1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti aliasing

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Nov 22, 2019.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I've watched the videos released by Reiza showing AMS 2 in action and the overall feel seems great, it looks like it has taken AMS to the next level but I can see a visual issue (to me) that has plagued the pC Madness engine, bad anti aliasing and it looks the same in AMS 2 :(
    I recently went back to AC the first one and was going though all the new settings that Content Manager offers and I saw a Temporal AA option, considering I've always had issues with AC's AA I was excited to see if this offered any improvement. To my surprise this cleaned up every bit of aliasing in AC giving it such a great clean and crisp image.
    So to cut to the chase, can Reiza please implement Temporal Anti aliasing into AMS2 please?

TLDR: Madness engine AA sucks so can we please get a Temporal AA option in AMS2?

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I won't specify exactly what is required to improve the AA, but I agree with the assessment of PC 2 AA being sub-par. It's the (lack of) AA on shadows that is most noticeable to me. I am sure Reiza will follow the same philosophy as with AMS and provide excellent high-quality visuals options unburdened by console parity or other issues, knowing that a few racers will want to sacrifice some FPS for the best visual quality.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Kolysion

Kolysion BANNED BANNED

is it improved, or is it like pCars 2 ? I have replayed with pCars 2, and after ACC, it's a big NO WAY.

4. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Really?
    I still like Pcars much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. 2ndLastJedi

I found that what didnt work at 4k pC2 works at 1080p triples !!
    In nVidia Inspector i set
    AA mode to Enhance
    AA transparency MS to Enable
    MFAA On
    FXAA On
    TF Neg LOD Bios Clamp TF Quality High quality

and pC2 AA in game to MSAA High and it actually looks pretty good , even Long Beach with all the fences looks rather okay . I have documented these settings and will be trying it in AMS 2 first thing is it looks bad out of the box .

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bull Shark

Really?
    Nice... gonna check this tomorrow :D

7. Bull Shark

Well on my 7680x1440 res it does look awesome but even with Vsync on, my screen show tearing...

edit.. strange. Even without those settings I see bad performance in Pcars.. something is wrong atm.

8. 2ndLastJedi

I cant max it out at 5838x1080 so you will need to find some optomized settings at your resolution. I had to play with track detail, reflections and particles from memory.

9. Bull Shark

I can’t get it right on my current res. Thinking of buying 3x a 1080p 144 Hz screens instead of 1440p I currently have. This is cheaper than buying a 2080ti gfx card. :D

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. 2ndLastJedi

Can't you just run at 1080p and turn sharpening up?
    I definitely wouldn't be buying a 2080ti now at the end of this cycle! Next gen cards will be here soon enough and then I'd be thinking of the upgrade. Possible 2080ti cheaper or $2000 :rolleyes: 3080ti (hopefully nVidia wont do that price but I wouldn't be surprised).
    Keep running the 1440p screens though and save that money as 1440p is the better option just need to make little compromises till new GPU's come.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bull Shark

Yeah you probably right. It looks great in 1440p. I just have to tone down some settings. Will play some more. the problem with 1080p on a 1440p screen is that it looks very coarse. :(
    but as you said, perhaps play some with inspector.

R3E looks stunning on 1440p and runs with a steady 60fps with most settings on max. F1 2019 looks awesome on 1440p with settings set to high/med and still a steady 60fps. Pcars looks great as well but I have to lower the settings to mid and some low to maintain 60fps.
    With all the games is the start of the race the biggest FPS eater. There I see almost always a little dip in fps. After the first corner it mostly shows 60fps again.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 2ndLastJedi

I would have got 1440p monitors as well if I hadn't already done the VR struggle, that killed me because of all the tweaking trying to get visual quality vs performance and that's why I sold my Rift. I just wanted something u could pretty well just max and forget and 1080p x 3 is pretty close to that other than ACC but that worked out pretty easy and still pretty high settings and a solid 60.
    The CPU bottleneck surprised me a bit though as something I didn't even consider but that's a limitation of current tech sadly because the single core is the issue in R3E and even rF2 I've noticed GPU usage drop and stutters occur but that was easy to solve by not running 44 Ai ;) Aris from Kunos said to me that my 7700k isn't an issue in ACC because it's not using more than 5 cores and 8 threads is enough for 30 Ai :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bull Shark

I bought 2 extra 1440p screens because I already had one. At the time It was cheaper to buy two more 1440p than 3 new 1080p screens. Otherwise I would have bought 3 1080p screens.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

I only paid $540 aud for my 3 monitors. And as I've been clearly able to see, the 60Hz isn't a problem as even R3E is capped to 60fps thanks to CPU bottleneck! AMS and rF2 I could run higher fps but it's not really ever a concern and I would just keep RTSS capped to 60 even if I wasted money on 144hz monitors. These monitors are easily enough until I have a lot more PC power. (a few years I would say,as I'm in no hurry to spend a couple of thousand more dollars on gaming.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bull Shark

60 FPS is for me enough as well. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bull Shark

By the way, your inspector settings are nice when I use 5760x1080. Did some tweaking to make 1080p look reasonable ok on my 1440p screens. I now can maintain 60fps with fairly high settings. Even when racing with a 10x time speed. From dusk till dawn so to speak. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. 2ndLastJedi

Has anyone found a better than MSAA High option to AMS 2 ? Ive tried all i can think of but cant get rid of the rather bad aliasing at night on cars and on shadows across the track :(
    Sure hope Reiza have some magic AA option in the works !

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

Heitor Facuri Cicoti Good Member AMS2 Club Member

If you set MSAA to Low or None, Super Sampling becomes available right below.

Is that what you were after?

19. 2ndLastJedi

Well yeah , kind of if ,it made a better alternative . Ive tried that and feel MSAA High is the best of the bad bunch :( Same as pC2 unfortunately . I did all this back at pC2 release and now trying the same things again with the same result . Even nVidia inspector AA methods dont improve the night aliasing or shadow crawl !

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

MSAA High is the best compromise. Suspersampling at max is best but tanks FPS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1