Controller management annoyance

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by PIO79EK, May 23, 2016.

1. PIO79EK

PIO79EK New Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok, I have Thrustmaster TX wheel and Thrustmaster shifter. The annoying thing is depending on which device is plugged into USB first, it becomes JOY1 and the other device becomes JOY2. If I have all of my button mappings set for JOY1 (the wheel) and I plug in the shifter. The shifter will become JOY1 and the wheel JOY2. This is really annoying now because I have to remap all of my wheel buttons to JOY2.
    The only solution I see to this is to make multiple controller profiles for the wheel as JOY1 and JOY2. That way I can load them accordingly. But I think it would be nice if the device could be detected by the game and reassign button mappings automatically.

2. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

yeah this happens to me (t300 gte/th8a) also on rf2 I have to make sure I use the same usbs for each device!

3. gongo

gongo Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

-

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  4. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

There isn't a way to force Joy order on win?It's annoyng, maybe a usb hub (with switches for each USB port) can help?

5. Morello

Morello New Member AMS2 Club Member

This is a long-running annoyance with Windows, but there are tools out there that will allow you to change the ID# of devices. If you google "joyid" you should find a couple of flight sim forums hosting the program, which you can use to shuffle the IDs of the controllers around after plugging them in.

6. DaVeX

Thanks a lot, I will give it a try!!!
    Here a link to download it: JoyIDsInstall.zip
    I found it works with Win10 but there is an advice "With JoyIDs you can 'swap' the id's around in the order you want..after swapping ID's make sure you First reboot windows"
    Seems a bit dated, maybe can be rewritten and improved...???

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  7. DaVeX

Has someone tested it?
    I am not sure if works or not...
    After rearranging all my devices AC needed to be configured again but AMS not...:confused:
    G27 still recognized as joy5 and shifter (bodnar cable) as joy1, even if I assigned joy1 to wheel and joy2 to shifter...maybe I should have the Joyid working on background?

8. PIO79EK

PIO79EK New Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I am using hub for some devices. I had the shifter mapped to JOY1 but then the other day it registered as JOY3. And I have to remap it again :mad:

Hopefully that solution there works.

9. Morello

Morello New Member AMS2 Club Member

Looks like the system used for input in AMS doesn't use this way of assigning controllers, so it looks like it won't work. Seems it uses them in whichever order they are in the Game Controllers control panel, which doesn't change with changing the JoyID , so looks like a Windows quirk. Not sure if this is different in Win8 / 10 to XP. Would have thought someone has made a different tool with a way of changing this order.

10. DaVeX

:( still no way...any solutions guys?

11. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

if any help I had to quick format my pc, and this time I plugged in the controllers (to reinstall) in other way round. An I indeed got the wheel to appear first as joy 1. Not saying you need to format but maybe uninstall them and plug them in how you want them to appear.

12. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've only had this issue since I installed Windows 10, can be frustrating but as the op said I've all also created multiple controller profiles to cure the problem.

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have same issue while running wheel and 2 button boxes. I hope Reiza will will look at doing something about this. I believe it is a fundamental that should be a priority.