Info required about Genstrings.......please

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Angus94, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Angus94

Angus94 New Member

hi guys
    i undersatnd how to set up genstrings for wheel colours etc, but can i set up another genstring on the same car for say several types of wings available for a car

like.....
    GenString=SLV // SLV - silver, BLK - black, GLD - gold, RED - red
    GenString1=WG1 // WG1=wing1, WG2=wing2, WG3=wing3, WG4=wing4 etc etc

2. Racing Heart

Racing Heart New Member

No. Each character/digit in the genstring of a car's VEH file represents a visual option or set of options in a car's GEN file.
    Here is an example from another mod:
    Code:
    MeshFile=porsche_rsr_wheel_style<1>.gmt
    The <1> means that the first character in the genstring of the VEH files will determine what style this car's wheel might be, in this example. If I put "1" in the genstring setting, then AMS will load porsche_rsr_wheel_style1.gmt.

Genstring options do not have to be strictly 1 digit per option:
    Code:
    MeshFile=porsche_rsr_wheel_style<123>.gmt
    In this example, <123> corresponds to the first three characters in the genstring setting. If I put "ABC" as the VEH genstring, it'll load porsche_rsr_wheel_styleABC.gmt.

You can also attach the same genstring "tag" to multiple MeshFiles:
    Code:
    MeshFile=porsche_rsr_splitter_style<1>.gmt
    MeshFile=porsche_rsr_wing_style<1>.gmt
    MeshFile=porsche_rsr_body_style<1>.gmt
    Genstrings can be between zero characters (no options at all) to nine characters (many options) in mods.

As far as I can tell, any alphanumeric character (0-9, A-Z) can be used as input for the genstring setting, so as long as the GMT file exists.