Pure FFB

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by MaxDamage, Mar 10, 2016.

1. MaxDamage

MaxDamage New Member

Hi all

I have joined early access on Steam because i was very impressed by videos and screenshots of the game.
    I'm using a DRS integrale steering wheel that is capable of manage > 1000 Hz ffb rates.
    I'm using this steering wheel with AssettoCorsa ( 666 Hz ) and Rfactor2 ( 400 Hz ) and iracing (120Hz ) and is impressive how many more details you can feel on palms of the hands when ffb rate is higher.
    It's far better a track without laser scan at 600 Hz than a laser scan one at 120 Hz...
    So i was very happy with previous release of Automobilista, 720 Hz ffb rate was a joy, and i'm disappointed new max rate is only 360 Hz.
    I tried to set "ffb skip = 0 " in controller.ini but with no success.
    Please add again the 720 Hz mode !

2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

There´s no way to run FFB at 720 hz , that´s the physics engine tick rate. Realfeel (and thus FFB) is capped at 360 hz, same as previous builds (but 4x higher than the 90 hz from SCE).

3. MaxDamage

MaxDamage New Member

In previous release i set ffb skip = 0 in controlleri.ini .
    I'm developing part of DRS steering wheel driver ( by the way, we have developed a plugin for Automobilista for automatic steering wheel range detection procedure, so our steering wheel driver detect actual steering wheel range of the car and send it to the steering whell driver ... :) ) and i have a interface to investigate all ffb rates, packets, etc... and i'm pretty sure i was reading 720 Hz ffb data rate, and i was very happy with that.
    I see what your sim send to the steering wheel and i think you are doing a fantastic job with Automobilista.
    So phisical engine tick is 720 Hz so could your sim send a ffb packet every tick, without skip ?

4. Torsten Krämer

Torsten Krämer New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello,
    I want test the 180hz FFB. But the Game doesn´t accept this. When i am leaving the FFB Settings and go back again to the FFB settings the Game puts the FFB automatically back to 360hz.
    Is this a bug?
    Sorry for bad English

5. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

i barely notice the difference between 180 and 360 lol

6. Renato Simioni

No because as said, plugins only run at 360 hz. Realfeel is a FFB plugin so that´s the max FFB rate you get.

Increasing tick rates is something that needs to be done carefully when you´re working with such diverse range of systems and equipments. Doubling the physics tick rates from 360 hz to 720 hz, quadrupling plugin rates from 90 hz to 360 hz, as well quintupling input rates from 100 hz to 500 hz have all already been very aggressive updates made with AMS, and though we´ve tested this extensively before release, we´ve seen issues when exposing it to a wider range of users which we now believe have suitably covered for. We might play with it a little further and offer a few more options along the way, but right now there are other priorities to attend.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Uff

Uff New Member

Hi Renato,
    as you can read in your own description, FFB could definitely reach 720 (at least that's what Niels wrote):

- FFB is no longer limited by framerate or a maximum of 90hz, we fix the value at 720, 360, 240, adjustable in the controller.ini

[​IMG]

Was it a typo or am I reading it wrong? I'm asking just to understand the values we were getting. :)

8. Renato Simioni

It´s a typo indeed. Max FFB rate is 360 hz as capped by realfeel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

could someone explain exactly what a higher hz effect would you feel through your hands.. Would it be more detail or stringer detail. Im not educated on ffb rates. sorry.

10. MaxDamage

MaxDamage New Member

If you are driving a car at 100 km/h , so 27 meters/second , and phisic engine and ffb engine are working at 720 Hz , and of course your steering wheel is fast enough to render all the things, you can feel each bump, obstacle, tyre marble etc long 27*1000 /720 = 38 mm or longer on the track .
    There are not many steering wheels capable of, so i understand Reiza point of view to limit the ffb rate to 360 Hz, more than enough for 90% of steering wheels on the market.
    For comparison Iracing ffb rate is only 120 Hz, and rfactor2 is quite the same as Automobilista ( 400 Hz ).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tr51

Tr51 Member AMS2 Club Member

Holy words
    :cool:

:hurrayreiza:

12. Jeff70

Jeff70 New Member

Just so that I'm clear on this,I should run 180Hz with my Accuforce?

13. Uff

Uff New Member

I made a small comparison video with the very first release of AMS (not yet updated with the patch released yesterday).
    On the left you can see the number of FFB packets received in 1 second with FFB Skip = 0, on the right with FFB Skip = 1.

14. MaxDamage

MaxDamage New Member

Yes, exactly !

15. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

yes, but the point is it was just sending the same data twice, and pointlessly taking up resources.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Uff

Uff New Member

Thanks Alex, that's just what we wanted to know (and it was my thought too after Renato's reply).

Cheers. :)