Install AMS to new pc from Steam

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by NBrembo, Dec 1, 2016.

1. NBrembo

NBrembo Member

Before I setup new PC (win 7 64) I need to confirm the procedure to move AMS please?
    Backup existing user / driver profile (plr) from old pc, then install on new pc from Steam using existing account?

Do I need to uninstall via Steam or backup using Steam?
    Apologies if I missed a similar thread. Thanks guys.

2. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not a complete suggestion, particularly regarding the user profile, but this might help if your bandwidth is not too fast. You can backup your whole AMS folder and when your new PC is up and running, you can copy your backup into your new steam library. When you click Install, it will validate the files and recognize your files are already there (saving the time to download). Well, that's only if you want to save some time.

3. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've recently enjoyed a PC rebuild but following the outline of the above suggestions I'm left with an unusable AMS. My user profile seems to be lost as when I try to run the game it wants me to enter a new user name. After trying to get my old user working I decided to just create a new user, but even that will not work, as I type in a name press Enter but the screen stays as it is on the user entry screen. I copied all folders to their appropriate locations including the documents stuff but am left as described above. Anyone got any suggestions please?

4. GrimDad

GrimDad Member AMS2 Club Member

5. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

User profles are stored in 'My Documents\Automobilista'. If you still have the old windows filesystem available, copy the Automobilista directory from your old machine to your new machine's My Documents to maintain your settings and profiles.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I got a new PC a couple of months ago.

I moved AMS from the old to the new PC by installing AMS on the new PC via Steam while it was still installed on the old PC. Edit: So, I had AMS installed on two PC using the same Steam Account for a couple of days. I could still play AMS on the old PC (if I re-installed it again) as long as it is not running on the new PC at the same time. :)

Then I manually drag 'n' dropped all AMS related files and folders from the old PC to an external HDD and moved them from the HDD to the new PC.
    If you want to do it like this please make sure that you overwrite the "freshly created" files and folders by those from the old PC.

AMS has been running on my new PC without issues so far since I moved it.

By the way: I use Automobilista for mods and still have AMS Beta installed as a reference version (in case of any problems).

I know it's neither the easiest nor the fastest way but for me it was the best way to make sure that I do not have to start from the beginning again (settings, mods, ...).

7. neal

8. neal

Yes I already did the move by doing that but AMS wants me to create a new profile.

The only thing I can think of that may have upset this is that my old w10 user was my first name, but the new w10 user on the new build is called Owner so I copied everything into that folder instead. Are there hard coded paths involved here?

9. neal

I guess I did a similar but simpler thing to you as the old hard disk was installed in the new build as the second drive d: so it was simple to copy what I needed. I still have it all as I haven't wiped the old disk as yet. Other Steam titles that I have reinstalled this way e.g. Assetto Corsa went without a problem and works perfectly with all my content etc. Note I did at first get caught out by the 'freshly created' files but corrected this immediately but to no avail and no AMS. :(

10. Dave Stephenson

The windows account name shouldn't make a difference, the profile path is set by asking windows for the current users directory

11. Salvatore Sirignano

Salvatore Sirignano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have just today moved my install onto another PC with success, could be you have a windows 10 permission issue?
    Try the following please.
    Copy your good userdata folder into the main AMS directory (Not my documents!)

Set the relevant paths in the config.ini file to reflect this.. eg...
    LogDir=USERDATA\LOG\
    SaveDir=USERDATA\
    ControllerDir=USERDATA\CONTROLLER\
    Back the file up first though..

Run AMS as administrator. Right click - properties - compatibility - run as administrator - click apply.
    (AMS may not have permission to write to your game folder in win 10 otherwise)

Hopefully on launching it´ll detect your original .plr file and you can pick up where you left off...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Salvatore Sirignano

Sorry, double post...

It´s a lot easier to manage an installation if everything is in the same folder, that way you can have concurrent installations, or installations on different partitions, or back it up more cleanly to another drive.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. neal

Thankyou so much Salvatore, I'll give this a try in the morning. I've really been missing my AMS FFB.
    I'll come back and report how it went.

• Like Like x 1
  14. neal

sorry, please excuse me but I'm totally confused now. I already have UserData folders in the main AMS folder and inside of that the player folder with my name. Also the items above in the .ini file are already set with those exact values.
    Looking at the original installation it also has an UserData folder in the main AMS folder and inside of that is a folder for player1. :confused:
    tbh its a mess and looks like I won't be able to save my stuff and I have no idea what should be where. But thanks for trying to help, I'm hopeless with the ms crap.

15. Dave Stephenson

If that's the case then it appears your installation location is possibly in a location writable by your account (typically that means outside of C:\Program Files). I actually thought the default name was player rather than user1 from memory but I may be mistaken.

If you haven't already, try copying the profile directory from

<My Docs>/Automobilista/userdata/<profile name>
    to
    <AMS install dir>/UserData/<profile name>

16. Salvatore Sirignano

Sorry to hear that, I'm a bit confused as well! Running as administrator should make it write to and read from inside the AMS directory, and it should pick up your previous player files if they're in there. That's all I can think of I'm afraid..

17. neal

Hiya, I didn't get as far as running as Admin due to the confusion over the folders. As I still have my old hd in tact I think I'll wipe the reinstall and start again from scratch.

no my installation is on the Program Files(x86) Folder and yes the default is player1 AFAICT.
    So to redo the install, first copy over the main AMS folder, then get steam to reinstall AMS then do a verify? Is that a good start?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Salvatore Sirignano

Run it as admin please! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dave Stephenson

What OS are you on? That dir should not be writable to applications (unless running as admin) in most versions of Windows so in those instances it should be using the userdata from my documents. If you do go the running as admin route you will need to always run as admin or you may find the game reading the wrong location for profile when running as admin vs running unelevated.

20. neal

Windows 10
    Hmm I think there may be something in the running as admin. Altho not intended by me when I first upgraged from 7 to 10 I did not create a user IIRC and the pc would boot straight up without login. My memory is the same age as the rest of me so it's a bit sketchy and I can't remember for sure :rolleyes:. So the answer is could be, sorry to be so vague.

• Funny Funny x 1