What I'd like to see is different graphics settings for cockpit vs external camera view. For the external view, the DOF, lens flare etc would be consistent with it actually being a camera.

• Like Like x 1
  10. David Dominguez

David Dominguez Member AMS2 Club Member

And incredibly blurred backgrounds. I am with you.

11. Will Mazeo

That's something I don't like in P Cars graphic and I don't even understand why they did it. Just like a replay camera in AC that feels like someone is recording from a boat in the ocean, I don't get what is in some devs mind sometimes

12. Mike Kadlcak

Mike Kadlcak Member AMS2 Club Member

Thats why I still turn off all post processing and blur in all sims/games. AC ist best without the PP effects. I like to see what I see sharp and clear with my eyes and not fake some short blindness or something.

13. Jokeri

Jokeri New Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you or someone from your team shed light to noob like me what is involved when changing graphigs motor, how much work there is and what are the pros and cons of the new engine?

-TT-

14. Smiggie

Smiggie Member

I do the same, but in afternoon or early morning it's a mess. The screen is too dark and it's difficult to see through shadow. This is why when I can, I run only at noon.

TBH, don't punch me, but the best visuals are on iR, and then on Automobilista. They are crystal clear, very crisp, very natural colour palette. pCars for me is the worst, a lot of postprocessing effects, I don't like it at all.

For me, on a simulator, visuals have to be "functional". Pretty and shiny graphics IMO are necessary on racing games. (btw rF2 graphic it's not pretty and also not functional, for me it's just bad)

15. Will Mazeo

That's just a matter of fine tunning. Just because a graphic is good does not mean it's perfect. ;)
    P Cars graphis is good? Sure, but needs improvement of course, they all do. Specially on the car reflections they are very exagerated. Plus if a dev was going to do a graphic in that way he wouldn't have to worry about 90% of those effects, most people wouldn't notice they aren't there IMO

16. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

...why not acquiring raceroom game engine and develop it further?with 64bit support, etc etc?

17. Will Mazeo

Because Race Room did what Reiza is doing

• Like Like x 1
  18. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

I am not sure about UE4, I fear will be too heavy...

I will pay to see what reiza guy are doing with UE4, lol

19. xnorb

Things that would need to be addressed to make AMS look awesome without really changing a lot:

* Although the day/night cycle looks and feels great, the lack of shadows in cockpit is what still keeps it from advancing to the modern games out there.

* Textures need a complete overhaul, especially the gras looks extremely poor and interior textures need to be top notch. I don't want to look right to see a 256x256 pixel texture for my seat.

* Having more tree models also wouldn't hurt

Static 2D models of marshals / fans only matter in replays so i would rate them quite low on the priority list.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

+1 Having light and shade dappling the cockpit interior (a la R3E) really boosts immersion.