v1.5.1 and system crashes

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by ucfquattroguy, May 4, 2018.

1. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy New Member

Anybody else getting system crashes mid-session while driving or exiting the TV Replay menu? Initial version 1.5.1 was fine, but since Tuesday or Wednesday it’s started. No hardware or drivers have been updated on my system since last successful 1hr race on Sunday March 29.

2. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

More details pls.
    Series/track/ai count..
    Which exact session..

3. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy New Member

Crash validated with both SuperV8 and Boxer Cup cause complete crash. Screen goes black, white, or red and system becomes unresponsive. Had a brief "interruption" while testing Patrick's latest CART Extreme update at Imola. No crash, just black screen that came back after a few seconds.
    Jacarapagua and Imola
    Test Session w/20AI

Imola was both while driving as well as after watching AI drive around for a bit in the TV Viewer upon attempting to exit back to the timing screen.

I hope I can rule out system-specific stability issues, as I had a dozen AI run around in other sims (rF2) for some time both in and out of the respective TV viewer screen. I haven't actually driven rF2 since this AMS issue, though.

Had a successful 1+hr session on Sunday after the initial 1.5.1 update in the Boxer Cup cars (Practice + race). Noticed a small "micro" update a day or two after. Observed the above problem ever since.

I hope that helps. My system is a i5-750/GTX660Ti/16GB DDR3 RAM on Windows 7.
    @Domagoj Lovric

4. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy New Member

Update: I think it was down to some graphics settings I had chosen in the configuration tool. Flipping back and forth between release and beta, I'd noticed the menus and text as well as track graphics quality was a bit blurred in the release version. I reverted to an older setting in the config drop-down and everything cleared up again. Was able to successfully drive a session, toggle back and forth in and out of the TV/Replay viewer and exit without crashing.

The "Medium 8Q" is what my system seemed to like. Going to anything that included "2xSGSS" in the setting seemed to generate my symptoms.

5. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy New Member

It appears as though the crashing issue has come back to life. I've been able to repeatedly reproduce it with the Formula Vintage '67 at Brands Hatch without fail. Haven't make it more than a lap before either a Red or White screen system crash. Haven't been able to reproduce with Boxer Cup yet. Yet....

i5-750
    GTX660ti

For what it's worth, I had been running a GTX560 up until a couple of weeks ago without any issues. Is there some nuance with the 660 that I've been overlooking? I thought my previous issue had been squashed with avoiding certain options in the Graphics Config.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  6. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy New Member

Huh...enable VSYNC in the graphics configuration app and I can no longer reproduce the crash. I guess I'll keep it there and report as needed.

7. Spin

Spin Active Member

If Vsync caused the crash to stop happening, may you disable VSync again and set your in-game fps limit to your monitor's/game's refresh rate?

8. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy New Member

I'd actually started getting crashes again even with VSYNC enabled, so that wasn't it.

After a bit more testing, it may be linked to my GPU. I'd recently switched from GTX560 to GTX660ti that my brother-in-law gave me. While temperatures weren't super high (70-74C range while in AMS), I applied a more aggressive cooling fan profile and haven't seen a crash yet after about 45minutes of gameplay (peak temp is now 58-60C). I'll continue to test and monitor and report back.

All in-game graphics settings and configuration settings are exactly as I ran with the GTX560.

9. Spin

Spin Active Member

Weird, I wouldn't have expected 70-74 degrees to be anywhere near hot enough unless it's something else on the GPU that's overheating like the VRMs. At least you (hopefully) found a fix.

10. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy New Member

Still crossing my fingers. Successfully raced and recorded a 10 lap race. Hopefully down clocking to what NVIDIA specs for the plain vanilla 660ti (this particular card was OC'd by EVGA) and more aggressive fan profile fixed it.

11. BB36

BB36 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  12. Spin

Spin Active Member

This exact problem was a known issue for some in some previous versions. I had it too. If I remember correctly, the workaround was to start the game with a specific command-line option, disable Audio Post FX, or both. I think that solved it for the majority of players. There was quite a bit of discussion about it in the official bugs thread.

I was discussing it with Reiza and some others for a couple pagesstarting here:
    Automobilista bug report thread (Please read the opening post)

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  13. BB36

Thanks for the advice. I added "+Trace=2" into Steam launch options. Without changing any other parameters (eg I left AudioPostFX = Full), I couldn't replicate the same game freezing after 90 mins trying multiple car and track combinations. Previously it would crash say 1 out of every 4 attempts. This is looking very promising and works across both my clean and highly modded copies of Automobilista.

By the way what does "+Trace=2" do? Does it generate some massive log file that I should be deleting?

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spin

Spin Active Member

Nice!!! I can't remember what it does or doesn't do but glad it's working again.

15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I've been having the freezing issue also recently. It seems to occur whenever I load a new car or track (Lower Right Arrow / session launch) but, it only happens the first time. After that, it doesn't seem to be an issue until I change car or track.

I haven't tried disabling the Audio PostFX yet but, that's next.

16. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It creates a log at My Documents\Automobilista\userdata\log\trace.txt. It will be overwritten fresh at every game launch.

It would be strange if enabling it solved a stuttering issue. On slower drives I find it has the opposite effect. Have you tried it again without since you enabled it?

17. BB36

- Up to the beginning of this week I was getting a crash approx 1 of every 4 attempts
    - When I applied "+Trace=2" in Steam launch options I had zero failures in approx. 80 attempts
    - When I launched Automobilista directly via AMS.EXE (i.e. without the "+Trace=2" launch option in Steam) the crash occur 1 in 70 attempts.

Don't know why but Automobilista is a lot more stable after applying that Trace above.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Manuel Staedel

Manuel Staedel Active Member AMS2 Club Member