Question about the graphics please

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Kostis Vigos, May 10, 2016.

1. Kostis Vigos

Kostis Vigos Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi everyone!

I have been wondering: Is it possible to add the option to enable self-shadows in-car? (Apparently only for the car that the camera is following) It is an addition most people won't even notice (until they do) but it will add so much more realism to the image quality! (and nicer graphics might attract more people to AMS)

I'm uploading an example to make it easier for everyone to understand what I mean by "self-shadows"

Thank you!

self shadows.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Im not sure if this engine can do it. And Alex himself has stated that no work on shadows will be done going forward.

Nice little pic vo :)

3. roby13

roby13 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

no not possible atm

4. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd love to eventually see this implemented somehow, AMS is the only current title without it. Proper cockpit shadowing would be a real boost to immersion and help alleviate the feeling that you're driving in a cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

i reinstalled rf2 last night, and I'm stumped to why people think the GFX is poor in that, i think it looks bloody lifelike!! Ams looks great too... No sim looks poor now days.!

6. tpw

The last 2 builds of rF2 fixed the woeful tonemapping, so the game lost its horrid grey/green cast and the lighting no longer looks like it's overcast all the time. I think it finally looks good too - especially the HDR lighting. IMHO the main visual problem with rF2 is the inconsistent quality of the assets - some tracks and cars look fantastic, others look like 2003 called and want their stuff back. For all the visual shortcomings of AMS's engine, its assets are very consistent.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kostis Vigos

Kostis Vigos Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not that AMS looks bad.. It's OK for the most part. But I have been playing this and every time I had been wondering "there's something wrong with what I see.."... until I got it. Now the OCD won't leave me in peace..! And I don't think it is not possible to do as Roby13 says.

For gamers like myself, casual noob racing fans, the shadows on the cars, the overall image believability, if I may say, are a bit more important than the realistic anti-roll bar behavior or any other (probably important) complex mechanical stuff (without implying that this isn't important as well)

So, Reiza studios, please think about it! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. roby13

i said not possible at the moment :) if reiza has the financial and time resources, everything is doable

• Like Like x 1
  9. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza doesn't really have lots of time to focus on major updates of AMS beside what has been outlined in the indiegogo campaign.

Just as a little refresher on Reiza17:
    So all tracks and cars Reiza creates now can be used in Reiza17, so that's no lost development time, but something like in-cockpit shadows (which give a HUGE immersion boost) seems to be too time-consuming to implement.

And although i somewhat doubt that we will see Reiza17 in Q4 2016, the Beta for it might be accessible before 2017, and now let's do some calculation on development times...

10. casusbelli

casusbelli New Member AMS2 Club Member

It bothers me quite a bit too, but it might require too much of a graphics engine overhaul to make it in AMS. For Reiza 17 it's a given.

11. AosudiF1

AosudiF1 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope they can manage to get a good modern graphics engine on the new Game for 2017.

I have Assetto Corsa, and even though I do not like the approach they have taken with the game, graphics and sound wise, the thing just works. It looks and sounds great, and not only that, it manages to get modded cars and tracks looking great as well, even though probably Automobilista's content (including many mods) is probably of better quality.

I would love to see AMS with a modern engine for 2017. I think it would really improve visually all the great content that Reiza already has, and hopefully, open up the game to a broader target of players without necessarily compromise the direction Reiza's games have followed so far.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Since i race in Automobilista i haven't been back to Assetto Corsa often, and if i do, the graphic engine used in AC is one the reason to go back to AMS again.
    The textures and shadows in AC are flickering and interfering, I love the clear and rock solid graphics of AMS.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The problem with replacing shadows in cars is that it means replacing the shadow system in the entire game, which is likely to be a lengthy process for all content, potentially requiring re-export of all content. And dependent on the direction of the next game it could well be a 'dead' development too. That said, it would be really nice to have proper shadows and would make a big difference. So it's a tricky one.

14. roby13

???

15. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

What Alex means is that since it´s unlikely we´ll keep using the current graphics engine at all in the future, any further allocation of resources to developing it would not be worthwhile in the long run. The time and effort required to make substantial gains are just not viable.

It´s important not to lose sight of what AMS is - a short term 6-12 month project to get us a substantially better sim than SCE out there today, rather than 15-20 months from now. That major graphics upgrade will come with the next product.

• Like Like x 6
  16. AosudiF1

AosudiF1 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In my humble opinion, AMS looks as good as it should. Maybe adding a bit of functionality would be good (better seat/view adjustments, better replay system, a bit less bumpy AI). But as planned, there is a new title for next year... I just do not think it is justifiable to invest time in a major overhaul of AMS. As is, it is a good title. And pushing the new content with strong enough marketing should pay off, I think.

I do feel that for 2017 there needs to be an overhaul of the game, and not just focusing on content. Physics-wise, I think we all agree Reiza is on top. It would be great to match that with Visuals and Sounds. Again, not saying the current ones are bad by any mean, but the other titles seem to be a step ahead (again, this is all subjective). Some people like AMS over AC on graphics. I just think that does not make a lot of sense, but then again, to each their own.

Keep it up guys, you are building something good here. Hopefully you will have the success the quality of your work deserves.

17. wowbagger

wowbagger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My preference would be that in the next game, whatever the graphics engine, please try to steer clear of the current trend of bloom this, motion blur that, and ultra-reflect the other plus everything else.

I think too many games lose sight of the end product in the rush to put trendy video technologies in the game and catch phrases in the tag lines. I'm all for clever use of shadows and reflections to make things seem life like. But too often subtlety is forsaken and you end up with something that looks like a Michael Bay - Jerry Bruckheimer love child, and has no sense of reality about it.

Every time I see motion blur in a game I want to close my eyes and make it stop. Our eyes + mind don't see the world like that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. tpw

Thanks Renato, this made me feel all warm and fuzzy! AMS is a fantastic sim, let down only by the shortcomings of its graphics engine. The 2017 version with a graphics engine that allows the assets to really shine will be awesime.

19. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't see the big issue with the graphics. They are fine as they are. Who is really looking too closely at graphics while battling or doing a hotlap anyway?. Physics will always be a priority for me and it's why I play AMS.

• Like Like x 4
  20. wowbagger

wowbagger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, this is true.

Every time they release a new battlefield, it is all shiny bells and whistles. And then, after 5 minutes playtime you no longer notice because you are too busy playing the damn game.

edit: yes I know there hasn't been a decent bf since bc2