1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti aliasing

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Nov 22, 2019.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I dont even think it improves the image really ! I hope we get TAA ! That made all the difference to AC , yes it does introduce a bit of blur but at least imo that isnt distracting like this is ! I can almost miss apexes because of the shadow crawl and not seeing the corner properly ! Its not good !

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Play on a single 4K monitor and it will be better...:whistle:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

Well i played pC2 on a single 4k monitor and i notice exactly the same aliasing then as i do now on AMS 2 !! o_O I went from 55" 4k TV to VR to 40" 4k Monitor to 27"1080p triples ! Stoked with triples in all sims over all my other options ive had but this Madness engine has aliasing issues since day 1 ! Im not the only person who it bothered back in the day and im sure once AMS 2 hits the masses its going to be a talking point , and probably not a good one .
    This is why i asked about this well prior to release hoping Reiza would see it as priority .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I am using MSAA Low and I am fine with it. Perhaps I need to test some more, but I don't see jaggy lines. Performance is everything for me , tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2ndLastJedi

Do you use a 19" 1440p monitor or something ,lol
    Try driving in a Caterham with rollcage at 23:00 at Brands with Ai and tell me you dont see a whole heap of lines all over the Ai cars ! Then do Montreal at 16:00 clear and check the shadows coming across the track ! They are quite distracting imo .
    There are some tracks and time of day that have minimal issues , ive limited myself to overcast daytime driving atm and MSAA High as with all settings maxed out at 5830x1080.

6. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

No. I am on 3440x1440. The only lines I see a bit jagged are the rail-shadows during pit-exit. But when I am racing I don't look at all those stuff anyway.

7. Kolysion

Kolysion BANNED BANNED

it's like I was afraid exatcly like pCars 2....with a powerfull GPU like the 3080ti, I hope I can use Supersampling to ultra...

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  8. Stephen Llewellyn

Stephen Llewellyn Member AMS2 Club Member

This option does not enable in VR though.

9. Oscar 1900

Oscar 1900 New Member AMS2 Club Member

VR Here.
    Well, I have to say that the jaggies are very prominent. Donington Park at 9:00 AM. Back straight is a horrible mess. After spending about 1 hour in AMS2 I went to ACC and even with the bad performance that UE4 has, it was a lot more appealing due to the shadow jaggies in AMS2. I hope Reiza can fix this problem.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. 2ndLastJedi

Im happy to see others agree with me on this issue! Pretty important considering the move to Madness was to upgrade the visuals! AMS1 was overall a cleaner image,only really missing VR. I hope for TAA in a update very soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. 2ndLastJedi

I just went back and had a race in ACC at night ....man does that look good ! I did Suzuka night to compare to "not" Suzuka in AMS 2 and well let me just say , i wont be rushing back to "not" Suzuka anytime soon to have a night race o_O now im just sad for the prospects of a better AA in AMS 2 ! Please....
    Please,please let AMS 2 get TAA !
    I know some dont like it but thats why its so good to have choice , you like it , you use it and im sure most given the option would choose to have shimmer free racing in AMS 2 over that minimal ghosting that is in ACC !

PLEASE @ Reiza put this on your list .

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

Heitor Facuri Cicoti Good Member AMS2 Club Member

The guys already have some solutions in mind. It will be worked on in its time.

Obs: And those solutions are from before your batch of posts on the topic :p

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. 2ndLastJedi

Really? There is something coming? You really know how to make me happy!

I've had people agree with me and others tell me there are bigger issue than AA, honestly I'm not worried about FFB or physics because I have complete faith in Reiza and their passion and ability to get the cars driving and feeling perfectly, so I don't really feel the need to make comments or suggestions on those topics but something like the AA I wasn't sure what could or would be done.
    Thank you for letting me /us know there is a better AA alternative coming. In super happy now. I was just telling my Son last night how mixed I was feeling about AMS2 purely because of the aliasing that I just can't look past, it doesn't matter how good it feels if om constantly reminded that I'm playing a game. So again thank you for AMS2 and your ongoing work to make it everything I'd hope it will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

:p I did make the OP back in November ;)

15. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's amusing that some here ask for TAA when for other games (not sims), gamers complain about TAA because it is often too blurry (this can be alleviated a bit with a sharpening filter, but still). MSAA is not entirely bad and has its limits, but at least it does not produce a blurry image.
    Ideally, we could have the choice for both (Unreal Engine offers both options for forward renderers which the Madness Engine is) and apparently MSAA is still preferred for VR where blurriness is a no go.
    I'm playing on a 4K 27" monitor with MSAA set at max (can anybody at Reiza confirm if it is 4x or 8x MSAA ?) and 4K at that size really helps for a cleaner image (not only for AA but also exceptional clarity in the distance). It really depends on time of day/ weather though, with low sun being the worst case causing noticeable aliasing on shadows. In most cases though, image quality is largely acceptable in term of aliasing on that setup. But I have no idea on how bad it is at say 1080p...
    Some weather conditions (cloudy, hazy, ...) reduce aliasing a lot making it less or not noticeable on my setup. Hazy in particular really helps and adds a nice supplementary "depth" to the image.
    Anyway, proper AA has always been a challenge since 3D games exist, and not an easy one to solve (or with tradeoff such as introduced blurriness with TAA), especially as rendering techniques get more complex with more than just edge aliasing.

EDIT: if you are not already maximizing your GPU usage, you can use NVIDIA DSR (or AMD equivalent) to render the game at a higher resolution than your monitor and improve AA a bit this way.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  16. 2ndLastJedi

TAA, MSAA, i don't care what it's called as long as it works, i don't love the blur that comes with TAA but I'd take it over the shimmer!

You may be right and it's not actually aliasing but rather low resolution shadows causing the whole issue. I read another post saying that shadows off makes it look amazing! I haven't tried because I need shadows.

Maybe higher resolution shadows could fix the whole issue.

But there is a shimmer at night on the back of cars and on helmets!

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I would say it's almost all shadows that are the problem. The shadows are noticeably poorer quality resolution and AA than the rest of the scene. 90% of the issues that bother my eyes (same as for you) come from the shadows.

I can only assume if they improve the quality of the shadows it will kill frame rates. Otherwise, they wouldn't have had reduced quality in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

Heitor Facuri Cicoti Good Member AMS2 Club Member

I personally can't see anything wrong with the image I see when driving. But devs aren't fully satisfied yet, so that's what counts.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

The image and general AA (on some reasonable setting) is great for me.

The problem is that poor rendering of shadows ruins the rest of the image, particularly when in motion. The shadows shimmer (or slight flicker) in the distance and generally cause the area around them to look bad due to the lower level of AA than is applied to the non-shadowed area.

It's why the scene looks much better on a cloudy day than in bright sun.

It is not a difficult problem to see or to diagnose, but to solve it will likely have severe performance penalties. Unless the team has an ingenious approach.

AMS1 had exactly the same problem (as do all rFactor-based games), but the team solved it by building in SGSS into the Graphics Config options. Problem solved. The performance penalty was also severe, but since the graphics engine was so old, many people could run it on maximum graphics settings and still get amazing frame rates. That is no longer the case :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Please don't implement TAA, it's terrible. Look at what happens to ACC with TAA, the dash becomes blurry and VR is basically unusable. TAA simply blurs everything in the background to make it look like it doesn't have any aliasing. If it's so good, why did Kunos go to all the trouble to implement KTAA post launch?

Skip TAA, use what you have.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1