1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slightly Mad Studios acquired by Codemasters

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by VirtuaIceMan, Nov 28, 2019.

1. VirtuaIceMan

VirtuaIceMan New Member AMS2 Club Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. RWB FxUK

RWB FxUK Member AMS2 Club Member

I would have thought the deal was done/signed a while back now, so codies would have bought sms with that deal/contract as is. But obviously that's just me taking a wild stab in the dark.

3. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Yep - whoever owns SMS or its tech doesnt change the existing licensing agreement, so on the surface it doesn´t really affect AMS2.

It is an exciting development though for both companies and for racing games in general, looking forward to see what comes of it :)

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Cos

Cos New Member

What about the possibility of Codies suing to require what they might perceive as there IP?

5. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

you say, "it doesn´t really affect AMS2" in what context?

6. JoeMoore

JoeMoore New Member AMS2 Club Member

[QUOTE="so on the surface it doesn´t really affect AMS2.
    [/QUOTE]

doesn’t—-( REALLY )——affect AMS2

I would have preferred a more positive response like ( doesn’t affect AMS2 at all , we have a concrete contract with Slightly Mad Studios .
    :)

7. Renato Simioni

A company acquiring another doesnt interfer with an existing licensing agreement for the latter’s IP, such deals are assessed during due diligence and rolled up with the other assets and liabilities of the company being bought.

As far as AMS2 goes SMS side of the deal has long been fulfilled, it´s now fully up to us to develop and do business with AMS2 as we see fit (so long of course as we continue to live up to our side of the deal and respect its boundaries).

Naturally SMS has been a kind and supportive partner to us and such a fundamental change may have an impact in that collaboration moving forward - maybe they´ll be a bit less available, maybe we will have even a closer collaboration and maybe it won´t change much at all. Hence whatever the case it doesn´t "really" change things for AMS2 :)

Naturally we do have a solid contract, and there´s no reason to think Codies will see it any less positively than SMS did :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 24
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Cos

Cos New Member

Thanks for the feedback, the buzz for AMS2 is immense in RWB. Looking forward to release day ;)

9. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So............are Reiza next on Codies 'Hit List' of companies to purchase? AMS2 Uber funding here we come! ;-)

10. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Please. No,! I've boycotted conmasters after their Dr2 dlc tactics.

Just More games I won't buy Now!

But just glad it doesn't effect ams2. Please reiza don't sell out to these idiots. I know that sounds a tad immature but I've really had enough of them and thier games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Guys, remember the AMS2 game engine is property of SMS, not of Reiza. Also SMS are developing a "hollywood blockbuster" title which should be released soon (I would expect on May 2019, together with the new Fast & Furious movie) and Codemasters (after the huge flop of GRID 2019) must be expecting some serious cash flow from that. I am pretty sure Reiza is "safe" :)

12. Helleno

Helleno Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know details about what was signed but I really hope Reiza continue to have updates for the engine. If no, I hope they can evolve the engine by themselves or make modifications. As was said by the big boss, ASM2 looks safe for now. But, looking to the future, evolving the game across the years, maybe some things at the engine will have to be fixed or improved. In the same hand, looking even forward, I hope Code be happy to continue this partnership to a sequel of what will become the new standard in hardcore racing simulation (so, Reiza don't need to look for a change at the engine in the future) ;). All we can have is hope and thrust in Renato's words. Can't wait for march, anyway.

13. Renato Simioni

We do have the source code to continue developing the engine over AMS2 life cycle.

It´s also worth clarifying we were not supposed to get all developments SMS were making to the engine since PCars2 - this is not like licensing Unreal or Unity which are businesses dedicated to licensing technology to 3rd parties and thus supply all licensees with the latest developments, when licensing from a studio like ISI or SMS one typically gets the codebase at a given stage and takes it on its own separate tangent, we are not entitled to their continuing development from that point onwards and nor in fact are they to ours, unless an additional agreement is made for these developments.

The exception here was that SMS had been kind to supply us bits of code to get us some specific improvements done beyond PCars2, but this was always going to be limited irrespective of the sale.

• Like Like x 19
    • Informative Informative x 11
  14. RWB FxUK

RWB FxUK Member AMS2 Club Member

The hype train is still full steam ahead :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Helleno

Helleno Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Great! Thank you for the information, Renato! :hurrayreiza:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I was nearly crying. Haha. Ah, man. I am happy this won't affect AMS2 greatly. Keep it up.

I am now wondering what Codies is gonna do. They bought two studio with race-history, so..Bet Codies know that are lightyears behind Kunos, Reiza, S397 and Raceroom. So they buying up studio's.

Dirt Rally was an amazing masterpiece of Paul Coleman & Co. Dirt 4 and DR 2 are games I don't wanna talk bout. Specially the weird-DLC policy of Codies.

Anyway.. Take your time with AMS2. Better a finished game than a unfinished game with lots of bugs / unbalances.

17. Apolo27

Apolo27 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I was hoping that SMS would cede some car licenses or PC2 circuits to AMS2 due to the good environment between SMS and Reiza ... now I have no hope, knowing codemaster and his company policies
    Edit: P. D: I have nothing against codemaster, I like his games but not his policies

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure you can't cede a car or track license to another developer/game even if you wanted to.

19. Apolo27

Apolo27 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Probably, but dreaming is free ...xD

20. Tank621

Tank621 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, There is no way Reiza could hop over to SMS and borrow their licenses, pretty sure that would lead to a lawsuit from most license holders

Licenses concern specified content in specified game(s), they do NOT allow any car a manufacturer has made, and are by no means permanent