Retrolux Automobilista Reshade Preview

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Retrolux, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

A message came on my screen advising to update Reshade to the current version but I ran into this error when installing the latest Reshade.
    upload_2020-2-9_16-8-50.png

2. Retrolux

Retrolux Member AMS2 Club Member

@Wayne Whitmore you dont need to edit any ini file. These path are commented out and are just working path i use when i work on the preset. Just follow the install instructions from the readme.

Also do not update reshade manually as it would not work as the preset uses another file structure than usual to make it easy to install. Just wait until I update the preset for you. :)

3. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

ok thanks for the reply.

4. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have tested the latest version on RD but there are several problem:

- SGSS is definitely not applied (it is evident on a track but also in the showroom), whether I set your recommended value flags 0x00400000 or the the value I have always used until now (0x00000040) and that I know works.
    No SGSS is no go as it provides a nearly perfect AA picture

- the reshade preset (without performance mode) puts a super high load on my GTX 1080TI which goes from maybe 30% usage to close to 100% (RTSS OSD numbers), playing at 4K maxed out with a fps limit set to 57 fps with RTSS. With performance mode, usage is way lower but significant. And enabling the additional AA shader puts even more load on the GPU using 100% CPU usage with fps tanking to the 50's.

- while in driving mode, the shortcut keys using PgUp/PgDn/END/HOME conflict with the game use of these keys to control cameras and/or views

5. Retrolux

Thanks for your feedback

SGSS works since it was very important for me that it is properly applied. I put in a lot of hours and comparison screenshots to ensure it works. Did you follow the install and AA instructions carefully? I updated it with a screenshot for it to be more easier to understand.

Sadly all the visual adjustments come with a price. Therefore I put in a performance mode that keep the essentials activated and an option to disable the extra AA shader for weaker systems or when you use very high resolutions with SGSAA enabled. I already tried to tweak the shaders as good as possible so that they still look good without being to heavy on the system. I might find some more improvements on that end in the future version.

Yeah that's annoying and can not be avoided since AMS ignores if CTRL is pressed or not. So I put the hotkeys to buttons that are not configured by AMS per default to avoid this issue.
    There might be better hotkeys for it but a lot of keys are in use by AMS :)

Let me know if you have ideas to improve the preset.

PS: Just updated the preset to version 0.9.9

6. bobbie424242

After more testing, it does work but only if AMS is launched in (fullscreen) windowed mode, which is the recommended setting for NVIDIA.
    I have it set to non-windowed (eg fullscreen exclusive) and in that mode reshade makes SGSS inoperant for some reason. AA compat flags otherwise work fine in that mode, without reshade.
    Unfortunately, I get micro stutter in windowed mode and not in fullscreen exclusive .

Yes I understand, although I did not expect the hit to be this big. The full mode puts too high of a load on my system (if its GPU usage grows linear to the number of pixel, 4K surely doesn't help!) but the performance mode is OK and usable. Now, if only I can fix the micro-stutter in windowed mode...

Great job on this though, as it very nice and does not denature Reiza art choices and aesthetics (which I really like) regarding coloring.

7. Retrolux

Hmm that might be an windows 10 issue. For me it works on windowed mode and in native full screen. I am still on windows 7 and will update soon, so I can work on a fix or workaround for that.

Yeah going to 4K has a huge impact since the pixel count gets crazy high and all the post shaders are pixel shaders. Every pixel count ;)

8. bobbie424242

Yes probably a win10 issue or maybe driver issue. I have tried to get rid of micro-stutter in windowed mode trying various things, to no avail. Anyway, using the new version you posted, GPU usage is crazy high: about 90% (from 30%) and that's disabling the AA shader (otherwise I hit 100% and go below 60 fps). Each shader seems to take 5-15%. So I will have to stick with no reshade, it is just too costly on my setup.

9. Wexodius

Wexodius Member AMS2 Club Member

@bobbie424242
    Maybe try running AMS in Windows 7 compatibility mode and see if it improves your issue with the micro-stutter. Not sure if it'll help but I guess it's worth a try.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Win 10 does change the whole full screen vs. windowed mode behaviour of NVIDIA drivers (not sure about AMD). Highly irritating, but it appears the gaming community has given-up trying to change it back. NVIDIA is sure not trying.

I did not change my AMS screen mode from borderless windowed and these shaders with SGSS worked perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marc Collins

By the way, has the latest version addressed any of the shadows issues? There are some cars (from Reiza as well as modders) where the cockpit view windscreen transparency causes multiple issues.

12. Retrolux

Ohh I dont know about shadow issues. Can you show me screenshots or explain where i can check it out in the game?

13. Marc Collins

You mentioned issues in your descriptions--with smoke/dust particles. I have noticed several car and track combinations that exhibit problems that appear as flashing (on and off) shadows in the cockpit. The easiest way to see it is in the transition from the shadows of the pit garage out into the light of the pit lane using a closed cockpit (not an open wheeler) car.

I am sure anyone using cockpit view will notice it right away. It will not show-up in external camera views.

If you have any difficulty (or you already use cockpit view exclusively so would have seen by now), I will go back and test and provide specific examples. The MR18 is one for sure. Hopefully others here will also report. Not sure what would be different for me, but maybe it's not a universal problem?

14. Retrolux

@Marc Collins
    Sounds like that the depth buffer detection is having issues causing the ambient occlusion stay static on the screen. It did not encounter these with the new version yet. But some older version had this issue.

Can you try if you can reproduce them again?

15. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

sorry for derailing from main topic but seems you have the skills to give a look at that...have you ever considered working with ENB instead of Reshare or SweetFX?
    It should have the same set of features but less heavy on gpu....

16. Retrolux

@DaVeX No worries ;)

I choose reshade because its the most flexible post shader package available. WYSIWYG editor with the ability to directly write shader code while you are in the game tweaking the look. The performance is all based on the shaders that you use. Some are heavy on cpu & gpu while others are even faster than sweetfx.
    The main color correction and brightness curve in this preset is all done in a LUT (lookup table). So basically it does a lot of the shader work from sweetfx into a basic texture lookup, which is really fast. The good thing is that you can also do most of your corrections in photoshop with screenshots from many different tracks and car colors to build a color scheme that can be used universally in Automobilista.
    What reshade also offers is access to the depth buffer that enables the possiblity to a wide range of effects that would no be possible with sweetfx. (Ambient Occlusion)
    I think ENB has the ability but I was not fond of it when I tried to tweak it for Richard Burns Rally. But using ambient occlusion on ENB would also be heavy on your system.

I hope this explains it :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  17. Marc Collins

I think you are right. I did not test extensively, but no sign of the closed cockpit windscreen-induced flickering so far using 0.9.9.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Retrolux

Updated the preset to V 1.0.0:
    • Updated Reshade to version 4.7.0, which will improve performance.
    • Fixed AmbientLight adaptation was not working correctly

Can as well be used in fullscreen on windows 10 with the right compablility bit to avoid micro stutters caused by the windowed mode. (See Readme for details)

Link:
    Retrolux Reshade Automobilista