Mechanical failures - a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Salvatore Sirignano, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Salvatore Sirignano

Salvatore Sirignano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So, in my quest for a realistic offline experience playing with the F Vintage, F Retros and F Classics, the last piece of the jigsaw I seek is the correct level of attrition in races.

It would be great in my 20-30 lap races to have maybe a third to half of the cars break down. This can only be achieved by changing the LifetimeAvg and LifetimeVar values in the engine.ini, the game code randomly producing brake, engine, suspension and lastly, gearbox failures. It works brilliantly apart from the gearbox failures, which result in the AI driver doing the rest of the race on the rev limiter stuck in whichever gear they are in, which spoils the race for the other cars. With the other types of failure they quickly leave the track.

I have tried modifying the Hyperwearthreshold and instantblowup values in the engine.Ini file to have them blow their engines after driving on the rev limiter stuck in gear, but these only affect the player it seems.

@Renato Simioni would it be possible for you to either..
    A) Make the Hyperwearthreshold and instantblowup values affect the AI (so my workaround works) ?
    B) Have a look 'under the hood' and remove gearbox failures from the game's failure generation code?

The second option would probably be easier and require less testing..

Thanks for your time reading this, and thanks for all you have done so far making this sim head and shoulders above the rest! :hurrayreiza:

Happy holidays! :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Salvatore Sirignano

Further to my above post, I've had a bit more time to experiment with this over the past few days. I came across this thread which also details the problem...
    Ai gearbox failure bug

I've run various race sessions at Reiza tracks, with Reiza unmodified content. I've tried setting mechanical failures to either normal or time-scaled and run races an hour long. Unfortunately, with stock content, there seem to be no mechanical failures, which isn't a very accurate reflection of historical, or indeed, contemporary motorsport. Every race has ended with all finishing, as below...

[​IMG]

@Renato Simioni (Sorry, this is the last time I'll tag you)

The only way to have realistic mechanical failure rates is to change the
    LifetimeAvg=20000
    LifetimeVar=1000
    lines in the engine.ini file. The above is for the V8 F-Vintage, ie. 5.5 hours +/- 17 minutes before any failure.
    For the F-Classics it is :
    LifetimeAvg=43200
    LifetimeVar=12960 which is 12(!) +/- 3.6 hours before failure, both are way too high.

Please could you have a look at removing the gearbox failures from the game's code so that we can create our own failure rates as desired without the stricken-by-gearbox AI crawling around and ruining the races?
    I will be eternally grateful / have your babies (even though I'm a guy) / put a statue of you in my front garden if you have a look at solving the issue.

Gets stuck in second...
    [​IMG]

Roadblock for rest of race..
    [​IMG]

Please take my nagging as a compliment, I have had an Oculus Rift gathering dust for over a year because yours is the only sim I play. It is so close (99/100) to being the perfect offline sim, but for this one little failure thing. :cool:

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Salvatore Sirignano

I have also tried adjusting the blue flag severity in the series file so that any AI limping around would get instantly black flagged. Unfortunately I couldn't make it work.

Would be delighted if this failure issue were solved, it would absolutely be the icing on the cake.

Hope you all at Reiza had a happy festive period. Looking forward to what will be coming our way in 2019! :hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Salvatore Sirignano

Bump :)
    I'm aware you're short of man hours to look into this kind of thing with AMS, I'd be very willing to help test any kind of fix for this.

5. kewcet

kewcet New Member

Hey, that's exactly the problem I'm having right now. So do you have accomplished anything?
    Hopfully someone of the Reiza guys reads this, it would be a great fix...
    Oh and btw do you know a way to induce mechanical failures to the player as well, as the two lines in the only seem to affect the AI's reliability @Salvatore Sirignano

• Like Like x 1
  6. Salvatore Sirignano

It would be absolutely wonderful if Reiza tried to fix this, but nobody has acknowledged this issue, so judging by the silence I'm not optimistic. :(

It's been a while since I experimented,
    But you can adjust the Hyperwearthreshold values to blow up more quickly, I'll experiment further :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Salvatore Sirignano

Bump

I know you guys are busy with AMS2, which I'm very much looking forward to! As AMS2 isn't going to be as 'tweakable under the hood', is there any chance of this issue being sorted for the final AMS1 update? Would be very nice to have this failure behaviour sorted :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I think, it fits here:
    Just did a 1h 30min. race multiclass with the AJR Chevy V8.

I lost the front right brake in the last 2 minutes :D kapow, g'bye

What is the best/reliable way to save some live in them? You can't adjust brake cooling in this car. I would like to keep some pace, if possible.^^ Less slipstream?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Did you wear it out or was it "random" mechanical failure? Two different things... @Salvatore Sirignano wants you to have already had a decent chance of losing the car due to some other failure before you got to the last two minutes ;)

10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I can't tell exactly. Damage -> time scaled was turned on. The right front brake was "popping" and the car was just braking with the remaining 3 brakes and was undrivable, of course
    Track was Velo Citta, so a demanding track for materials aswell.

I was driving together with Boxer Cups, MCRs, MR18s and other AJRs in a AI multiclass race and was just in a undercut pitting situation to regain the lead, but with much traffic, so i was pushing really hard, to gain every tenth i could get....

The AI on 109% can be pretty challenging, if you have bad luck with backmarkers and some light front damage (just bodywork), so i tried, to squeeze every bit of pace out of the poor little prototype :D
    The brake temps are pretty often high, because of all these trail braking opportunities there on VC. Unfortunately, i haven't monitored any telemetry...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019