1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Performance Expectations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Holi, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Holi

Holi New Member AMS2 Club Member

I joined the early backing campaign because well I really like AMS but I haven't played it since I got a VR setup and well, Project Cars 2 VR performance is kind of terrible on my system at least (to the point of causing quite severe VR sickness) and I was wondering if you guys are able to tame the beast that is the PC2 engine and get it running smother for people like me with a weak stomach?

2. FeltHat

FeltHat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Whats your system? In most cases i hear praises for pc2 in terms of vr/vr performance. From what we know so far you should expect similar performance to pc2 in or out of vr.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ONA FLYER

ONA FLYER Member AMS2 Club Member

PC2 is easily the best looking and running game in VR on my setup. Looks incredible and smooth as silk.

I4790k and 1080ti,. Nothing special.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Holi

I'm on a i7 4790k and a Vega 56 and I'd argue PC2 is a horrible experience :) At least it runs much much much better than ACC but compared to the rest of the simulators out there it's fairly close to unplayable

Congrats on having spent a lot more money on your rig than I have ONA FLYER your parents must be proud however that actually doesn't pertain at all to my query though

Edit. I'm not gonna go into a fanboy argument or anything, this is my subjective experience of how that particular simulator performs on my system and I've spent literally hours trying out settings etc to no avail, my question is only regarding if performance/optimizations etc is part of the improvements that supposedly has been made to the engine or if I'm going to have to chose between suffering VR sickness or play something that runs better for me (yes I'm selfish like this but I'm fairly sure there are people with weaker systems also interested to know)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I only tried the Pcars2 Demo (albeit a long time ago) and the VR experience was very good on my lowly GTX970 with i5-3570k CPU, smooth and fluid with no major stutters (once I'd lowered the settings of course).

I've heard nothing but praise for the MADNESS Engines VR implementation so AMS2 VR performances worries me not, maybe you're just unlucky @Holi but as ever the proof is in the pudding so all you can do it await the Beta/1st Release of AMS2 and then see for yourself :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's quite strange. I'm on a slightly overclocked i7 6700k, which should be only about 5-10% faster than your CPU. And your Vega56 should be about 10-20% faster than my Nvidia 980Ti.

PC2 runs really good in VR on my end. With lowered graphics settings, of course. So it should run quite good on your system as well, i guess.

All i can say is, that PC2 performs surprisingly good in VR, considering its graphical quality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Holi

They deserve praise for menu navigation and stuff like that and I hope AMS 2 pick up some inspiration from that tbh, it's the rest that concerns me, and yeah seems I'll just have to wait for a build and enjoy smooth racing in the other sims until then.

8. ONA FLYER

ONA FLYER Member AMS2 Club Member

Grow up Holi and come back when your a mature woman/man

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Advanced Casual Sim Driver AMS2 Club Member

Since most of Reizas 3d models are made for an older engine i think the VR performance will be quite good. Apart from that PC2 runs quite good on my old GTX 1070 with an Oculus Rift CV1. I think AMS 2 will run better. PC2 has many issues, VR support isn't one of them (except for some weird bugs with the HUD configuration).

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MrGold

MrGold Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Depends on the game and the 980ti you have but a vega 56 is hardly an upgrade in some cases. PCars 2 might be one of those. I have similar system tp yours (until 2070 super arrives) and PCARS2 runs really well.

@Holi what settings are you trying to run? You should be able to comfortably run medium/high settings with 1.25 SS. Are you using Oculus API or SteamVR? Is performance similar in both?

11. Holi

I'm on WMR (which means Steam VR) and the performance is fairly similar from everything on low 1 SS up to mid/high settings at 2 SS, biggest difference is how much the fan spins up on the card, I haven't been doing a lot of testing for about a year though, I just remember the framerate being fairly similar doing fairly large quality adjustments either way and checking my loads/framerate with FPSVR. The performance is worse on the city tracks, pretty much anywhere there's a lot of infrastructure on screen, like going through the town part of Bannochbrae or entire South Beech Street circuit or Dirtfish, all of those are pretty bad, BRNO or Mount Fuji I get better performance at.

I'm not really interested in trying to solve PC2 performance issues anymore, I'm just hoping I won't have the same experience with AMS 2.

12. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

VR performance was quite good in pc2 and the lighting was exceptional. The only drawback I saw was shadow popping on trees. Once you see it, you’ll notice it forever but in the big picture it’s a small issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrGold

MrGold Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You might want to give it another go. Could've been a driver issue.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

That and the AA on shadows kicking-in too late are also easily visible on non-VR screens.

15. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As I got my Valve Index I tested PC2 in VR and this is very impressive. Ligthing, sharpness (with the sharpness setting introduced in one of the later patches) and the whole graphic experience.
    So my hopes are high for good performance from AMS 2 in VR.

ACC is going the other way and the VR performance is going down, so AMS 2 is now what I'm waiting for. In the meantime I will have a lot of fun with DR2 in VR.

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Seems kind of uncalled for and a bit precious! You must be fun to hang out with, or maybe that's the problem, you don't get to hang out with actual people.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Felipe husmann

Felipe husmann New Member

Too sad reiza abandoned AMS 1, it would be great if it had VR support even more now that AMS 2 will take longer to launch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. emiljensen2

emiljensen2 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Might be the case for most normal vr headsets, but for headsets with canted lenses like the pimax 5k/8k and index performance is quite a bit worse due to their game not having correct VR implementation that takes eye rotation into it when outputting VR view.
    Hopefully AMS2 has this addressed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

VR is a good choice but personaly i would be happy with triple monitors support.

20. Aaron Green

Aaron Green Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

From a personal stand point I agree. I don't get everyone saying how well optimized PC2 is. O had problems in menu where it would load up and then after about 20 seconds I could no longer press any buttons so the menu was sat there stuck. Eventually sheet trawling through steam forums I found a fix. I had to run it through Oculus and not steam - which seems a rather large gaff on their part, and something that not only me seemed to suffer with. Also performance as mentioned by you wasn't the best and I've got a 2060 paired with an Intel something or other (it's up to date, and up to the job basically). RRRE on they other hand? Now that's an amazing VR experience. I don't have to turn down any details, it runs buttery smooth and I'm running 1.8ss when I run RRRE so the clarity is great too. It does sound like it may be a driver issue.