1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim Force interview with Renato Simioni

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by FS7, Jun 2, 2019.

1. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Sim Force interview with Renato Simioni, English subtitles:

Huge thanks to all the guys that worked on the English translation & subtitles.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A banking app was crashing ams wtf.lol

Great interview guys cheers.

3. FS7

I've never had banking app crash any of my games but the banking app I have in my PC has conflict with some games, like causing high CPU/disk usage, so I had to find a workaround to disable it whenever I'm playing games.

4. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Thanks a lot to everyone involved for this great interview!

It was fascinating to get another peek at the thought processes involved in the development of AMS2, and seeing Renato's great attitude was especially reassuring for me with regards to keeping or even surpassing Reiza's established level of quality.

However, I am extremely saddened by the news that modding will almost certainly be impossible for AMS2, which effectively cut my hopes for this game in half.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to put blame on anyone here, least of all Reiza - it is related to the engine, and given the circumstances this was - in my opinion - still the best choice. In fact, having to maintain a game as modding platform is no small feat for an independent developer such as Reiza, which Renato also pointed out, so kudos for doing this in the first place with AMS!

Unfortunately this means that Automobilista 2 won't be the "sim to supersede all other sims" for me I had hoped for, as not a single racing sim that is closed to modding offers all of the content I want (though some do come at least somewhat close in terms of pure content).

This is especially true for tracks, though I am also going to miss the car mods. While it is true that very few modders could reach the quality standard of Reiza with their cars and tracks, some do come very close; I would argue that modders like Patrick Giranthon represent the peak of what the modding community is able to do, and that their work (at least for me) has considerably extended the life of many games and racing simulations, AMS included.

Still, I have some tiny shred of hope that there will be a solution that can enable modders to do more than just adding skins to the game (which I assume will at least be possible).

5. FS7

I often refer to Patrick Giranthon's AMS trackpack as unofficial AMS free DLC. It takes AMS' already great track selection and makes it even better by adding a number of well-known tracks.
    It sucks that modding may not be possible but I'll hold the criticism until Reiza releases more details on game content, what will be available in the base game, DLC content, DLC prices, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Well of we start to be vocal maybe we could have some IMSA and others series track as DLC...Renato said us he will listen the community so here we hare!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the translation, folks !

The interview confirms my expectations.
    Focusing on getting the basics right, porting some of the content and then gradually adding and refining features, functionalities, content.

Renato agrees 1 year development time is nothing, so this makes me wonder in what state 1.0 will be released. Personally a couple of high quality cars, tracks and a functional MP would satisfy me for starters + hopefully no game breaking bugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Msportdan

I'm glad there's no modding don't need it and rarely get close to reiza standards anyhow.. Actually can be said fir modding as a whole. A lot of garbage out there. And the good ones are behind a pay wall.

Still... Bring it on reiza ,

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
  9. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Renato's comments on selecting a new game engine remind me of my experience test driving new cars. The best was when the salesman passed me the keys and said "take it for a drive". The worst was when the saleswoman accompanied me on the test drive and I was restricted to a prescribed route lasting 15 minutes. Ian was clearly like the former. Other developers maybe more like the latter.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Msportdan

Ha I've only ever had that with MG!

11. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Being a modder myself, I think what you said is an offense to all hard-working modders and modding teams out there. I'd even go as far as saying that you've either tried the wrong ones or none at all.

Modders sacrifice thousands of hours of their free time without any monetary compensation whatsoever, just to bring this or that feature/content to game XYZ. Many of them are perfectionists, and the best of them can easily rival the quality of the content created by AAA developers who also get paid for their work.

Of course there is some low quality stuff out there, but that goes for paid content as well. Even large publishers have games in their catalog that never should have seen the light of day.

As for paid content, those guys aren't modders. They are third-party content developers, something that should never be confused with modding. Most of us modders aren't in it for the money (or we would be doing something else). I know I ain't.

Last but not least: So you don't like mods. Fine. No one forces you do download, install and play them. But saying that "modding isn't needed" just because you personally don't need or want it is a very limited point of view in my opinion. Many people want modding support for their games, especially for their racing sims.

• Like Like x 9
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. AlenC

AlenC Member AMS2 Club Member

He said "don't need it". As in I don't need it.
    Anyway, is there a point in arguing? There will be no mod support.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Msportdan

I did t mean to offend anyone especially you I recognise the hard work put In to the better mods etc but for me I rather use official stuff, it's just me. Ams really never needed mods imo. Rf2 does however and there's a lot of ****e out there for it..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Any additional info/insight shared by Renato in this video ?

Considering Thiago Izequiel is the interviewer, who used to be a member of Reiza AMS1 dev team for a couple of years, i reckon the overall discussion may be even more insightful than the Simforce one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Modding would be the cherry on the cake but it's not necessary, especially if accommodating it delays or interferes with the development of AMS2. Reiza will concentrate on what's important: making a great sim.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Msportdan

Yeah and as Renato said modding actually stopped the development of certain features to ams.

i would never want mods over features

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Are there volunteers to covert Patrick's track pack to AMS 2/Madness standards? The job to bring them up to AMS standards was already massive (and is still continuing by Gringo!!). Multiply that effort by 5 or so is my best estimate. Not really realistic to expect anyone to do this on a voluntary basis.

I would be delighted if Reiza contracts with the best modders (since they are a small core team) to produce a much larger volume of official content, quality controlled, and available as paid DLC. That way we get better quality, Reiza survives and thrives and deserving modders get some recompense for their efforts...and projects for their CVs if they are interested in pursuing careers in that field.

The level of simulation complexity has surpassed old-style modding. I am sad about that, too, but it is the price we pay for wanting ever-increasing levels of realism. Just accept that we have to find a way to get more content into our favourite sims and it involves supporting devs who produce quality work and who listen to their customers. See my post here:

AMS 2 DLC Vote with your Wallet List - Latest Formula 1, Motorsport, and Sim Racing News

If anyone will listen it is Reiza. But they cannot perform miracles or work as a charity. So let's them know what we are willing to pay for.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes, any chance someone fluent in Portuguese and sim racing could just detail anything different or additional from this interview compared to the first one (which was very comprehensive)? A full sub-titling is likely not warranted as Renato seems to be consistently and carefully limiting what he says these days.

19. Atsuki

Atsuki Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm going to watch and if there is any new info, I'll tell you guys

• Like Like x 1
  20. Atsuki

Atsuki Member AMS2 Club Member

*Renato drinking beer*
    In my option there was nothing really new, but I take some notes:

• They talked to the staff of Rfactor2, the DLC was to know better the Rf2 engine and raise some money.
    • S397 did not give they access to Rf2 engine.
    • Was asked about PC2 content go to AMS2: New licensing needs to be done, and they are expensive, so maybe not everything comes in at 1.0, for financial reasons.
    • Renato said he received a licensing budget of a track (he can not talk the track) that was 30 thousand Euros!
    • It is possible to negotiate some content directly with the SMS, but they will rebuild all the physics, sound, etc.
    • And it is possible the other way, content of AMS2 go to SMS.
    • If they launch the game for consoles, there is a licensing cost involved, and in the case of the 30 thousand euro track if they are to launch the game to console will have to pay the 30 thousand euros again. (for each platform).
    • A console launch is possible and likely, but not immediately.
    • The Reiza team has doubled to AMS2, but even so they have less than 20 people.
    • In the launch, the biggest focus will be on SP, with a MP that works well, and in the future (2020) will invest in E-sports.
    • No mods.
    That's all, sorry my poor english.

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4