1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multiple controler profile

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jens F Mueller, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Jens F Mueller

Jens F Mueller New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello everyone,
    sorry if this question has been asked before, but is there anything known about whether it will be possible to create multiple controler profiles in AMS2 or even better to create car specific controler profiles like iRacing?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Is this for button mapping? AMS already allows the seamless use of h-pattern, sequential stick and paddle shifting as you jump from one type of car to another.

3. Jens F Mueller

Jens F Mueller New Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes for button mapping and just in case I´ll change my wheel ( diferent Fanatec Wheel`s)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Would be a great feature, but let's realize it is for a small minority so may not make it in v1.0 :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Marc Collins
    A small minority? are you talking about triple monitors support, as time goes by a lot are in VR and in triple monitors i think.

6. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

wrong thread? This is about controller profiles...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry, i was in the clouds :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Karaya2

Karaya2 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I like to chime in for the request to add custom controller profiles (button mappings) as well.

I have a lot of different Fanatec wheels, so I always choose the one that matches the car I am driving as close as possible. Some have a lot of buttons, others none and I have to rely on my button boxes instead to have the most used functions within reach. Also, especially in VR, it feels very weird to drive with a wheel that does not match the one I see in front of me.

Another reason for me, is during YouTube community online races, where the qualy is relatively short, it is crucial to get the job of changing the controller profile done quickly, so I get a slot on the server and have enough time to do a good qualy lap. Especially in a sim like AMS2 with a lot of variation in vehicles, this is a crucial feature for me. In fact, the lack of custom controller profiles is a huge minus in PCars 2 for me for this very reason and the fact that the AMS2 beta (currently) lets you not enter the settings while one track, makes it not better.

As reference, ACC does this quiet good, besides the fact that you can't bind it to a specific car and must load it manually. AC's Content Manager has by far the best implementation for this, because you can specify which profile should be loaded depending on the car you drive. I am not into iRenting, so idk about that :p

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Stefano Villani

Stefano Villani New Member AMS2 Club Member

very important thing! I have different thrustmasters wheels and avery one has a different button maps. I wouldn't like to change them manually every time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Agreed; iRacing has included this feature for about a decade, and all three shifting modes (H-shifter, sequential, and paddles) have been commercially available at least since 2006 with the Logitech G25. Custom shifter presets for each vehicle should have been standard issue in ANY aspiring driving simulation well before 2020. Moreover sequential/paddles should never be combined into a single global setting within any serious driving sim. This feature, along with car-specific FFB settings, are the type of details that will help make AMS2 stand out to the dedicated sim racing crowd.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  11. John Caetano

John Caetano Member

Not a small minority...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I agree too. But not for button mapping. Some cars are very twitchy for me (eg karts) and need a lower sensitivity than 50. I m sure other cars too

13. Obizzz

Obizzz Member

iRacing is the only sim that does this in a seamless way without having to manually load different profiles per car. Just tick that box and change what you need. It can even keep different calibration data for different cars which means I can set up my brake to realistic values depending on the car.

iRacing does so many things right that it’s sad to see they get a few very important things wrong :(

For other sims changing profiles is a bit of a hassle so I just map stuff to the keyboard and use Joy2key to make duplicate mappings across my steering wheels, sequential shifter etc.

Not sure how much Reiza can or wants to change about how these things work in the engine but some sort of saveable profiles would be nice as well as being able to tweak FFB strength per car.

I wish all sims had mappings for the common shifter types and that it would work automagically correct depending on the car you’re driving. By that I mean separating sequential paddles and stick as two different mappings plus h-shifter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. johndough247

johndough247 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Bumping this back up to the top as this should be a priority (and it's a step backwards since it was a feature in AMS1). The sim racing landscape has changed and now, more than ever before, more people have wheelbases that have interchangeable steering wheels, from the fanatec and thrustmaster offerings to all the Direct Drive guys...and those wheels most times have buttons mapped differently. We need different profiles that will not only change button assignments, but also steering wheel/pedals/device assignments, deadzones and FFB settings. Having to remap with each wheel swap gets frustrating, and frustrated gamers tend to move on to other games that work seemlessly (I'm pretty sure AMS2 is the only current sim that doesn't allow multiple controller profiles), thus why I believe it's a priority.

For example, If you're on a direct drive (non-Fanatec) wheel: you might one day use a wheel that has no buttons, but when you decide to use a wheel with buttons and plug it in, it can change the order of controllers, so instead of your direct drive motor showing up as controller #1, it might get bumped to #2 and your pedals get bumped to #3 which means you have to reassign those devices every time. Also, depending on your wheel size and/or the car used, FFB might need to be fine-tuned, as smaller wheels need less FFB than the larger ones.

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. TSP

TSP New Member

This title really needs multiple controller profile saving. I don't play AMS2 often because it lacks that one cruical feature.

Is this even on Reiza radar? Its really important now more then ever. Going from a GT3 car to a 90s GT1 car it would be nice if I didn't have to go back into settings and rebind my SQ shifter. It would be nice in general as button layouts aren't the same from wheel to wheel.

And for anyone trying to argue that a feature like this isn't very important or doesn't require immediate attention as its a request of the sim racing minority.....just google "sim rigs" and you'll see how many people are take their sim racing hardware setups very seriously. This feature is nothing new. Every title has it except pcars. hmm...???

• Like Like x 1
  16. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

It would be pretty easy to make a simple batch file that changes the default controller file(s) to the one that is mapped/calibrated to the wheel/pedal combi you want to use.
    I have used this myself when I was testing which calibration of several was optimal for me.

ByTheWay: The only (slightly) downside of this is that you have to decide outside(before) the game start which controller to use.;)

controller settings.png

17. Danny Crescent

Danny Crescent New Member

Adding my name to the list. This is a rather large issue for those of us with different wheels. Remapping after every wheel change is not something we should be doing in 2021, or 2018 for that matter.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Breeker

Breeker New Member

How does this work?

19. Breeker

Breeker New Member

Sorted it out: via C:\Users\Gebruiker\Documents\Automobilista 2\savegame\195081031\automobilista 2\profiles backup the default.controllersettings.v1.03.sav file after setting the specific wheel configurations. Switch between profiles for every individual wheel, before opening AMS2. Would be great if this could be added ingame like most other sims.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

Can this be implemented,? wasn't expecting this ,when changing the Fanatec wheel rim from GT3 to Formula, all the button configs could not be profiled and saved. Please Allow multiple custom controller profiles.
    I was just starting to Enjoy AMS2 as now the default DD1 FFB is better than ACC, all my other sims have multiple controller profile saves. I hope Riezer implement this.

Edit due to sounding like a arrogant comment.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4