1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So....... the AI in AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Msportdan, May 24, 2019.

1. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just tried the AMS Boxer at Imola. Drove onto the track and turned on AI driver control. You get jerky steering as if they are being steered by a controller.

2. taylajee

taylajee Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You need to improve your reading comprehension of English language. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nathaniel Reese

Nathaniel Reese Active Member AMS2 Club Member

your interpretation of written text is very vague and misleading :) .. but there is easy fix .. take everything you took from that text and reverse how you understood it and viola now you got it right ;)

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Hmmm, interesting, I have never tried that. Any speculation as to why the AMS AI do not appear to doing that when we view them driving their own cars (during a track session or replay), but the ones in PC 2 do? As I mentioned, maybe they all do it, but someone just smoothed the graphics in the other titles than PC 2?

5. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

It's the same on AC...the great thing about AMS AI is how the cars don't brake in a compulsory way on turns...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wexodius

Wexodius Member AMS2 Club Member

You know how sometimes at AI level 100% on track layout A the AI are a real challenge and on track layout B you fly past them with ease...

Could it be possible to implement a system that remembers per track layout your prefered AI-setting so that you have a more-or-less consistent competitive AI behaviour on different tracks, without the need to fiddle with the AI-slider each time you change track layout? Or any other system that achieves a similar consistent result when racing the AI (like it adapts to your skill)?

Hope there is some support from within the community to appreciate such a feature becoming present in AMS2 at some point of its lifecycle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

I can chip in and comment on replay part - AMS packs steering wheel position for displaying in replays (or over network) in only 7bits, for full range. It might be just barely passable for 180 lock-to-lock but anything higher and it is pretty notchy. This would be main reason why in replay you cannot see fine steering detail input.

For player's own car with 1.5 patch we added feature internally called "high resolution steering replay", but since it came in very late in AMS life, we deliberately enabled it only for player car, as it packs more data (not enough testing could be made how it affects replay size, and sending it over network was scrapped immediately on idea level).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

AMS tracks from Reiza are calibrated very carefully for the most part. It's up to the modder to do the same for mod tracks, but it is rarely done--because it takes a lot of time and effort, or, because the modder is only interested in online multiplayer use without AI.

Remembering the AI Strength setting per track would be handy, but it would also diminish one of the best "polished" aspects of AMS. You don't need to adjust/fiddle with the AI Strength for every car and track combination to get it right. Ask any rF2 user how completely annoying it is to start with a "roulette wheel" guess on every different combination.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I remember a similar discussion happened during the development of AMS 1: the goal of Reiza was to calibrate everything so that once you have found your setting (we all have a different pace!), that setting should work across all content.
    They didn't fully succeeded imho, but at least it mostly works for each car. Once I have an ai strenght that works for a car, I can use it for all tracks with that car(maybe drop it a bit for the first laps on a new track that I don't know). And since each serie remembers the ai setting, that worked great!

Raceroom also have an adaptive ai that works pretty well, that could be an another solution...

I have faith Reiza will give us a nice solution, hopefully this is an another point were AMS 2 will be even better than 1! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rob Fitness

Rob Fitness Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I only just got PC2 in the last week.. A. because it was on cheap arse special and B. wanted to taste whats coming from Reiza. I too have noticed the jerking of the actual front wheels and it is a real turn off.... its like the AI is thinking ' I want to be 500mm more to the left' so they go about it in 10x 50mm sharp inputs on the wheel... looks really really bad. please don't allow that in AMS2.... oh, and PC2 has spoiled my other 2 goto sims and i cant look at them anymore without feeling deprived of candy LOL...
    hurry up AMS2 :D :hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1