1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok....now im a little concerned.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Msportdan, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Having not played PC2 for a while I booted it up recently and more today. Ive just come off racing the GTE (aston martin) at oulton park. I had the AI at 100 and wondered, how am I 10 sec off the pace. I drove this as I would rf2, like you would a sim. Ai was racing past me at every fast sweeping corner as if they were stuck to the ground. I was like "really"

So I thought sod it im gonna try drive like them, so I started really planting my foot on the gas in corners, the sort of thing in rf2 would chuck you straight into a wall or something! and to my surprise the car was gripping I was literally chucking this car around like I was playing TOCA, not only was the car sticking, my times dropped to the ai times - yet I was driving this with literally with no skill whatsoever!!

I was like oh crap now im concerned for AMS2?! PC2 was for me felt like I was playing forza or GT and playing it as such... it was can I say it soooooo simcade.

Im sure Reiza have this in hand, but im wondering how much can they make this engine more "hardcore" so to speak. Yes it has the weather and track tech but I think either the tyre model or the numbers put in pc2 is not very sim like at all. Ive been saying to people hey pc2 is very much a sim - but I think im wrong, its handling is far from it.

Please I hope im wrong about ams2. Don't get me wrong PC2 is fun for a blast but its nowhere near the rf2 ACC scale of sim, more nearer forza and GTsport.

geez I hope im wrong

• Dislike Dislike x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. AlenC

AlenC Member AMS2 Club Member

Did you turn off TC and ABS? Even with realistic option, loose setup always comes with max TC and ABS. It's the first thing I do on a car. I remember formula rookie behaved in this simcady way, exiting corners with full throttle, but after eliminating TC and ABS it started to behave more like AMS's formula trainer.
    One thing that does worry me, and AFAIK noone mentioned it so far, is gearbox simulation... I'm hoping Reiza will simulate it at least as in AMS.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Msportdan

was using authentic assists (suppose in a gt3 its real). But it wasn't so much my driving but, more so how how I had to drive to keep up with the AI.

4. AlenC

It's one of the most common complaints about PC2's AI, their inconsistency.
    But you seem to be blaming the game engine for unrealistic behaviour. I don't know how realisticly is TC simulated in PC2, but then I never tried GT3 cars in rF2 or ACC with TC maxed on dry.
    Still, if it's just a matter of TC, I'm sure that Reiza can handle it properly.

5. Msportdan

please....im not arguing and this isn't a rant. Why cant I just discuss something? . rather than being criticised for blaming.

Maybe the players physics are not matching the ai which makes you drive like burnout to keep up, im sure reiza will make the best of it but I have this concern back of the mind.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  6. AlenC

I thought we were disucussing...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Msportdan

We are of course.

8. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Apparently, you haven't seen my various rants around the internet asking why so few titles simulate the drive-train in a realistic way - LOL. :cool::D I find it kind of comical how so many can be so passionate about realistic FFB and physics but, completely miss the drive-train aspect, as if it were not a fundamental aspect of automotive engineering.

Much of the reason may have to do with motion-rigs. Those who use them are more likely to understand the value of a dynamic physical model that represents the natural oscillation and flex that exists in most race-car's drive-trains, not only in how the engine interacts but, also in motion cues. In certain cases, such effects can also influence traction-loss in RL, so it's much more of a factor than many realize.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Msportdan

Doesn't raceroom have it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Its there in the physics engine. Early in PC2s life, too many people complained that the cars wouldnn't change gear, so the effects were largely disabled. I don't think it will be difficult to "turn it back on". Same might well go for flatspots. Again SMS turned it off because there were too many people complaining about vibrating steeringwheels.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yes, iRacing and RaceRoom have more dynamic drive-train models. Some AC players mistake it as having one too but, it's a work-around that provides some wobble in audio effects only.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi all, my first post here! :)

About that thing with the GTE cars in PCARS2, it wasn't like that since the beginning. GTE cars "gained" extreme grip after the 3rd or 4th patch (a few months after the release), I think it was done to distinguish them much further pace-wise than the GT3 cars. What we got then (and still have it now), is for example that with GT3 cars that even though have ABS, you must properly modulate the brake to avoid locking up, but with GTEs (which do not have ABS), you can safely stomp the brakes!

In short, I agree that GTEs probably are not very well represented in PCARS2 (although they are fun to drive!). But that does not mean there's a general issue in the engine just judging from that, in my opinion it's just the "numbers" picked for those specific cars at some point. There are a lot of cars in PCARS2 with which you definitely cannot drive them like that, some are extremely difficult to handle actually, and I am pretty sure the AMS2 devs can calibrate the behavior of each car exactly as they want it to behave, so there should be no issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Msportdan

Having just watched that video I'm sure it's safe to say reiza have done wonders again even in this engine .

• Agree Agree x 2