I would like some help from someone who knows FFB (for some mods)

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Kostis Vigos, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Kostis Vigos

Kostis Vigos Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's the problem: The parking forces work normally but when I start moving, after they turn off, there isn't any weight at all on the front tires. All other forces are there, curbs, bumps, taking a walk on the side of the tracks, all are here. But the front tires have no resistance at all. I can turn my wheel with my small finger and the wheel doesn't try to turn back at the center position.

One of the mods that this happens is this: Ferrari F40-Compitizione | 723hp/706Nm (an amazing mod)

My wheel is a DFGT but I don't think it's a wheel related issue as other users reporting this problem have different wheels.

So, if anyone knows how to do FFB in general, please, bring some suggestions here (or at the support of the mod I linked) in order to find a solution for this.

(other mods I have the same problem are the Saxo, a GT1 mod (with all the cars in it), a 2CV mod, a Mazda MX-5...)

Thanks for reading!

2. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Member

Have you tried reversing the polarity of the ffb?

If + try - ....or vise versa.

3. Kostis Vigos

Although this is not the issue I had already tried it, just in case. The problem is that there is no force at all to the wheel to return it to the center. If it was the inversion it would still turn the wheel but instead of turning it to the center it would try to take it to the sides.

4. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Member

Indeed it would. Just wasn't sure you actually drove it around to find out, or if you just pulled out of the garage, realized something was wrong, and didn't know what to do.
    However, sometimes when polarity is reversed there will be quite a "deadzone" where there really isn't any feel, and I've never had the wheel try to return to center at all with polarity reversed, so if you didn't take it out on track, could still be the issue.

Are you using any low force boost?
    What's your logitech profiler look like in terms of settings?

Have you tried copying over some nicely working ffb stuff from another car to see if it fixes the issue?

I fixed a few cars that had such an issue with weird forces, reversed polarity, etc....but, never really did get them to feel as they should. I lack the technical abilities, and the motivation to spend too much time with it, so I was more or less going with the simple things

Good luck.

ETA: Just came from RD, reading the discussion on this very issue. So just ignore what I said there. Seems you (and others) have been working on this a while.
    Given the feedback from mod creator, I'm going to pass on spending any time with the mod, testing, or seeing if I have the same issue on my wheel.

....sorry I could not help.

Second ETA: (lol).....maybe a bit harsh on the mod creator with the above. I completed the thread and it appears there's been a realization this is a real issue for some, so won't discount a potential fix at some point.
    Came back to add this because I was not trying to knock another's work, just those first few pages felt like denial and I should have read further before saying something. :oops:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  5. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

No you're not being harsh. The F40 mod is rubbish and unplayable. Physics is rubbish. While I deeply appreciate a good mod, they are few and far between and I now avoid them as they are a waste of my time generally. Why bother if you cannot replicate the physics that Reiza use?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Kostis Vigos

I have been doing some testing and here are my findings again: The force that wants to keep the wheels straight is missing. It feels as if the wheels have no width or if there is no weight on the front of the car at all. It's the same feel as if you lock the front wheels when braking and turning the steering is totally loose.
    Also when I tried turning both the overall ffb and the low ffb all the way up, the car steers a bit to the right (others said to the left). I would think there is a mistake to the suspension or somewhere like that but the mod author has checked these.

@Jason Whited
    Actually you can help! Since I have no clue on modding stuff, can you please tell me what are the ffb files in the cars? Where can I find them? I can try using the ffb files from Pagani Huyraya, from the same person, which works fine for me and see if this fixes the issue. It would be a step forward since I'm at a halt at the moment and can't do anything else.

@Supa
    If you think you can do better, why don't you? Make your own F40 mod with the correct physics. We're all waiting for the link to it. Every one who makes a mod deserves respect, even if the mod is bad. Why? Because they do it on their free time and are not getting paid for it. Now instead of being so rude, it would be appreciated if you had some constructive criticism for the mod to help us find the problem and help the mod author fix it. Otherwise, it is a free mod, if you don't like, don't use it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Member

@Kostis Vigos
    You can edit ffb stuffs in the real feel plugin. Just open AMS root folder, scroll down, you'll see it.

8. Kostis Vigos

Oh I did that. It doesn't fix it. It makes the ffb stronger or lighter but the main problem remains. Missing the force of straightening the front wheels.. I was thinking something more specific to the mod's files directly.

Oh well.. I guess I'll leave it as is until I get any other ideas.. Sucks because the model looks fantastic. The same with the GT1 mod. Too bad.. Thanks anyway!

9. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Member

HDV files?
    Not sure what you'd need to alter though, and those alterations are certainly going to have "rebound effects" (consequences)...so, I can be of no help there.

Have you tried moving caster to extremes? This can have a very large effect on ffb, especially return to center? Though, if it's a physics issue with the mod itself, that's also kind of worthless. :(

Good luck though, if you do decide to bother with it more :)

10. Gilles Lalonde

Gilles Lalonde MotherDawg

You could try this... ;)

My best bet is, since you're using reversed polarity and since AMS uses RealFeel 0.9.3.6 that includes Leo's parking lot effect, RealFeel has two fields that also needs to be set to a negative:
    MaxForceAtSteeringRack and Kf.
    Code:
    MaxForceAtSteeringRack=-2000.000000
    SteeringDamper=9500.000000
    FFBMixerRealFeelPercent=100.000000
    FrontGripEffect=0.200000
    SmoothingLevel=1
    Kf=-11500.000000
    Ks=2.000000
    A=1.000000
    Kr=3.000000

A POSITIVE "MaxForceAtSteeringRack" plus a NEGATIVE "FFB steer force input max" will wreck havoc with your brain. You millage may vary as it seems different mods need different settings. I remember having to flip only one of the two in some rF1 mod and sometimes, I set both to negative and keep the in game to positive. ~half a dozen permutation, the fun is when the parking lot effect is upside down, you get into the car and the wheel goes bang against the stop. Then you star driving and the forces equals out.

While at it, set the default lines (top part) to negative too... and back it up as Steam will takes pleasure overwriting all personal your settings... the thing vapor locks often enough.

HF

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  11. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member