2 Step verification

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Bull Shark, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Hi Team,

Somehow my 2 step verification does not work anymore. (to logon to the forum) I use the google authenticator but the displayed code is wrong. Tried it several times without luck. I now used my backup code to gain access.
    Any idea what goes wrong? The login name I use is correct, the password as well. Checked this several times as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Two factor auth tokens are time based if there is too big a drift between your device and the server it can fall outside the window. I updated one of the servers already this week to use ntp as the hardware clock seemed to be drifting. Sorted this one now and shouldn't be an issue again.

Don't forget to generate a new backup code if the one you used is the only one you have. (sorry I don't recall if it gives multiple in this implementation or not)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Thanks. I suppose that could be the problem indeed.

As for the backup code, I have 8 or 12 codes I believe. One used now so I should be ok. I stored a new one in my 1Password app just to be sure.

One question, what If I lost my backup code? Can My account be restored without a code ? if so, what do I need to do?

4. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I wouldn't advise losing the codes :). I do use 1password too but I always keep some codes hard-copy. In theory I can always undo it with skulduggery but the forum software does not provide any mechanism to undo 2fa on an account natively. It would be a notable break in the trust it provides.

• Agree Agree x 1