Automobilista bug report thread (Please read the opening post)

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

@Marc Collins Will try in a few hours. It's wasn't really fun. Countless of restarts and such. However, I managed to win the first race. Crashed the second race, cause I managed to get in neutral and wrecked. :D But both races my car was damaged, cause AI not giving space. They are very resolute that they can overtake, even it's dangerous in real life.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Generally that is not a problem with AI in AMS--if not the best, tied for the best in any sim.

So, there are explanations that one particular track is bad (and it can be for certain technical reasons, but it would affect all/most cars). Or, one particular car is bad (which it can be for technical reasons, but it would happen at all/most tracks). Or, you have a problem with the AI in general, or just with one (or more) track(s) or just with one (or more) car(s).

Just trying to figure-out what the situation is because we have all been in the situation were we are convinced there is a problem with the AI or a track or a car, but then suddenly we learn and the problem disappears ;)

However, because real technical problems occur, I am not asking you to test anything, but just to confirm that in general at 100% strength you can race with the AI at the majority of tracks and with several different cars. If it is specific to this track, then others of us can test the same scenario. But if you have problems in general, then there is no point in others replicating this car and track combination (or for Reiza to investigate for that matter).

The AI is not perfect in AMS and never will be, but there are lots of specific issues that have been resolved. The chicane (or other issues) at Adelaide may be one of those that can or cannot be resolved, but before trying, we have to establish it is a unique problem.

3. Marius H

@Marc Collins Great read. I think it's because Adelaide is so narrow compared to the tracks in the UK for example. Perhaps they also lack a bit the awareness real people have. Well, then. I've no problems at the other tracks. Only that rolling starts and standing starts aren't really working depending on kind of corners said track has.

Anyway. VIR South gonna be harsh with that blind corner with the drop :O

4. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There is indeed a problem but its on another department.
    A common flaw is that AI want at any cost to pass the player, even if that means making the player go eat some grass or sand or get wrecked. the only thing to be safe is to start last and just folow the AI :D
    They are very agressive but this is hardcoded so you have to deal with it :confused:
    Sorry if that has little to do with Lvysaur's problem but that reminded me this commonly known issue.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Marc Collins

I do not find that to be true in general, though certainly some narrow places are problem zones--as they are in the corresponding real races, too!

With @Ivysaur's Low Aggression setting, there especially should be no issues in general. I use High, even for open wheelers, and do not find that they are "overly-aggressive." What does happen all the time is that I am incompetent at a various track or with a certain car and am racing the AI at 100% when my skill is (temporarily I hope) much below that level. Inevitably I get in the way of an AI that even with their razor-sharp senses can't avoid clobbering me. Reply review shows who was at fault, however ego-bruising it usually is to see it ;)

6. Silvano

I partialy agree with you Marc, a few things that i saw in offline races (mostly with mods i must say) are a bit wierd:

- the first lap AI is faster around witch is not very realistic, a few laps later they slow down.
    - when you pass one car and then get stuck a bit behind the rest of the pack, they want at any cost to pass you again, witch is realistic yes but at any cost? and even on part where no human would do it?
    - looking at the times is to note that AI are kind of inconsistant with differences of more than 10 seconds at the most.
    - just did a race and noticed some AI that i had passed the lap before get some kind of a boost and are in a few laps behind me, overtaking me but few laps later they are much slower so i pass them again.
    - did you ever noticed AI when about to overtake you, are bumping a bit on your left or right backend?
    - i tried with all steps of agression and on max its really agressive, of course AI are very complex with all the variable and physics differences, so not easy to test them with in mind different models and different tracks are giving all kind of results.
    - on most tracks the speed of AI in corners and in straight are not on par with me, they take easy corners too slow and difficult ones very fast (maybe its my driving that sucks :rolleyes:)

i must make more test with vanila content though to see those points, i maybe totaly wrong :D
    Not a alien myself but i am very consistant in lap time and when i know the track by heart, i can go on par with them at around 100, but the flaw is they fluctuate much and on most tracks there are segments where they are very fast and other segments and corners they are very slow witch make it difficult to have a good flow.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  7. Silvano

Let me add this, even with some flaws with AI, AMS is the best motorsport simulation among all others, while i have driven some good ones like RaceRoom, ACC and rFactor2, i am in AMS most of my free time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Marc Collins

As has been mentioned a zillion times, the AI only works properly when programmed properly. We know the Reiza content has been (although even then there could be small oversights or problem areas). And no AI will be perfect--but it is getting closer and closer to plausible.

