1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti aliasing

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

What's wrong with SMAA? On medium and high it does quite a job on 3440x1440. Sometimes it's a bit jaggy, but it depends on the weather. FXAA blurs everything. MSAA Low, medium, high and ultra do kill your fps by 20/30/50 fps at dusk and night.

2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I doubt Reiza is going to add TAA anytime soon. If it was a viable solution in the Madness Engine, you bet it would be there already.
    My guess is that they are going to optimize graphical elements causing excessive aliasing. There is at least: shadows with low sun, some residual edge aliasing on some tracks, aliasing on cars with lighting at night.
    Also, if MSAA at High (which is the maximum) is currently capped at 4x (I have no idea if this is the case), I hope a 8x option will be offered.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bobbie424242

There is no MSAA Ultra. It caps at High.
    I just compared SMAA Ultra against MSAA High and (expectedly) MSAA High is vastly superior (comparison done at 4K maxed out).
    For example on Imola, With SMAA Ultra there is a lot of residual edge aliasing on fences, spectator stands and banners. It's almost gone and barely noticeable with MSAA High.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

But what's wrong with having an option? TAA for me shimmer for you! I personally usa TAA in ACC and don't see an issue!

5. 2ndLastJedi

Asks question, answers own question ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Óscar Melero

Óscar Melero foxtochop AMS2 Club Member

IMO, TAA is ugly as hell.

Numbers on cockpit like speed and gears do a ghost effect when changing, specially speed which changes very fast.

I'm very happy with MSAA at High.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

I think this is a personal preference. You can’t decide for others what is ugly or not. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's why he said "IMO" ;)
    I also agree TAA is ugly and blurry mess, but i have nothing against having the option to set it on or off.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. vortex

vortex Member

Most people who use ACC don’t see the blurry dash and backgrounds with TAA (I certainly don’t). Look at the streams on YouTube - no blurry graphics there. What is a problem for some people with TAA is slight ghosting behind the cars during replay (not when racing). KTAA was introduced to reduce this at the expense of slightly worse AA when in-cockpit.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Marius H

Have you also tried it at durk or night with 20+ AI. MSAA kills the framerate. Guess it's no problem if you race at 60hz/fps. I am curious if there are better AA with minimal performance hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Óscar Melero

Óscar Melero foxtochop AMS2 Club Member

That's why I like to start those kind of statements with IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't really have an issue with the AA and I am an AA 'whore', it looks a lot better than PC2 which seemed to crawl on the edges, I don't see this in AMS2 with MSAA on high.

There are some bits I see but the main one the white line on track and barriers/fences look great, I had a real issue in PC2 with this, I suppose it could also be monitor dependant plus how people see things differently.

13. Oscar 1900

Oscar 1900 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have to say that ACC with TAA looks better at the moment **for me** than AMS2. Yes, it does have blurriness, but at least I don't miss apexes b/c the shimmer is in the way. However, I'm not a game developer so I will not suggest that Reiza implements TAA since I hope the team has a much better way to fix the problem :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bobbie424242

Just tried 20 AI Ultima GTR Race on Adelaide at midnight and with MSAA High: GPU usage is exactly the same than in daylight. Playing at 4K, graphics maxed out with system in signature. My target is of course 60 fps. It reaches it without problem, using 70-80% GPU usage. Only replays go sometimes lower than 60 fps.

15. Marius H

Great. Thank you for the reply. I tried MSAA Medium now. Daylight. 25 AI. It was stable 97 everywhere. (I am amazed how Madness handle the AI.) However, when I am in a situation when the AI and me need to use headlights I get performance hits with 20/30 fps. I think it's because of all the shadows these headlights render, and then GPU/CPU has to do more cause they need to MSAA all these shadows.

For normal racing within the regulations aka daylight and such MSAA does it job. Once you go full crazy with headlights, racing in the night, etc then it takes an performance hit. Then it's wise to use SMAA.

I've to agree MSAA on Medium and High looks awesome.

16. 2ndLastJedi

TAA Bruh, it's great at removing jaggies and also very light.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

And that is why I added a happy face. :D

18. 2ndLastJedi

Yeah , its not normal aliasing as i talked about previously , its the shadows ! The shadows are the sole contributor of all the jaggies and shimmer that is plaguing Madness engine !
    If i set to full clouds or even turn shadows off altogether the problem is gone !! Turning shadows off isnt really a solution for obvious reasons and going full overcast takes away the beautiful lighting that Madness can achieve .
    So i hope the solution @Heitor Facuri Cicoti talked of in post #32 has a shadow element as it would be sad if this got left un altered as left by SMS .
    Also not only do current shadows create ugly shimmer across the track but they also move around and pop in and out , kind of dance even when time progression is off . I made a report on this in the track feedback area of 51 .

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

100% of my issues are with shadows. The rest is great (with MSAA).

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. 2ndLastJedi

Yeah i just lowered MSAA to medium and its still fine as long as there are no shadows! As soon as shadows cross the track.... Eek! Shimmer city.

• Agree Agree x 1