Is it possible to edit DynHUD like this?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Will Mazeo, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd like to make the gear number change color acording to certain % of the rpm. I know it happens on red @ 95% but I'd like it go like green till 50%, yellow till 70%, blue till 95 and then red. Or something like that.
    Is this possible?

2. SHOTIME

SHOTIME Member AMS2 Club Member

It'd be possible with a custom widget for sure. With the included one, you'd want to open the editor, select the widget, and see if there are options for that on the right side. Since the widgets are distributed compiled, they aren't editable past whatever options the developer chose to expose via the editor.

3. Will Mazeo

I decided to do something else, still needs some changes but going to be something I wanted :)

4. SHOTIME

I don't use the default HUD.. so I assume the change I'm looking at is the dots? Looks good! If I may ask, how did you do that? A different widget laid over the tach?

5. Will Mazeo

I edited original Reiza hud by deleting the red part and copying the transparent part to replace it then copied a bit of the gray transparent part to the top all with GIMP (the idea is to have that part as the shift indication, with red and blue leds, need to find out how to set it correctly)
    Then I got the revmeterwidget (in the Standard menu) and edited it, removed all the parts that wasn't necessary, but it was a pain as some of them if you remove they make the leds go to a place and stay there no matter what, so I removed some objects and deleted other images in GIMP that keeps the file there so the leds won't move and as it is transparent they don't appear.
    Then you put the leds in their places, this takes time :D I need to re do this part :confused:

6. Will Mazeo

Btw all the changes make the hud stay inside the cockpit, I don't like anything outside it

7. SHOTIME

Interesting technique, I hadn't considered editing the textures. With the way you're doing it, do you have the ability to specify which texture is used so you can get the colors you want? Just curious, I suppose.

Also, I'd assume that each LED is an instance of the revmeter widget? Notice any performance degradation from that?

8. Will Mazeo

Don't know what you mean, I just opened tach_grey (Reiza) and the revmeter in GIMP and did the edits, after that exported as png and overwrite in the original folder. This way they don't become white squares as with other programs. Sorry I don't deal with this stuff so I don't understand you at all, first time I'm doing this, I tried some online editors first but they didn't work well
    Yes the LEDs are from revmeter, you can use max 20, I wanted about 30 tbh. Didn't see any performanc ehit from that, still locked @ 120fps just fine
    Btw it is ready, just need to drive the cars by myself now to find the correct rpm values for the leds

9. SHOTIME

Your latter video answered my questions, I think (I was just trying to understand a little better the idea of editing existing widgets). I haven't messed about with the existing widgets the way that you here, but it would seem to be working out well for you, so that's cool! Glad to hear it's not making a performance hit, kinda figured it might with that much going on.

10. Will Mazeo

Each led is not a different instance (if I understood it right), they are all in the same, see

11. SHOTIME

I just fired up the editor and see what you're doing now... kudos on the patience man, ha. I never really messed with the settings on the default widgets, so I didn't realize that you could specify a desired number of LEDs on that one; I figured, as you understood, that you were using a single instance for each LED. But that's a clever solution to that, sir. You did mention wanting more LEDs, why not use one instance for the circle and another for the ones up top? Clearly not the cleanest way, but it'd get you more LEDs.

12. Will Mazeo

After putting all the leds I was so bored I didn't think about it xD I think it's good now, just need to adjust the rpm

13. Will Mazeo

Now finished, just testing with the F1 cars to see how close to the shifting the red and blue leds go on :) (still need to adjust the moment gear go red)

14. Will Mazeo

Now it's a final version xD looks better with less leds than previous one I posted above.
    The leds on the top go all blue when close to shift (gear will go red if you push more)
    Moved the info to bottom of the screen as I don't like any of this outside the cockpit, only kept the delta time in original position. And also using the other fuel widget for more detailed fuel data.
    One thing I don't get is why Reiza does not let the best lap widget go purple if best lap overall by default.

15. SHOTIME

Looks good, Will! Definitely approve of the less-LEDs approach, but then again, I like simple.