Which wheel is best?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Aaron Green, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Aaron Green

Aaron Green Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Evening all,

I've recently had to downgrade from a full fanatec setup to pay for a poorly dog and vet bills, but my question is this -

I still want to race but obviously not to the same extreme of spending thousands but merely hundreds of £££££. With that in mind, which is better for AMS? G29 or T300rs GT? Which has better FFB? I've heard horror stories of thrustmaster and reliability issues. Also I've looked through the forums here and seen that ALOT of racers are experiencing issues with their G29's on AMS.

Anyone have an opinion? The FFB for G29 (from what has been said it's vague and light), and the T300 slightly more detailed? Is this so? And does T300 FFB fade over prolonged use?

Thanks

2. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I love my G29 - I think its brilliant value for money - but if you are used to a Fanatec and can afford a T300 (its much more expensive than a G29) I think that's the best choice, as it provides stronger, smoother ffb - closer to what you are used to. Reliability does definitely seem patchy but presumably most are OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yea a t300 or even if money tight pick up a dfgt great little wheel

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I would go for a T300. The pedals are okish. I would opt for CSL Elite loadcell instead. Then you've a good low-mid tier bundle.

Would never advice for a G29, cause it's gear driven and it's outdated technology. It rattles as crazy and makes load of noise. The shifter isn't even in the bundle. If you want a G29. I would look for a G25/G27 bundle instead. Same technology and it will have a shifter included. You can mod the pedals with GTeye springs (if it still exists)

Another advice is just to wait a year and bulk up the money and buy all the Fanatec stuff again. Because everything else than Fanatec just feels cheap, wrong and bad. Either new or used, so you can play break-even. (However, warranty is non-transferable or so. Really weird, because in Europe warranty is always transferable)

• Like Like x 1
  5. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Gears are far from outdated technology. Indeed real cars use gears not belts for steering. I would also point out that technologies have price points. At the moment there are no entry level wheels that don't use gears. Mid range wheels use belts. Top of the range use direct drive. The introduction of direct drive wheels doesn't make belt drives outdated technology, any more than the introduction of belt drive wheels makes gear drive wheels outdated.

Not in my experience. You can't hear the wheel in normal use and it only rattles in extreme circumstances - say in a rally sim on rough terrain. I've just driven the Boxer around Oulton in AMS and experienced no rattling.

The shifter isn't included in the T300 bundle either. Sometimes you can get the G29 shifter as part of the bundle - I bought mine for £150 from Currys/PC World and it came with a shifter. I have also seen Amazon sell the shifter as part of the bundle but they don't currently.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aaron Green

Aaron Green Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok guys, well thank you all very much for the input. I made my choice and I got the T300rs GT. The pedals swung me on the end with the new plates. Hopefully attaching the conical mod is not beyond me - from what I've read on Reddit the black screw supplied is insufficient to get the job done. Which is nice of TM! Thanks again all.

• Like Like x 1