So, if you like to use modded content (cars or tracks), do not bother to complain about the AI behaviour until you have become an expert at how it works on the stock Reiza content because only then can you distinguish what part of the problem is the mod versus the base AI quality. It sucks that we cannot count on modded content to be good offline, but you will realize why so many mods are advertised for online use only (or at least only tailored for that) :(

9. Silvano

Yes AI development goes further and further, so we can hope for some big changes in near futur.
    As info, i am NOT complaining but just giving some informations to all the offliners on moded cars and tracks.
    You talk about base AI quality, i have been driving a lot also with Reiza content and the AI have the same agressiv behavior to a certain extend, but Reiza did a tremendous good job with AI thats for sure, whatever the base AI quality of moded cars is nearly the same base as original content i guess (from my experience), and the mods have differencies in the hdv files.
    i have been driving race cars for several years on different french tracks so i know what i am talking about. Try to race (real life) in a bunch of agressiv opponents and you will notice they will NOT try at any cost to throw you off the track, if they can avoid it, and if they do, they probably go off track too, witch is not the case with AI.
    And yes some mods (EECGT3) to name one, are really as good as original content.
    i am working and experimenting on AI behaviour since some years (i started with Simbin GTR2) as i wish to be able to make them better (too bad most of the AIW files are hidden and so are the hdv files in AMS original content) my primary goal is to make them less agressiv for a start and secondairy to edit speed values as they will be different from one driver to another, depending of the driving style.
    i am working on that with a friend coder (to make a simple java applet in 3d where user can define the sectors where the AI sucks with speed and edit those values), doing it on moded cars and tracks is better as they have hdv files and AIW files for editing speed values.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  10. Silvano

You are right, most of what you point out has to do with AI not having the right speed in corners and sometimes in straight and being too agressiv to be in front of you.
    About slipstream, you need to be behind the AI very near but dont expect to have slipstream in slow parts of the track or in slow corners. you slipstream mostly in long straight.
    About low fuel, i was not aware of that, is to be tested.
    About AI not respecting AI line has to do with the "fast line" witch is sometimes poorly done by creators of tracks.
    About water boiling...how about making a cup of tea out of it? :rolleyes: no but seriously, you can raise the radiator size in the setup.
    About AI crashing into player at standing start, its a common flaw but it has been fixed a bit by Reiza. personaly i allways use rolling start to avoid that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I had a CTD again when watching instant replay after race.
    Last entry in trace is "tire_manager 1163: Tire brand doesn't have compound index -1" as always when I have a CTD.
    This time with Formula Extreme, tire limit was set on 7, race weekend with 1 practice, 1 quali, 1 warm up and 1 race at Imola 2018

Attached Files:

12. Silvano

I did a race with same config as you had, trying to recreate the issue and after finish line going back to pit, i had a CTD.

13. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Did you have a "compound index -1 "error, too?
    It seems that it only happens with formula cars, especially with V10, Reiza, Extreme.
    With other cars I normaly don't have this issue.

14. Marc Collins

I know there are replies after this one, but I wanted to report back that I finally got around to trying a P, Q and Race with the 620R at Adelaide to see if I could replicate this problem with the chicane or other narrow areas. The answer is no--I had perfectly normal races and race starts (I reset several times to test). I started middle-back of the pack (of 20) so I wouldn't have an effect on the first dozen or more cars. The AI (on "High" @ 100%) were perfectly well behaved.

15. Marius H

@Marc Collins Even no crashfest with fast rolling start? Can't imagine. :O Perhaps my AMS folder in documents is too old. It's from 2016. I probably could back up Reiza27 and the controller.ini and then delete everthing and copy the 2 files back into the new folder.

I know the AI numbers like grip and such are somewhere stored in the player.ini or so. Also doing a reinstall of the game.

Today is new race-day. Imola is on the planning!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  16. Silvano

No i didnt have that error, it just throw me on desktop without notice.

17. Silvano

Sometimes its a good idea to make a new profile if things get wierd, dont forget to backup your controller files though ;)

18. Marc Collins

First off, I never use anything but the default start at tracks (that's a setting). So in this case it is a rolling start. I tried using the space bar and not using it to bypass the safety car phase. Is using the space bar to teleport you to just ahead of the last corner the same as a fast rolling start? I am not 100% sure, but I think so. It made no difference during my tests.

Agree with @Silvano that a new profile is worth a try. Just backup your old one so if the new one doesn't make a difference you can just revert to it.

I would also try the different start types at Adelaide in case that makes a difference at your end. I was expecting a standing start--maybe we should also try that.

EDIT: I did and it worked perfectly as well. I don't want this to sound contrarian, but I am actually shocked at how well the AI behaves at Adelaide. There are so many butt-clenching spots on that very tricky track and the AI handles them all with aplomb. I managed to get through the lap 1 first chicane without a visible scratch (yellow damage marker) multiple times. So many times it looks like there is going to be a pile-up and the AI manage to sort themselves out just in the nick of time.

I hope a new profile or something helps you because clearly something is messed-up at your end.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  19. Silvano

@Marc Collins
    i would like to try out Adelaide with the same car/config combo you had, if you have a bit of time to give your config combo, would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Marc Collins

I just used @Ivysaur's problem combination. Caterham 620R at Adelaide, and I used 19 AI at 100% and High.