(1.5.1+) AI "brake testing" when blue flagged

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Racing Heart, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Racing Heart

Racing Heart New Member

Hi everyone. I've been using All Cars+Tracks mode to test out multi-class endurance racing, in particular mixing the Metalmoro AJR and Boxer Cup cars together. The 1.5.1 patches were a great improvement to the AI drivers' race craft, but in the process, a new problem was introduced: the lapped AI cars will brake heavily while the "lapping" car is about to complete the pass.

The video below is a demonstration of the AI doing this:

The first example shows a single blue Boxer being lapped by a few AJRs: he brakes unnecessarily, as the AJR is way more than quick enough to pass cleanly under these circumstances.

The second example shows a rainbow Boxer being lapped around a shallow corner by the faster cars: despite being in a position where driving at normal pace would pose no harm, he still brakes anyway.

As a result, running mixed class races are slanted significantly in the player's favor, especially as a slower class car, as they don't have to slow down so drastically to let cars from the faster class/es by.

@Renato Simioni, could this be looked at by Reiza? Even if it were a quick-and-dirty toggle in the SRS to disable blue flag pull over behaviors altogether by setting BlueFlags in the SRS files to 0 (no flags) or 1 (advisory only), I believe it would still be a significant improvement over the new behavior introduced in 1.5.1 and onwards.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Racing Heart

Racing Heart New Member

A gentle bump for @Renato Simioni and company, don't mean to be pushy. Can record more videos and upload replays if need be, but I think the above post demonstrates the issue at hand well enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JERACERX

JERACERX Member AMS2 Club Member

Are there any plans to do further work on the AI's blue flag behavior before developed on the game ends? The current system of having lapped cars brake after they get passed cause issues when they're being passed by multiple cars because they come to a standstill on track, meaning other AI almost always crash into them. This makes multiclass racing with the AI practically impossible.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Philip00

Philip00 Member

I have experienced this too, I realized that they not lift off the gas in the straights but they make a masive break in the corners which can cause crash lot of times. I belive that the behaviour was ltitle better in some version before

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ruby

Ruby New Member

Still nothing on it, this has been an issue for endurance racing for over a year now. Would be great to have someone at Reiza to look at their own game instead of rF2.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

It should be pointed out that core development for AMS has wrapped for well over a year now. We do realize there are imperfections but at some point we have to concentrate efforts in what´s coming up next.

With that said there´s still content updates in development for it and we´re not inflexible to fixing whatever problems we can fix within a reasonable time frame. We´ll look into what we can do here.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Racing Heart

Racing Heart New Member

Thank you. Hopefully a definite solution can be found during that time, as I otherwise have really enjoyed AMS as my go-to offline racing platform. It's the only glaring blemish in an otherwise really solid sim in my opinion. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Racing Heart

Racing Heart New Member

A soft little poke just to confirm if this was one of the issues that was investigated~

9. JERACERX

It's pretty disappointing to say the least that this wasn't looked at for the final update, AMS' AI is some of my favorite in racing, and this issue plagues what is a great sim in every other respect.

10. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

It was looked into and it looked promising with this specific issue fixed. But it was reverted as it introduced its own set of problems...

11. JERACERX

Thanks for the reply, sucks that's what happened

12. Racing Heart

Racing Heart New Member

Damn, that's really unfortunate :(

13. Racing Heart

Racing Heart New Member

So is this as far as Reiza will be able to look into this? I'm still hoping there'll be a workaround or fix, but...

• Like Like x 3
  14. Philip00

Philip00 Member

15. SleekBeek

SleekBeek New Member AMS2 Club Member

Old news potentially, and I've not tested this thoroughly, but for anyone running mixed classes with significant speed differences, try going into the talent files of the slower class/es and reduce each AI driver courtesy rating to "00" (don't remove it, I think it might then default to whatever a standard value is). It seems to help a little bit.

I do find that the blue flag AI logic works extremely well for the formula cars and other single classes events (so well done for that Reiza), but can feel a bit off with multi class (where it should be the faster car's job to find a safe way around the slower car).

I've been running a small series with a mix of the GX390s Race and Rentals. The first couple of races I ran a couple of weeks ago had the Rentals constantly scrambling out of the way which rather dented the satisfaction of timing your speed to pass them without getting held up. Today I ran the third race, but with all Rental drivers' courtesy at zero, and the Rental drivers seemed to stick to their lines pretty much the whole time and don't massively brake test you while you're behind. When I passed them on a straight, once you get level with them I did notice that they still seem to dab their brakes very slightly, so it's not perfect still but a lot easier to have a clean race.

Maybe create two talent file folders for each series, one with standard courtesy (~90) and one with 00, in case you want to switch between running single and multi class races regularly using something like jsgme mod manager.

I had been trying to mess around with the series/PLR blue flag values a little, but that didn't seem to have a significant impact (although I'm not totally clear on what a couple of them do and what the impact should theoretically be of raising/lowering the numbers).

• Like Like x 3