1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simracing and graphics engines - Raceroom and Unreal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AosudiF1, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Synthbent715

Synthbent715 New Member AMS2 Club Member

100% agree with what you've said here. I've always much preferred iRacing and GSC/AMS very clean, crisp graphics style and natural color pallets.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jake Fangio

Jake Fangio New Member

I think AMS graphics are great.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For me personally the lack of proper cockpit lighting/shadowing is the main area where AMS graphics are a let down. For the most part the tracks, cars, textures and lighting are now pretty good. I hold out zero hope that the cockpit shadowing will or can be addressed with the current engine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Will Mazeo

For us it is great. But if you want to increase the player base (specially for online), sell more and make some casuals become more "hardcore" you need to be more appealing. And then AMS is not even close

6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

It does help some people's immersion if things look more lifelike, with proper shadows, reflections and a fitting color palette. I know it does for me, although I do like AMS' graphics.

7. FeltHat

FeltHat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

once casul smells hardcore he drops it
    #confirmedinfo

8. Will Mazeo

that's why u have to make them become one without them noticing it :p

9. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Today I spent a couple of hours (a rare fortune) with AMS...
    To be honest color palette e immage quality are soo good thai I hope we will not lost them with something else...

• Like Like x 1
  10. pennarguy

pennarguy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's back to the old topic of what a hard core sim' track racer wants and what the majority of other gamers want.
    It's a mind set thing that is never going to change...

11. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It shouldn't change.
    The big question is: Do you give people options or not?
    The "Arcade" setting would not have things like cool tires or brakes, grip levels could be improved and ABS and TC would be enabled.
    Wouldn't take away from the accurate phyics in the "Hardcore" setting.

Same for graphics.
    You like lensflare, movie-like contrast and Michael Bay effects? No problem, just click on the "Shiny shiny" preset. If you're more into a natural look, pick "Natural".

I don't know why so many people always argue that going one way excludes any options.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Will Mazeo

Exactly.
    Nowadays people are like:
    You: "I think this box need an option to be green, like that other one"
    He: "Wth, why paint it all green? Why force all to use green? why? Why not red or blue? Why can't it stay like it is?"
    That's exactly the kind of answer I get when I say AMS/rF2 needs a more mainstream graphic to attract more players, people automatically thinks you want all the stupid extra effects with it and make them impossible to be turned off.
    The internet nowadays is "if you don't like then you hate". There is no middle ground -_-"

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Having driving aids for people just getting into sims is one thing but if you compare say Grid Autosport with AMS it isn't just a case of a few check boxes between one and the other. Everything is different from the vehicles to include, race options, league style features, AI behaviour to even marketing, etc.

I think if you compare the look of iRacing with say PCars it isn't something you can do with a bit of AC-style post processing.

Plus think of all the flak Kunos are getting for making a console version of AC. It would be 10x as bad if you actually tried to make one "game" that went from true arcade to true sim. Just say the next version of GT has a "hardcore sim" mode. How many of us would accept it?

14. xnorb

The main problem is the bad reputation of games ported on other platforms.
    I know of not a single company that released a multi platform title on release that really focused on needs and strengths of the different platforms.

Usually the game is built for consoles and PCs get a somewhat working port but lacks PC-centric features, optimization and the higher quality assets that PC could handle.

Releasing on multiple platforms correctly would require you to build different versions of the game - something about nobody is willed to do as it's too costly and will split the community. (Well, splitting the community by releasing DLCs is OK of course)

AMS is still lacking a few features (in comparison to GTR2) but it's clearly a product designed for simracers who are used to PC simracing title quality and therefore wouldn't be a big problem of dumbing down the physics and remove some features to make it fit for a more arcady consumerbase.

15. Kevin Peat

We can agree to disagree but I think it is better to focus on one market (arcade or sim) rather than trying to be a jack-of-all-trades. The sim market maybe niche but AC has sold well and by the time Reiza17 is available a lot of people playing AC on PC may be looking for something new. So rather than cater to the arcade crowd I think the way to get more sales is more international circuits and more licensed cars.

16. JuergenBY

JuergenBY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Would be interesting, because i wont make the move to Win10...

17. xnorb

Isn't driving the BMW or Ferrari around Monza and Spa what the arcade crowd wants?

I just don't see why feature-rich, realistic physics and nice-looking should exclude each other.

18. Kevin Peat

Well feature-rich, realistic physics and nice-looking obviously don't exclude themselves, hopefully Reiza17 will have them all. My argument is that sim racers don't want to use the same "game" as arcade racers. If someone brings out a racing game that goes all the way from true arcade to true sim then I bet the arcade crowd will buy it but the sim crowd will not. You see that in the way Forza is marketed as a sim even though car physics in Forza seems (from what I know of it) to be pretty basic compared to AMS, RF2, etc.

Anyway not something worth arguing over, Reiza can make their new game as they like and we can decide whether to play it or not :)

19. Will Mazeo

You could make GTR2 very arcade and it still was used by simracers for a very long time

20. RichardAlm

RichardAlm Team Ricky Bobby AMS2 Club Member

It seems like their move to Unreal is happening this year, perhaps as early as August.
    I'm quite concerned, as the ISI-based games run more or less perfectly on my medium-level PC.
    If this is a push to make their game more visually appealing to the mainstream, they might focus more on the graphics than the physics and the content. That's how things usually go.
    It's too early to tell though.

• Dislike Dislike x 1